The Student Room Group

Oxbridge = Inaccessible to most students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Etoile
I think to some extent it's articles like the one in the BBC and the comments on it on Facebook that put people off from applying - it really does my nut in! I'm working class, disabled, went to a failing school and got into both Oxford and Cambridge because I didn't let myself be deterred by some kind of perceived cultural difference (so what if I speak like a chav? so what if my mum worked in tesco? doesn't mean I couldn't do just as well academically!) and because I had the initiative to research the admissions process and criteria (+ extenuating circumstances form) myself rather than helplessly viewing it as an insurmountable hurdle. TSR was actually useful for that incidentally :smile: So basically I think it comes down to whether students take the initiative or not - and if they don't they probably wouldn't do very well at Oxbridge anyway.

So the BBC should stop reporting on this? That's your solution?
Reply 61
Of course, it is going to be inaccessible to most, most people do not get the grades and relevant experience that Oxbridge is looking for. While I do believe there is a problem with elitism, I don't think it is caused by Oxbridge, rather an entire societal issue as a whole (less fortunate people coming from less fortunate areas and thus going to worse schools etc). But as a whole, everybody knows how hard it is to get into Oxford or Cambridge, even those who are from well-off backgrounds who do really well have trouble getting in, that is kind of the point of the top unis in the country, if they let anybody and everybody in, they would no longer be the top universities xD
Original post by FloralHybrid
Yes. You absolutely can. And many do.

But my point still stands - As a general rule, those from higher social background tend to be more academically able, because of how they're taught to nail the exams.

I agree it's a shame that motivation comes from parents though.

But at the end of the day, Oxbridge pick the best applicants.

I think it is also worth noting that perhaps the children who do better in exams who are from a more privileged background may do better simply because they are more intelligent.
This is not to say that those from poorer backgrounds are unintelligent and I am aware of other factors such as private tuition and unequal opportunities. However, statistically speaking, if someone is privileged it is because their parents have done well financially due to their own intelligence. Therefore there are many cases in which the intelligence is passed on.
Of course this is not true in all cases, but it is worth noting.
Reply 63
Original post by itsfantanoo
So the BBC should stop reporting on this? That's your solution?

No, the BBC should stop sensationalising it - the headline on FB replaced 'more elitist' with 'posher'. They also barely mention the fact that they get fewer applications from the underrepresented areas, and then they have a video with a caption implying once again that Oxbridge isn't for 'people like me' basically, when there is no 'type' that can get into Oxbridge, people from any background can, and it's this constructed divide that puts people off!

Original post by Duncan2012
What does family income have to do with grammar schools? The reason most people can't go to grammars now is that demand far outstrips supply.

Until I got to uni I didn't even know grammar schools still existed, I thought they were like something in Enid Blyton books :erm: So I think the reason most people don't go is because there isn't one nearby? Then again, until I got to uni I thought everyone went to the nearest school and that doesn't seem to be the case either :emo:

Original post by itsfantanoo
Yes, totally agree. People should be hanging around and working with other ambitious people to help themselves. Schools, particularly comprehensives, should set up something like a G and T group that brings them together. That'd be a good idea.

Yeah you're right, I think making more info publicly accessible would just be start and will still help.

The onus is on the school to help kids understand exactly what they need to know. As someone going to a public school and applying to unis for 2018 entry, I have often helped out lots of prospective oxbridge applicants with what they need to do etc etc. That's not because im cocky, but because I use this site and it's given me a lot of info. Our school doesnt get many oxbridge students in (albeit more than most schools, about 6 every year). A good example is a pupil who did not know that the TSA for oxbridge is similar to critical thinking.

I also think maths is a bit of an outlier due to the nature of the subject

My school used to have one of these when Labour were in power but I think the new government cut the funding for it :/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Etoile
Until I got to uni I didn't even know grammar schools still existed, I thought they were like something in Enid Blyton books :erm: So I think the reason most people don't go is because there isn't one nearby? Then again, until I got to uni I thought everyone went to the nearest school and that doesn't seem to be the case either :emo:
Yeah, it was definitely one of the more interesting discoveries when I went to Cambridge. Specifically chose Churchill on the basis that it had a higher state school %age than anywhere else, and then when I got there, discovered "yeah, but nearly every state student went to a grammar school". I really didn't expect the comp school %age to be as small as it was.

That said, (as I'm sure you'd agree, looking at your previous posts) people shouldn't let it put them off - I still found it a welcoming environment, I had no difficulty making friends etc.
Reply 65
Original post by DFranklin
Yeah, it was definitely one of the more interesting discoveries when I went to Cambridge. Specifically chose Churchill on the basis that it had a higher state school %age than anywhere else, and then when I got there, discovered "yeah, but nearly every state student went to a grammar school". I really didn't expect the comp school %age to be as small as it was.

That said, (as I'm sure you'd agree, looking at your previous posts) people shouldn't let it put them off - I still found it a welcoming environment, I had no difficulty making friends etc.

That's one of the reasons why my boyfriend chose Churchill too. That also raises another point - they should break down the statistics by course and not just by college. I think the sciences and maths are much more evenly balanced than MML (my subject), classics, land economy etc.

Absolutely - there was nobody I didn't find to be reasonably normal (in the sense of not posh, plenty of people weird in other ways :tongue: )
Original post by Etoile
Absolutely - there was nobody I didn't find to be reasonably normal (in the sense of not posh, plenty of people weird in other ways :tongue: )
Funnily, there was someone in my year who was worried people would think he was posh, so he adopted a fake cockney accent, and his parents were so horrified they sent him to elocution lessons :rofl: [He wasn't actually that posh, but it was a truly appallingly bad fake accent...]
Original post by Spoderman:)
I think it is also worth noting that perhaps the children who do better in exams who are from a more privileged background may do better simply because they are more intelligent.
This is not to say that those from poorer backgrounds are unintelligent and I am aware of other factors such as private tuition and unequal opportunities. However, statistically speaking, if someone is privileged it is because their parents have done well financially due to their own intelligence. Therefore there are many cases in which the intelligence is passed on.
Of course this is not true in all cases, but it is worth noting.

Yes, that's true. Also, many students likely haven't hit their full academic potential from lower social classes.
Original post by DFranklin
Funnily, there was someone in my year who was worried people would think he was posh, so he adopted a fake cockney accent, and his parents were so horrified they sent him to elocution lessons :rofl: [

Mockney and Estuary English seem to have become less fashionable than they were 15-20 years or so ago, when Princess Anne was raising her daughter in Dagenham Palace.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah in a way the bbc are just discouraging people from applying by making it seem really elitist.
Reply 70
Original post by Etoile
That also raises another point - they should break down the statistics by course and not just by college. I think the sciences and maths are much more evenly balanced than MML (my subject), classics, land economy etc.

Oxford's stats have that breakdown:

https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no

Didn't an AT point out that students from disadvantaged backgrounds disproportionately applied for the most popular courses?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by black1blade
Didn't an AT point out that students from disadvantaged backgrounds disproportionately applied for the most popular courses?

Yes. So I'd expect medicine, engineering and maybe maths to have a higher proportion of state schooled students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by black1blade
Yeah in a way the bbc are just discouraging people from applying by making it seem really elitist.

This. The article is a click-bait, reported statistics and facts are unsurprising and don't show worrying "backwards" trends, but rather state the obvious (e.g. London+south east makes up slightly less than 50% of the intake).
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes. So I'd expect medicine, engineering and maybe maths to have a higher proportion of state schooled students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also is it true that one who got 11 A* for instance in a normal state school compared to a student in a grammar school would have a slight advantage in Oxbridge for instance? I just heard that somewhere and wanted to clarify :smile:
Original post by J-SP
And that's often down to people telling them aren't good enough. In contrast, people who maybe aren't so capable are frequently told they should go for it.

I hate to think about how much underachievement (and over achievement) happens and the wasted potential out there.
It's one of the biggest issues in our education system,:s-smilie:

From what I see, it's more due to the things young people are exposed to: nobody on their street going to university, nobody in their school going to Oxbridge (like mine), nobody really leaving a neighbourhood of deprivation creates this cycle of no ambition whereby people assume they are chained by socio-economic circumstances to never escape that demographic bubble.

It's less about what they are told and more about what they are surrounded by.
Reply 76
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Also is it true that one who got 11 A* for instance in a normal state school compared to a student in a grammar school would have a slight advantage in Oxbridge for instance? I just heard that somewhere and wanted to clarify :smile:

Yes but not much, GCSEs aren't hugely important. If you do well in a "poor" school that's a good thing. However if you do badly at GCSE but are doing very well in your A-levels, that's even better. :smile:
Original post by Etoile
No, the BBC should stop sensationalising it - the headline on FB replaced 'more elitist' with 'posher'. They also barely mention the fact that they get fewer applications from the underrepresented areas, and then they have a video with a caption implying once again that Oxbridge isn't for 'people like me' basically, when there is no 'type' that can get into Oxbridge, people from any background can, and it's this constructed divide that puts people off!

That's news for you.

But to blame sensationalist news for the reason fewer poorer people get into Oxbridge is easily one of the dumbest arguments here.
Get the grades. Succeed on the admissions tests. Perform well during the interview. Get in.

Don't expect special provisions because of your socioeconomic background. That's not meritocracy.
This isn't an Oxbridge problem - the problem is far wider than that. Oxbridge simply takes in the top achievers.

The problem is that people from disadvantaged backgrounds are considerably less likely to get those top grades. Poor funding for schools and less stability could be factors. Some teens from poor backgrounds have to work long hours for money which of course isn't good when you're trying to get A*A*A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending