The Student Room Group

University should be abolished.

OK.

So, most degrees are gimmicks with no transferable skills and a lot are at, sorry to say, at institutions which are glorified colleges.

Unless they pay for themselves within a timeframe where you're not accruing interest to the point where you can't afford to pay your debt off what's the point.

And what's the "experience"? Getting pissed every night? You can do that without going to uni.

So, we should close all but the Russell Group unis and even then abolish most degrees there - and spend the excess cash on offering more apprenticeships which are in my opinion more financially viable than a degree.

We should just offer medicine, maybe law, English, social work (and other vocational degrees).

And more emphasis on UK students.

Discuss
This is a dumb thread.
Lol.
Reply 3
Original post by Danny the Geezer
OK.

So, most degrees are gimmicks with no transferable skills and a lot are at, sorry to say, at institutions which are glorified colleges.

Unless they pay for themselves within a timeframe where you're not accruing interest to the point where you can't afford to pay your debt off what's the point.

And what's the "experience"? Getting pissed every night? You can do that without going to uni.

So, we should close all but the Russell Group unis and even then abolish most degrees there - and spend the excess cash on offering more apprenticeships which are in my opinion more financially viable than a degree.

We should just offer medicine, maybe law, English, social work (and other vocational degrees).

Discuss

So just to confirm, you don't think academic research is valuable at all? Also what about languages, engineering, natural sciences, computer science, history?
Original post by Tian1Sky
This is a dumb thread.

Care to expand? :yy:
Original post by Etoile
So just to confirm, you don't think academic research is valuable at all? Also what about languages, engineering, natural sciences, computer science, history?

I did say English. As for foregin langauges you can get one of them audiobooks innit. Engineering etc you could do an apprenticeship.

Academic research is ofc important, which is why I said keep the Russell Group unis as this is let's be honest the only place where anything worthwhile is researched.
Reply 6
Nope. Next?
Reply 7
I did say English. As for foregin langauges you can get one of them audiobooks innit. Engineering etc you could do an apprenticeship.

Academic research is ofc important, which is why I said keep the Russell Group unis as this is let's be honest the only place where anything worthwhile is researched.

Actually most universities have gold standard research xD Take Lancaster for example, not a Russel group, yet their research is invaluable in fields like law, criminology and psychology
S t u p i d
Reply 9
...No.
Original post by Tian1Sky
This is a dumb thread.

This is a discussion post. I think the OP just wanted a debate to see ideas flow.
OK. But a hell of a lot of courses are gimmicks, right. And a lot of institutions are ex polys/colleges so SEE I WAS RIGHT.
OK. But a hell of a lot of courses are gimmicks, right. And a lot of institutions are ex polys/colleges so SEE I WAS RIGHT.

What courses do you believe are a ‘gimmick’?

As the percentage of the population going to 'university' has dramatically increased, from ~10% when I went (IIRC), to around 50% now, the definition of a degree has had to change. Just because it's not the previous definition does not make every new degree subject worthless. I will agree that some are, and horrendously over-priced.

I mostly agree, although some are of academic or social importance, e.g. for teaching, lower-paid skilled jobs (nursing).

There does seem to be a portion of prospective students that think that university is some right to party for 3-4 years at no immediate cost to themselves. Given that, they're unlikely to ever repay their 'loans'.

Serious academic study is required for many subjects. Universities are the best way to provide that.

Why would you not want the subsidy that overseas students bring with their high fees?
Original post by Fonzworth

Hair and Make-up Design

Add David Beckham studies to that too :P
Original post by Fonzworth

If I were to go on the UCAS site, which I haven't done in a few years, I'm sure I could find some.
A lot of students go to university because they are genuinely interested in the subject they're applying. True, degrees like Psychology, Archaeology and Sports Science may not be the ticket to high salaries after graduation, but they can nevertheless be a fascinating subject to study for some students. Ultimately, you're not going to university for a degree - you're going there to be educated. Students should think carefully whether their degree can support them financially in the future - but imo there should still be the option to study the degrees that don't lead to high salaries straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending