The Student Room Group

Are brown work shoes too much of a mens style?

From what I've seen, brown shoes are a really popular piece in mens fashion. Especially paired with a navy/blue suit, it's one of the most common combinations.

I'm looking for new shoes for work and I want to ask about these women's shoes
http://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/product/index.jsp?productId=97452301

All of my work shoes are black and I really like the look of these, but only guys in the office wear brown shoes. Would it be odd if I wear these? Come to think of it I never see women wearing brown shoes like this so I'm conscious that it's too much of a male look.

I like wearing navy in general but I wouldn't want to wear navy with brown shoes combo because even if you google 'navy brown shoes' only men in blue suits and brown shoes come up.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

The link takes you to the black version of the shoes click on the brown option.
Reply 2
I would wonder why Ralph Lauren aren't paying you for the privilege of advertising their £30 glue-soled, corrected-grain, sweatshop-tier craftsmanship.
Original post by Profesh
I would wonder why Ralph Lauren aren't paying you for the privilege of advertising their £30 glue-soled, corrected-grain, sweatshop-tier craftsmanship.

Oh stop! 😆

I'm not op by the way
OP it's all in the shape and heel, ma dear.
From what I've seen, brown shoes are a really popular piece in mens fashion. Especially paired with a navy/blue suit, it's one of the most common combinations.

All of my work shoes are black and I really like the look of these, but only guys in the office wear brown shoes. Would it be odd if I wear these? Come to think of it I never see women wearing brown shoes like this so I'm conscious that it's too much of a male look.

I like wearing navy in general but I wouldn't want to wear navy with brown shoes combo because even if you google 'navy brown shoes' only men in blue suits and brown shoes come up.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong with brown shoes on a woman, but tbh those specific shoes are utter shite. Don’t buy them purely because they’re Ralph Lauren; buy a pair that are actually decent looking.
Reply 5
Original post by zq01
Nothing wrong with brown shoes on a woman, but tbh those specific shoes are utter shite. Don’t buy them purely because they’re Ralph Lauren; buy a pair that are actually decent looking.

Thanks for the advice, are there any shoe brands you could recommend?
Reply 6
Original post by Profesh

What brand of shoes is worth buying in your opinion?
Thanks for the advice, are there any shoe brands you could recommend?

Any decent place, Jones bootmaker is a decent store for shoes (for men anyway, not sure about women)
Reply 8
What brand of shoes is worth buying in your opinion?

Something Goodyear-welted, preferably from one of the traditional Northampton-based firms—these, for instance, would last you years.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply