The Student Room Group

Train toooo expensive how do i travel to uni?????

Hi so I got my parents to agree to send me to uni on the condition that I stay home so I checked and it's an hour away on train but a weekly ticket costs £125 I don't get student loan( EU student ) so what can I do????as I'm it allowed to work either helppp
Reply 1
First of all, get a railcard! you save 1/3 on all tickets, I am not 100% sure if you can get one as an EU student but try. Also...commuting is expensive and with no student loan i can't see how you can sustain this :/
Reply 2
Original post by Volibear
On condition? Not allowed to work? You're 18. What were your parents going to do if you refused? Lock the front door on you so you can't escape?

Yes
Reply 3
Original post by Avaia
First of all, get a railcard! you save 1/3 on all tickets, I am not 100% sure if you can get one as an EU student but try. Also...commuting is expensive and with no student loan i can't see how you can sustain this :/

Ahhh I swear this is getting more and more difficult and stressful every day I solve on reissue another creeps up
Reply 4
I don't know if you've heard but they increased rail fares recently. Even with a railcard, a return journey from my hometown to London that used to cost me around £10, is now just under £30 :frown: Means I take the coach all the time now.

You must get student loan thought as British student man it's so shorty to be an eu student right now i feel like crying
Reply 5
I don't know if you've heard but they increased rail fares recently. Even with a railcard, a return journey from my hometown to London that used to cost me around £10, is now just under £30 :frown: Means I take the coach all the time now.

....it's unbelievable -_-
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Ahhh I swear this is getting more and more difficult and stressful every day I solve on reissue another creeps up

Check out MegaBus, if your home and uni are in cities that the bus goes to it could save you a load!
Reply 7
I know it's easier said than done but don't live your life for your parents. One day they'll be dead and you'll realise your life until then has died and was meaningless too. Do you even want to go to university?

Yes it's a loooooong stroy where i wasnt allowed altogether then wasnt allowed to live on campus when they finally agreed bc it was either go uni and get disowned or stay home and have fam and possibly uni so now im stressed out bc the problems keep increasing
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so I got my parents to agree to send me to uni on the condition that I stay home so I checked and it's an hour away on train but a weekly ticket costs £125 I don't get student loan( EU student ) so what can I do????as I'm it allowed to work either helppp

post this question in the student finance section of this forum. They might help if you are an EU STUDENT
Reply 9
Original post by Avaia
Check out MegaBus, if your home and uni are in cities that the bus goes to it could save you a load!

It's basically the same if not more expensive also there's no option for weekly tickets or season tickets smh
Why did they want you to live on campus?

They didn't that's the problem but I've made leave with it bc I'm a really shy and social awkward person so I can't even live alone let alone disowned by my fam entirely sigh
Reply 11
May I ask what your parents reasons are for not wanting you to go to uni or live there?
Maybe university isn't the option for you right now.
Try getting an apprenticeship? Or you just have to work things out with your parents. You are 18, you are able to make your own choices now.
Original post by InferInfer
Maybe university isn't the option for you right now.
Try getting an apprenticeship? Or you just have to work things out with your parents. You are 18, you are able to make your own choices now.

I'm 20 in a while and can't delay it I already and a gap year between high school and college and I form wanna lag behind again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending