The Student Room Group

Can't find a job!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by That_Hijabi
I just said that I'm looking for a rewarding career in Retail and all that.

I'd remove it TBH. I just have my Address and contact details at the top, education listed/certificates and I didn't put my grades. Then the languages I speak (two) and a small section for hobbies. Then at the bottom "References upon request"

I've been rejected from multiple jobs and some of them even took the time to send me an email complimenting my CV. Just plain and simple is best. I wasn't getting any job offers before when I had an introduction about myself.
Original post by mistypoison
I'd remove it TBH. I just have my Address and contact details at the top, education listed/certificates and I didn't put my grades. Then the languages I speak (two) and a small section for hobbies. Then at the bottom "References upon request"

I've been rejected from multiple jobs and some of them even took the time to send me an email complimenting my CV. Just plain and simple is best. I wasn't getting any job offers before when I had an introduction about myself.

Others are saying to make it detailed as possible and I can see why they would say that as it shows you made an effort..
Others are saying to make it detailed as possible and I can see why they would say that as it shows you made an effort..

I also think you should remove things like that. Keep the CV basic (but with relevant skills etc included) and easy to read. Things like that (but worded better) are to be put in cover letters or 'why you want this job' sections of application forms

My CV structure is
1. name + contact details below it (fairly small so they don't take up much space)
2. Education (most recent first) just with the place I studied, subject(s), grade(s)
3. Work experience (most recent first, brief description of what I did and skills developed by that, this is where you should mention relevant skills that you have the evidence for)
4. Other skills bit (small) with skills I have that weren't gained through work experience/are a bit generic so only need a few words on
5. My interests (make sure they are true, dont put many, make sure they arent like going out with friends, try to make them something the employer desires ie for a software dev job I mention I like to further my programming knowledge)

Edit: try and keep your CV to 1 side of A4 only (at least in this stage of your life when you dont have loads of super relevant stuff) any longer can put recruiters off reading it
(edited 6 years ago)

You should definitely have an introduction/summary on your CV. Sometimes that will be all the recruiter looks at and you want to summarise what you can offer there.
Original post by Student-95
You should definitely have an introduction/summary on your CV. Sometimes that will be all the recruiter looks at and you want to summarise what you can offer there.

Introduction/summary's are better for the cover letter though.
Introduction/summary's are better for the cover letter though.

They should both have one.
They should both have one.

No they shouldn't, summary/introduction is for cover letter or the application form section not CV. (at least from my experience when applying for internships, jobs and from uni career service advice)
Original post by madmadmax321
No they shouldn't, summary/introduction is for cover letter or the application form section not CV. (at least from my experience when applying for internships, jobs and from uni career service advice)

Yes they should. The first paragraph of the CL should introduce yourself and the CV should open with a personal statement.
Yes they should. The first paragraph of the CL should introduce yourself and the CV should open with a personal statement.

We just have different opinions on the matter then, I have always been told to never include stuff like that in a CV by careers advisers, recruiters for companies etc and have had a good success rate at turning CV applications into interviews (which is really the point of the CV imo) from part time jobs to jobs that require a degree
(edited 6 years ago)
We just have different opinions on the matter then, I have always been told to never include stuff like that in a CV by careers advisers, recruiters for companies etc and have had a good success rate at turning CV applications into interviews (which is really the point of the CV imo) from part time jobs to jobs that require a degree

Are you in the UK? A personal statement on a CV may not be essential but it's definitely the standard.
Are you in the UK? A personal statement on a CV may not be essential but it's definitely the standard.

Yes I am, I have never heard of it being the standard
Yes I am, I have never heard of it being the standard

Really? Where abouts? If you look at example CVs and most career websites the majority will open with a personal statement.
Really? Where abouts? If you look at example CVs and most career websites the majority will open with a personal statement.

I'm from south west England, I actually think people with personal statements had their parents make their CV. Because it seems to be what the older generation did, but isn't considered a standard thing to do anymore.
I'm from south west England, I actually think people with personal statements had their parents make their CV. Because it seems to be what the older generation did, but isn't considered a standard thing to do anymore.

Sure it is. And most recruiters will be from your parents' generation anyway. It is recommended because that is the first, and perhaps the only thing they read. If you have a personal statement then people can quickly skim your CV (as many recruiters will) and get a good idea of what you offer. Without it, they only get the full picture if they take the time to read your while CV.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending