The Student Room Group

GIVE ME TIPS TO GET A*s and 9s in GCSE

Comment.
Do your homework the day it is set, check your understanding every day, do practice papers and past papers, make mind maps, quizzes, posters, your own exam questions. Read examiner reports, make notes and re-make notes. Make flash cards. Take regular breaks in your revision. Anything you don't understand make sure you get it sorted as soon as possible. Attend revision sessions.
Avoid relationships/crushes
Reply 3
Original post by DrawTheLine
Do your homework the day it is set, check your understanding every day, do practice papers and past papers, make mind maps, quizzes, posters, your own exam questions. Read examiner reports, make notes and re-make notes. Make flash cards. Take regular breaks in your revision. Anything you don't understand make sure you get it sorted as soon as possible. Attend revision sessions.

Thank you very much, I'll keep note of this.
I managed to get a 9 in English Literature and I can honestly say it's about finding some sort of passion for what you're learning. I wasn't a massive fan of English until half way through year 11. Previously, I was getting grade 7's (with sometimes a grade 8 every now and again) until I found that actually, I really enjoyed the texts. Consequently, I watched MrBruff (my saviour) constantly and did a lot of practice essays (I mean a sh*t ton) and got them graded by my teacher.

In terms of revision - associating the texts to everyday life and making jokes/puns relating to the texts especially with friends works wonders.

I think it's really faking it til you make it with the whole passion thing. At the end of the day (like any subject) just do tons of practice and you should do brilliantly :smile:

Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget to memorise quotes. I ended up finding 'universal' quotes from my texts which I could argue fitted with most questions they could ask which cuts down the need for massive lists of quotes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
For English Language I second Mr Bruff's You Tube channel, but it's also worth getting his booklet which is something like £4 from his website.

Learn the basic parts of speech, sentence structure, the technical devices including discourse markers, then why paragraphs are grouped a certain way. Most important learn to read what is inferred in the piece (i.e. what is suggested by the way it is written, but not actually put into words). For instance is the person described as bright eyed and bushy tailed meaning they are a happy person, or that they frown, are moody, dark and dismal for a depressed person or witch.

Also know what you need to do in each paper and what question, as they are similar, also the timings for each.

You'll need to know how to write an article, essay, letter, newspaper report etc.

PS I had to do a 10 minute presentation to get into the exam, so think on a subject you know really well to talk about and give a power point presentation.

PPS I found mind maps were brilliant, as well as cheat sheets all in a note book I carried with me everywhere and studied in every 5 minutes spare (ie bus rides).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest