The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolto
So I basically have to redo the whole statement? Even though it wasn’t online for a min, I can certainly change it with different words and different sentence and it wasn’t my completed ps I’m constantly updating it and changing how I kept words together

Its your future, not mine. You can either rewrite it or run the risk that each of the universities to which you have applied, see your application as being plagiarised (UCAS doesn't make the decision, the universities do. UCAS merely tips them off).
Original post by wolto
So I basically have to redo the whole statement? Even though it wasn’t online for a min, I can certainly change it with different words and different sentence and it wasn’t my completed ps I’m constantly updating it and changing how I kept words together

Basically no one can tell for sure if anyone did copy parts of your statement while it was up, so I would be safe and re write it anyway, if your satisfied that you've been changing it enough anyway then that's a choice you have to make when you submit
Reply 22
Original post by Milky_Way
Basically no one can tell for sure if anyone did copy parts of your statement while it was up, so I would be safe and re write it anyway, if your satisfied that you've been changing it enough anyway then that's a choice you have to make when you submit

Hopefully no one copied parts of it, my personal Statement was tailored for me I don’t see why someone will copy it and yh I have been updating and adding new lines
Original post by wolto
Hopefully no one copied parts of it, my personal Statement was tailored for me I don’t see why someone will copy it and yh I have been updating and adding new lines

People may have copied things like sentence structure or the general vocabulary, if that happens both of you may be flagged but if they submitted first your PS might have a higher similarity, UCAS won't do anything unless it's 10% or more
Reply 24
People may have copied things like sentence structure or the general vocabulary, if that happens both of you may be flagged but if they submitted first your PS might have a higher similarity, UCAS won't do anything unless it's 10% or more

Can I dispute anything at all? Do I have a chance to prove myself or show it was legit mine?
Changing words won’t help. Ucas run a similarity detector. If you substitute words or change the sentence structure slightly it would still be flagged.
Original post by wolto
Can I dispute anything at all? Do I have a chance to prove myself or show it was legit mine?

I think you can if the statement on the google doc was in an email made in your name, since you didn't post the actual statement here that works in your favour, if the similarity thing does come up you request the similarity report to see what exactly triggered it.
Reply 27
I think you can if the statement on the google doc was in an email made in your name, since you didn't post the actual statement here that works in your favour, if the similarity thing does come up you request the similarity report to see what exactly triggered it.

Ohk yeah I have the proof so hopefully it won’t be flagged in the first place
Reply 28
Original post by PQ
Changing words won’t help. Ucas run a similarity detector. If you substitute words or change the sentence structure slightly it would still be flagged.

I didn’t paste the plain text in here and the actual draft was in google docs, I think even if someone decided to steal it, he wouldn’t steal it word for word
Original post by wolto
I didn’t paste the plain text in here and the actual draft was in google docs, I think even if someone decided to steal it, he wouldn’t steal it word for word

They could.
Is it safe to private message/email them to friends so that they can give you feedback?
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
Is it safe to private message/email them to friends so that they can give you feedback?

It doesn't come up in plagiarism detection from the actual sending, however, you can't be certain that friends won't copy what you've written, which would come up (if they send theirs first)

Latest

Trending

Trending