The Student Room Group

How lenient are Oxfo

Hi!

I was just wondering how lenient Oxbridge are if you do not get like 1 of your grades and miss it? As they aren't the type of university that have any sorts of clearances what happens if you miss a grade? Do they still accept you or just have an empty space at where you could have been?

Haha, it's just something I have always wondered so would be nice to actually know what they do

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh my gosh..my broken keyboard just posted my post before I could complete the title, I am sorry!!
Reply 2
:bump:
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure they give out more offers than there are places.

Also Oxford being a competitive university I doubt they will allow someone in if they missed their offer. There probably are some stories where people still got in but it would be extremely rare.
Reply 4
Original post by XxxvatxxX
Hi!

I was just wondering how lenient Oxbridge are if you do not get like 1 of your grades and miss it? As they aren't the type of university that have any sorts of clearances what happens if you miss a grade? Do they still accept you or just have an empty space at where you could have been?

Haha, it's just something I have always wondered so would be nice to actually know what they do

Thanks!

:bump:

They slightly over-offer (by approx 10%, depending on the course) and expect some to miss their offer. The exact outcome for an individual would depend on the circumstances. A narrow miss *might* be ok. Or it might not.

Best bet is don't miss the offer.

PS. Do NOT bump threads.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
They slightly over-offer and expect some to miss their offer. The exact outcome for an individual would depend on the circumstances. A narrow miss *might* be ok. Or it might not.

Best bet is don't miss the offer.

PS. Do NOT bump threads.

Thank you!!

And oh I'm sorry, I didn't know bumping threads was wrong! Won't happen again :smile:
Would depend on the course. But it's unlikely.

Also, Oxbridge doesn't offer spaces in Clearing.
Reply 7
Hi!

As they aren't the type of university that have any sorts of clearances

Original post by TheMindGarage

Also, Oxbridge doesn't offer spaces in Clearing.

Yup :tongue:
Probably depends on the department and other factors. I know people who have got in despite missing their offer, and I know people who haven't.
Reply 9
Original post by Plagioclase
Probably depends on the department and other factors. I know people who have got in despite missing their offer, and I know people who haven't.

Oh ok, thank you!

:smile:
Reply 10
Hi!

Thanks!

I technically missed my offer (AAAA instead of A*AA) and still got in but I wouldn't hold out for it. As Doonesbury said, they (and really all universities) give out more offers than there are places - this is especially the case for maths.
Reply 11
Original post by Etoile
this is especially the case for maths.

Although that's really only the case at Cambridge because, STEP. :wink:
Reply 12
Although that's really only the case at Cambridge because, STEP. :wink:

And Warwick :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Etoile
And Warwick :tongue:

Well, we were comparing offer over-rates at Oxford v Cambridge where STEP makes the difference.

And Warwick tends to be *extremely* fussy about *all* elements of their offer. So hitting STEP but missing that A in a 3rd A-level will often result in a rejection. Whereas Cambridge will be more likely to let that grade go if STEP was good. :smile:
Reply 14
Well, we were comparing offer over-rates at Oxford v Cambridge where STEP makes the difference.

And Warwick tends to be *extremely* fussy about *all* elements of their offer. So hitting STEP but missing that A in a 3rd A-level will often result in a rejection. Whereas Cambridge will be more likely to let that grade go if STEP was good. :smile:

I know, I just mentioned other universities in my post. Interesting that in that sense Cambridge is easier to get into! I also noticed when I was applying that Cambridge was the easiest to get into in terms of lowest number of applicants per place - 10:1 for my insurance, Exeter, vs only 3:1 for Cambridge.
Reply 15
Original post by Etoile
I know, I just mentioned other universities in my post. Interesting that in that sense Cambridge is easier to get into! I also noticed when I was applying that Cambridge was the easiest to get into in terms of lowest number of applicants per place - 10:1 for my insurance, Exeter, vs only 3:1 for Cambridge.

Which is why applicants per place isn't a good measure on it's own :wink:
Reply 16
Which is why applicants per place isn't a good measure on it's own :wink:

Indeed - though people desperate to get in/complaining about the competitiveness might be interested to know that there are only 2 applicants per place for some courses! That includes MML in 2016 so it's actually gone down, and classics, music, and theology.
Reply 17
Original post by Etoile
Indeed - though people desperate to get in/complaining about the competitiveness might be interested to know that there are only 2 applicants per place for some courses! That includes MML in 2016 so it's actually gone down, and classics, music, and theology.

Wow that is so interesting to know!

Also, do you have any idea on how many people either Oxford/Cambridge have for Medicine? I was just talking to my friend who got into Law at Oxford and she is one of only 2 in her college to be doing that this year, as they only offered 2 spots for it, making me realise how competitive it really is :redface: (Just hope it doesn't put me off from applying haha)
Reply 18
Wow that is so interesting to know!

Also, do you have any idea on how many people either Oxford/Cambridge have for Medicine? I was just talking to my friend who got into Law at Oxford and she is one of only 2 in her college to be doing that this year, as they only offered 2 spots for it, making me realise how competitive it really is :redface: (Just hope it doesn't put me off from applying haha)

Cambridge
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics

Oxford
https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions/Courses?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no
Reply 19

So speaking, in terms of what I can see from the Medicine applicants, Cambridge take nearly double the amount Oxford takes :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending