The Student Room Group

How to get high grades ????

I want to get high than my predicted grades which are overall grade 7s , but don't know how.
Original post by artful_lounger

I can't believe you posted that :biggrin:
Practise past papers right now!
Original post by Anonymous1502
I can't believe you posted that :biggrin:

Pop Princess Britney has all the answers :wink:
Original post by artful_lounger
Pop Princess Britney has all the answers :wink:

I never imagined you as someone who would listen to Britney Spears, let alone post a meme on tsr as a response :biggrin:
Original post by donut_mckenzie28
I want to get high than my predicted grades which are overall grade 7s , but don't know how.

Print out the specification for each subject that you are doing and make notes on each learning outcomes for all ur subject specifications (I'm assuming ur doing 10+ subjects?) and memorise all of them back to front get ur teacher to set u Mock questions / go on the exam website for mock answers and papers and practise all of these months before u exams review them and ask ur teacher wat u could have done better etc etc. Important thing: FIND OUT HOW U LEARN! this is the most important thing! And this is a link to how u can find out wat sort of learner u r:
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml
And whatever u come out with use that learning style for ur subjects and make sure u understand all key concepts and elements. Without understanding the subjects content u won't be able to memorise it. Btw use a wide range of resources the internet is ur best friend whenever ur unsure of a subject content or part of a topic make sure u use it whether it's a website or YouTube video. I'm sorry this is so lengthy but I came from a school that didn't really give any guidance so I was always lacking and know how it feels like wen u can get better grades but don't know how. If you have any questions or are confused just give a quick reply and I'm happy to help. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I never imagined you as someone who would listen to Britney Spears, let alone post a meme on tsr as a response :biggrin:

If it's not obvious I am super gay and have as a result accepted Britney into my life as my lady and saviour.

Also OP the above about learning styles is a very good reference, you may want to explore that to find what suits you best. I for example am terrible aural learning and so find podcasts, lecture recordings and even lectures themselves extremely difficult to learn from.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Janej77
Practise past papers right now!

I'm assuming she's doing the new GCSEs (like me) and there are no past papers only crappy specimen papers.

Original post by donut_mckenzie28

Honestly, I'm not predicted anything less than and a 7 and they're mostly 8s and 9s anyway. How I do it? Don't just learn the material, but learn how to answer the questions in the right way to maximise marks and minimise time. This is especially true in English, where I typically just apply the "think fast, write faster" principle.

Exams don't just test what you know, but how you apply it so you should focus on problem-solving/experiment type questions in STEM subjects, and try to do the questions which require all the stuff you learnt and like 3 or 4 steps to get it down properly. These are the kind of questions you will face in order to get a grade 7 or above.

Learn everything you can as soon as you can. Revise. Treat your mocks like the real thing, so practise revision, memorising etc. You ideally want to get as much relevant information stored into your long-term memory as possible. It is possible to leave all your revision to February and still get good grades when you sit the exam in may, but most high achievers that I know prefer to spread out the revision load.

But don't stress. Anything above and including a 4 is still a pass, and if you put in a lot of effort, and put it in efficiently, you'll get a lot of out of it

Hope this helps :h:
Original post by Thrillanthropist
I'm assuming she's doing the new GCSEs (like me) and there are no past papers only crappy specimen papers.

Honestly, I'm not predicted anything less than and a 7 and they're mostly 8s and 9s anyway. How I do it? Don't just learn the material, but learn how to answer the questions in the right way to maximise marks and minimise time. This is especially true in English, where I typically just apply the "think fast, write faster" principle.

Exams don't just test what you know, but how you apply it so you should focus on problem-solving/experiment type questions in STEM subjects, and try to do the questions which require all the stuff you learnt and like 3 or 4 steps to get it down properly. These are the kind of questions you will face in order to get a grade 7 or above.

Learn everything you can as soon as you can. Revise. Treat your mocks like the real thing, so practise revision, memorising etc. You ideally want to get as much relevant information stored into your long-term memory as possible. It is possible to leave all your revision to February and still get good grades when you sit the exam in may, but most high achievers that I know prefer to spread out the revision load.

But don't stress. Anything above and including a 4 is still a pass, and if you put in a lot of effort, and put it in efficiently, you'll get a lot of out of it

Hope this helps :h:

I done new gcse on maths and English. Practising using past paper questions really helped to improve my grade. Especially for maths.
Original post by Mai_kalantar
Print out the specification for each subject that you are doing and make notes on each learning outcomes for all ur subject specifications (I'm assuming ur doing 10+ subjects?) and memorise all of them back to front get ur teacher to set u Mock questions / go on the exam website for mock answers and papers and practise all of these months before u exams review them and ask ur teacher wat u could have done better etc etc. Important thing: FIND OUT HOW U LEARN! this is the most important thing! And this is a link to how u can find out wat sort of learner u r:
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml
And whatever u come out with use that learning style for ur subjects and make sure u understand all key concepts and elements. Without understanding the subjects content u won't be able to memorise it. Btw use a wide range of resources the internet is ur best friend whenever ur unsure of a subject content or part of a topic make sure u use it whether it's a website or YouTube video. I'm sorry this is so lengthy but I came from a school that didn't really give any guidance so I was always lacking and know how it feels like wen u can get better grades but don't know how. If you have any questions or are confused just give a quick reply and I'm happy to help. :smile:

I personally don't like learning in a group I quite like to watch a video but I need subtitles or notes to read as I am watching to keep track of what the video is saying what style would that be?I also quite like to understand things but to understand sometimes you need to great depths which is not required at a level.
If you watch videos and make notes then your an visaul / aural learner like me :smile:. It's when you learn by listening to videos and having images and pictures etc. and UNDERSTANDING content is the key thing i'm currently doing my A-levels (first year) and when you know what your learning it is much easier to both remember and apply knowledge in exam.
revise for 12 hours straight for the next 8 months.
Original post by JME1993
revise for 12 hours straight for the next 8 months.

That's not a good method.Just start early and do something everyday but you don't have to do 8 hours.You will just burn out.
That's not a good method.Just start early and do something everyday but you don't have to do 8 hours.You will just burn out.

was obviously a joke lol
Original post by JME1993
was obviously a joke lol

I can't recognise sarcasm when it's written down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending