The Student Room Group

Attempt at passing A-Levels

Welcome to my GYG blog :smile: I'm hoping to study veterinary medicine so although I don't have any exams this year I'm working hard.. I'm taking OCR A Biology and Chemistry and Edexcel Physics.

I'm doing GCSE chemistry tutoring so I'll try and post some revision tips and resources for that so pop back soon for those.

It's day 1 of half term and today has been pretty productive (in terms of how much tea I've drank!)

I'm currently doing some Chemistry homework but I'll try and keep this regualrly updated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colivia12
Welcome to my GYG blog :smile: I'm hoping to study veeterinary medicine so although I don't have any exams this year I'm working hard.. I'm taking OCR A Biology and Chemistry and Edexcel Physics.

I'm doing GCSE chemistry tutoring so I'll try and post some revision tips and resources for that so pop back soon for those.

It's day 1 of half term and today has been pretty productive (in terms of how much tea I've drank!)

I'm currently doing some Chemistry homework but I'll try and keep this regualrly updated :smile:

Hi! I'm also in year 12, and I will be watching your blog :biggrin: Do you know what universities you want to apply to? x
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaBanana2000
Hi! I'm also in year 12, and I will be watching your blog :biggrin: Do you know what universities you want to apply to? x

I'm not sure yet because I haven't looked at many yet however I like Bristol and I'm going ther on wednesday, you? x
I'm not sure yet because I haven't looked at many yet however I like Bristol and I'm going ther on wednesday, you? x

Well my top choice would (very ambitiously) be Oxford :redface:
But for my others, I'm looking at Durham, UCL and Exeter. I'm probably going to visit a ton of unis during summer and decide which to apply to:smile: How are you finding your subjects so far?
Reply 4
Original post by AnnaBanana2000
Well my top choice would (very ambitiously) be Oxford :redface:
But for my others, I'm looking at Durham, UCL and Exeter. I'm probably going to visit a ton of unis during summer and decide which to apply to:smile: How are you finding your subjects so far?

I'm enjoying them but it's a lot of work,you? :smile:
Reply 5
Welcome to my GYG blog :smile: I'm hoping to study veterinary medicine so although I don't have any exams this year I'm working hard.. I'm taking OCR A Biology and Chemistry and Edexcel Physics.

I've been struggling bit getting work done through the holiday because I'm the kind of person who will make plans with everyone, but I still need to get work done.

My tops tips for gettinng work done in the holidays are just to clear a day when you have no plans s you can just sit at your desk with a cup of tea and your work done.

I'm hoping to get most things ticked off of my to do list today and so far I have made biology powerpoints on proteins, carbohydrates and lipids.

I hope your revsion and holiday work is ging well :smile:
Reply 6
I've been struggling bit getting work done through the holiday because I'm the kind of person who will make plans with everyone, but I still need to get work done.

My tops tips for gettinng work done in the holidays are just to clear a day when you have no plans s you can just sit at your desk with a cup of tea and your work done.

I'm hoping to get most things ticked off of my to do list today and so far I have made biology powerpoints on proteins, carbohydrates and lipids.

I hope your revsion and holiday work is ging well :smile:

Okay so, I'm gonna be honest on a couple things...
1. I'm not great with technology and incase you hadn't figured this out, I don't know what I'm doing
2. I haven't really managed to do much this week except barely stay on top of the amount of work I have.
But in my opinion, this is okay. It's important to understand that some weeks you will feel completely unmotivated and get next to nothing done but what's importatnt is that you put these weeks behind you and move on.

One of my number one tips is to make a to do list and prioritise what you need to do and set yourself realistic goals.

Tonight I'm sat up by my desk with a cup of tea and I'm feling pretty determined, i have a biology test tomorrow and so I'm going to start with making flashcards for the keywords and definitions.

I'm also hoping to get the rest of my homework for this week finished but that depends on whether I have time.

Hope everyone's work is going well xoxo
Reply 7
image1 (2).jpg
Hi :smile:
Tonight has been fairly productive as I have done all my key words flashcards for biology and revised quite a bit for my test tomorrow so fingers crossed! I also managed to get all of m work done that's due in this week which is good although I'm starting to get a headache so bed soon.
I hae done some keywords flashcards for chemistry but I still have a lt to do but that's probably a job for tomorrow...
I hope everyone's work has one well tonight, let me know how you're getting on in the comments :smile:
Reply 8
This week has been pretty busy as I’ve been helping my friends with their head student applications and preparing for their interviews. I’ve just finished doing some chemistry revision for my test next Monday and so I thought I would share some of my favourite revision techniques;

•Mindmaps*
•Key points sheet*
•Summary pages*
•Flash cards*
•Key words sheets
Reply 9
Today I bought a pack of 30 gel pens which I am still very excited about! I have started using them this evening by doing summary mind maps, I have just finished one for module 2.1 in chemistry which I have a test on next Wednesday 😬

I’ve somehow managed to finish all my work that’s due in this week which is quite impressive for me and I’m feeling pretty smug as I only have a couple of piece of homework to do.

Although saying that, I have 3 tests to revise for- my main problem is eating too much while I’m revising so if anyone has any tips then please let me know!

On Tuesday, 2 if the people I’m currently tutoring had a test and did well and so they decided that they no longer needed me which was kind of upsetting.. Luckily today I have been given 2 more students to help with sciences so I have 8 tutees again😊

I’m really enjoying tutoring and thinking of going into teaching as a back up, again if anyone has any tips, feel free to comment!
Xoxo
Reply 10
This week has been pretty tough for me as after a couple breakdowns at my work(I’m a waitress at a local pub) I realised that 1. I hate my job, 2. I’m not doing as well as I need to at school and 3. If I continue doing badly then I’m going to be stuck in a job that I hate for the rest of my life.
So although my grow your grades journey has already started I feel like this is the beginning...
I’m planning on writing a post every evening on something that I’ve done during the day that’s made me proud so here goes!
Reply 11
This weekend I have made keywords flash cards for physics in preparation for my test on waves tomorrow, I’ve also made mind maps on waves, work, energy and power and chemical calculations.

I’ve done one piece of my chemistry homework and some of the questions from the textbook, my goal for tomorrow is to finish all my chemistry work.

I’ve recently rediscovered my love for books and so I’ve also read all of Eleanor and Park and most of fangirl this weekend- I would definitely recommend both!
This weekend I have made keywords flash cards for physics in preparation for my test on waves tomorrow, I’ve also made mind maps on waves, work, energy and power and chemical calculations.

I’ve done one piece of my chemistry homework and some of the questions from the textbook, my goal for tomorrow is to finish all my chemistry work.

I’ve recently rediscovered my love for books and so I’ve also read all of Eleanor and Park and most of fangirl this weekend- I would definitely recommend both!

Hey, I'm loving the GYG! :hugs:

I'm guessing you're in Year 12? :colondollar: If so, I am as well! :biggrin: I also take Chemistry and Biology, so if you need any help feel free to ask :smile: (Although, I can't promise I can help with everything :laugh: ). I didn't take Physics though, I was garbage at that :rofl:

Wishing you all the best with the studies! I'll be following the thread! :h:
Reply 13
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Hey, I'm loving the GYG! :hugs:

I'm guessing you're in Year 12? :colondollar: If so, I am as well! :biggrin: I also take Chemistry and Biology, so if you need any help feel free to ask :smile: (Although, I can't promise I can help with everything :laugh: ). I didn't take Physics though, I was garbage at that :rofl:

Wishing you all the best with the studies! I'll be following the thread! :h:

Hi! Yes, I’m year 12, that’s really cool, I’ll probably need a lot of help, how are you finding them? 😂 what other subject(s) are you taking? 😊
Reply 14
I’m kinda surprised that I’m updating it again so soon, I know I said every evening but I didn’t think that was realistic but here I am...

Today I had a physics test which went surprisingly well, I got a B which I’m happy about. I also finished my chemistry homework, did my biology homework and accidentally did the next biology homework as well and I finished reading my book (Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell) if anyone has any book suggestions I would love to hear them 😊

Tomorrow I’m going to a motivational talk so fingers crossed I’ll find some motivation and get all my work done, hope your studies are going well😘
Hi! Yes, I’m year 12, that’s really cool, I’ll probably need a lot of help, how are you finding them? 😂 what other subject(s) are you taking? 😊

I'm finding them alright now, thankfully! If you need any help, then feel free to drop me a PM anytime :yep: (I'll try and help you to the best of my ability :giggle: )

Altogether, I'm taking Biology, Chemistry and Maths. :smile:

I’m kinda surprised that I’m updating it again so soon, I know I said every evening but I didn’t think that was realistic but here I am...

Today I had a physics test which went surprisingly well, I got a B which I’m happy about. I also finished my chemistry homework, did my biology homework and accidentally did the next biology homework as well and I finished reading my book (Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell) if anyone has any book suggestions I would love to hear them 😊

Tomorrow I’m going to a motivational talk so fingers crossed I’ll find some motivation and get all my work done, hope your studies are going well😘

Well done on the Physics test result! :h: I could do with some motivation to do some work. :rofl:
Hello! I'm really liking watching how your A-Level journey is coming along so far! :grin:

I can't believe you're doing all three sciences, I could hardly manage one! That's an achievement in itself :laugh: It's nice to see you're coping well (even though I really wouldn't cope with your subjects) but I hate to see year 12's completely stressing out at this time of year, so it's great that you're keeping your cool and being really productive by the looks of things! :hugs:

I'll definitely be following along, I wish you the best! :rave:
Reply 17
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Well done on the Physics test result! :h: I could do with some motivation to do some work. :rofl:

Thank you😊 I’ll try and do a post about it tomorrow and hopefully we’ll feel inspired 😂

Thank you, same goes for you although I might not be much help... I could never do maths😬 do you want to do medicine or are you just interested in those subjects?
Reply 18
Original post by EmilySarah00
Hello! I'm really liking watching how your A-Level journey is coming along so far! :grin:

I can't believe you're doing all three sciences, I could hardly manage one! That's an achievement in itself :laugh: It's nice to see you're coping well (even though I really wouldn't cope with your subjects) but I hate to see year 12's completely stressing out at this time of year, so it's great that you're keeping your cool and being really productive by the looks of things! :hugs:

I'll definitely be following along, I wish you the best! :rave:

I’m not going to say it’s easy(it’s far from that) but I’ve always loved science and that’s what I was interested in so it was just a natural choice. What subjects are you taking?

I’m not coping 100% but it feels good to get on top of everything, I’m guessing you’re year 13? How are you finding it? Xx
Reply 19
Good evening 😊

So today I went to a motivational talk, there were 7speakers who were; Captain Ablett, Mark Ormrod, Benjamin Mee, Moj Taylor, Street Factory, Roxie Haines and Stephen Seki. They were all very inspiring and obviously passionate about their jobs and all had the same message of “love what you do”. If you only have a couple minutes then I would highly recommend checking out Stephen Seki who has an incredible story of determination and is absolutely hilarious.

The first thing I want to say is that motivation is not something that you can just get from a speech, it’s the driving force from within you that pushes you to do better.

I feel like this will be a long post so for those who can’t be bothered to read the whole thing, the most important thing I have to say is that whatever your goal is, whether it’s short term or long term, take a step towards it today because it’s down to you to start your journey and it’s not where you start that matters it’s where you end that will make you proud.

For those of you who’s schools love talking about having a growth mindset then I’m sure you’re sick to death of it and you’ll hate this part but I think it’s important for people to know that mistakes don’t define you as a person and what defines you is your ability to pick yourself up and carry on despite failure.

I want to emphasise the importance of having goals, big or small. Have something in your head or written down, something to aim for and think about why you want to do that. Is it what you’d want to do at 2pm on a sunny afternoon and at 2am on a rainy, November morning? Cut down your goal into achievable chunks and use that as a starting point.

I’m trying not to make this too long and so the last thing I will say is that you can do anything you set your heart and mind to. If you believe in yourself and, as cheesy as it may sound- block out the haters, the people who want to lower your expectations. As I said before, motivation comes from you so take your time this evening and do what you love, make something that will help you remember keywords in an exam, contact an employer, start writing a book you’ve always dreamed of, whatever your goal is, take the first step towards it. As Lao Tzu said “the journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step”.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending