The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by constantine2016
Your religious beliefs are your own. There isn't as much hate around Muslims as people like to pretend there is. Especially if you live in a big city like London, no one cares what you believe.

I used to think the same but then a Muslim girl I know (wears the hijab) got verbally abused on a bus - she was so scared she had to get off at the next top.

While the prevelence of "Islamaphobia" is exaggerated the level of anti Muslim hate crime does seem to be rising.

Even in London I wouldn't advise a hijabi to walk alone on the streets of Barking/Dagenham at 2am.
Reply 21
While I grossly disagree with religion, you should most definitely not feel ashamed about it. It is your beliefe at the end of the day, and if you hold a belief you should hold it proudly :smile:
Original post by IMissMyDad
I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace :smile:

Firstly, it isn't. Secondly, what bearing does that have on whether it's true?
Original post by Avaia
While I grossly disagree with religion, you should most definitely not feel ashamed about it. It is your beliefe at the end of the day, and if you hold a belief you should hold it proudly :smile:

Even when there is zero evidence for it? Might as well be proud of believing in fairies, ghosts, pixies ..
Reply 24
Original post by RogerOxon
Even when there is zero evidence for it? Might as well be proud of believing in fairies, ghosts, pixies ..

I can see your point, but if you don't stand by your beliefs then what do you stand for, there is no point having a belief if you are not going to defend it and be proud of it, while i agree it is not a logical belief, but if you are going to have the belief you should have some conviction in it
I can understand that view. Religion is the cause for most wars and I can certainly agree. Religion helps me live my daily life positively

You know what helps me live my daily life in a positive way?
Coke and hookers.
Reply 26
I used to dislike Islam. However after doing some research about their faith I have realised that Islam is a religion of peace :smile:

This makes me laugh and is actually insulting. ALL religions preach peace. Come on, tell us which religions preach hate? Why do you single out Islam as being peaceful. Have you seen what the Saudis and Iranians do to gay people or adulterers or thieves?
Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?

Definitely be open about it. It's your beliefs at the end of that day. Just put your trust in Allah to protect you and then no one can cause you any harm. It's just life there is too little time to be wasted on other people's morals and beliefs just go with what your heart says and don't fear people, easy said then done. But honestly not caring too much about the the effects your actions have (as long as they are not harmful), will help you so much!
Original post by Avaia
I can see your point, but if you don't stand by your beliefs then what do you stand for, there is no point having a belief if you are not going to defend it and be proud of it, while i agree it is not a logical belief, but if you are going to have the belief you should have some conviction in it

Frankly, I'd pick beliefs that are defensible. If you're going to go for a big claim, you'd better have good evidence.

We should all know when we believe things without good reason, and not shout about it.
Allah accepts and forgives all :smile:

That's not what the Quran says.
Original post by RogerOxon
That's not what the Quran says.

"O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of Allah . Indeed, Allah forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

tbh Allah does forgive all, also it is about how you interpret the Quran.
Original post by DYoverDX
No be ashamed of poor grammar.

*No, be ashamed of the/your poor grammar.
Hello, I used to be a Christian however I have since converted to Islam and I don't know if I should be open about it due to the hate around Muslims.

Could someone help?

Why would you be ashamed of doing what you thought was a good thing for yourself?
Original post by naso
Yes, you're in favor of a religion that makes women wear burkas and makes it followers blow up for the sake of their God.

I feel so sorry for you, your ego, and your arrogance.

There is a whole chapter in the Quran dedicated to women, that's how elevated the rank of females is in Islam, and there is not a chapter on men. Women choose to wear hijabs and burqas on there own, they are not forced by anyone. Unlike this idiotic western society that forces women to go naked to please men, forces women to wear high heels, forces women to look a certain way, and barely any respect is given to women even if they do these things.

Those who blow themselves up are not Muslim in any way, nor have they achieved martyrdom.

Could someone help?

Congratulations.

There is no need to tell anyone that you are Muslim, you haven't converted to Islam so that others can be pleased with you or to gain other peoples praise. You have converted because you have been guided, and believe that Islam is the truth.

If anyone asks about your religion then just tell them that you are a Muslim.

Please do make sure that you read the context (tafsir) of most verses of the Quran, when you choose to read it, so that you understand what Allah is saying.

I wish you all the best on this amazing path you have taken.

Peace.
Reply 35
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Congratulations.

There is no need to tell anyone that you are Muslim, you haven't converted to Islam so that others can be pleased with you ...

Peace.

Would you be preaching the same thing to someone who converts AWAY from Islam?
It is fully up to you. When you feel the time is right.... Do not let anyone put pressure on you. Peace.
Original post by ukrj
Would you be preaching the same thing to someone who converts AWAY from Islam?

I wouldn't add the "congratulations" if someone converted away from Islam. But the rest of it depends on the information given.

Could someone help?
no one can help you : your decision, your choices, your beliefs

(my personal opinion : from the frying pan to the fire)

best
Reply 39
Yes you should and need to be ashamed of converting to Islam. God will not be pleased that you have forsaken Him to follow a false god. I'm sorry you miss your Dad but you are making a grave mistake in forsaking the LORD. You must turn back to the True God the Lord Jesus Christ and repent of this idolatry and blasphemy!!PLEASE READ THE HOLY SCRIPTURES FROM THE BIBLE:Now in return for the same (I speak as to children), you also be open. Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

Latest