The Student Room Group

what are general things that make people attracted to each other ?

Scroll to see replies

In some studies both partners were rated on a scale of physical attractiveness by multiple participants then an average rating was obtained and the ratings of both partners were compared
Not sure if that would go down well in a dissertation. 😉
Original post by chanel_666
I have to write a dissertation style essay about attraction, even tho it's irrelevant to my subjects :angry::angry:
I'm allowed to interpret attraction however I want, but I guess the easier option would be attraction between people
so what makes u attracted to other people (doesn't have to be romantically)

edit: can u state ur gender too and which gender ur attracted to

Female attracted to male.

What attracts me:
Intelligence
Wisdom
Common sense
Cleanliness
Appearance
Relationships with other people (has to openly love his mum etc) 😚
Smartly dressed
Well groomed
Sense of humour
Nice smile
Nice bod
Oh wow. Good one. I have been swept off my feet.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 24
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :toofunny:
Idk it's subjective I was just giving the information she asked for. Gosh
I have to write a dissertation style essay about attraction, even tho it's irrelevant to my subjects :angry::angry:
I'm allowed to interpret attraction however I want, but I guess the easier option would be attraction between people
so what makes u attracted to other people (doesn't have to be romantically)

edit: can u state ur gender too and which gender ur attracted to

Not sure how psychological this is, but I like conversation flowing easily? If it's not forced and I genuinely enjoy it then I will be more likely to catch feelings. Have you thought about attractions to objects? In different terms. Like there are people who have actual attractions to objects, or you can study why we are attracted to objects and want to buy them, not necessarily actual attraction

Spoiler

Original post by Confuseeed
Not sure how psychological this is, but I like conversation flowing easily? If it's not forced and I genuinely enjoy it then I will be more likely to catch feelings. Have you thought about attractions to objects? In different terms. Like there are people who have actual attractions to objects, or you can study why we are attracted to objects and want to buy them, not necessarily actual attraction

In terms of approaches, I guess you can make it fit into most of them? Behaviourist - get good feelings from being around that person, which then makes you want to spend more time with them which causes attraction to grow and etc etc
Not being so irritating might help you
Reply 30
Intelligence, humour, smile, looks ofc, smell and confidence is a big one. I tend to look for the smaller things, although looks are still important
You'll also say those words when I reject you. 😚
Boi :angry: she just stated a study not her opinion leave her alone
Original post by eden3
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :toofunny:

Y u always salty with my girl huh ??
Reply 34
Y u always salty with my girl huh ??

?

I just found what said to be funny af :lol: I would've LOL'd regardless of who he replied to. Idgaf about online strangers enough to actually dislike them or hold grudges against them :lol:
Kindness , height
Original post by faloodeh
nice smell @orderofthelotus :wink:

f r a g r a n c e
Original post by _princessxox
psychology viewpoints vary but some common factors affecting attraction:

Buss (1989) suggested that men place great importance on the physical appearance of a partner
This physical attraction acts as a cue to a women's health and the fertility and reproductive value of the woman
men are said to prefer neoteny (big eyes, small nose etc.), small waist to hip ratio and symmetrical faces in female partners

Women place the same importance on physical attractiveness for short term relationships, they prefer tall, strong men who have good facial symmetry, they also prefer older men.
When it comes to long term relationships it's suggested that women place a higher importance on other factors such as financial status however, it's still important that their partner is physically attractive as it means their children are likely to inherit these genes, making them more likely to reproduce and pass on the same genes. (I can't think of any studies for this rn)

You should research the matching hypothesis, it basically explains how an individual is more likely to form successful relationships with someone who is roughly the same in terms of physical attractiveness

If you need anymore help just message me obviously

lol did you get this from tai lopez?
Original post by Angry Bird
lol did you get this from tai lopez?

No, I learnt it in A level psychology :smile:
I think it depends on what sort of person you are.
I'm personally attracted to looks AND personality. (E.g. if someone's super hot, but they have no sense of humour and are a complete narcissist, then I'll go off the person quickly, because I just find that kind of behaviour boring). It's only if you're madly and ridiculously in love with someone, that you'll be oblivious and blind to their true behaviour. (Like Bella Swan and Anastasia Steele. I know, I hate mentioning them, too, but let's face it, they are pretty stupid...)
I think it depends on whether you are superficial or not. You don't have to be clever to be superficial. I know people who get amazing grades or whatever, but aren't a good judge of character.
Super narcissistic people are only attracted to themselves and obviously everyone else admiring them. They aren't intellectual at all.
Whereas, normal people are attracted to looks, because that is what they'll first see, but it's when they get to know them, that they'll discover what their personalities are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending