The Student Room Group

Bath, Exeter and Leeds students - help please?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jakey_99
Ah, Hayesf**** myself. I wouldn't be good enough for Royal High even if I was a girl :P

Know what you mean about Bath though it can get a bit boring sometimes.

Hahaha I used to go to St Gregs in secondary school but moved o Royal High this year
Reply 61
Original post by anonygirl102
Yeah, I get what you mean.

Choosing Universities is so difficult, especially when you can't go to your preferred city! Cardiff University is still a Russell Group university, so it's well respected in its own right, so if you're not too caught up in league tables etc. that could/might be a really good option?

I'd say for example with a place like Bath, it may be a very good, well respected university, but the flip side of it, is the location. Especially with what you're looking for in a City, so I think that thinking of it from that perspective maybe the ranking of the University should only be a small aspect of your choice. Uni is about so much more than just getting a degree, and many people I know who have gone have said about the life skills and stuff you learn by going. So try not to get too wound up in what the Uni is and think about what your overall experience might be? Happiness is ultimately (well hopefully) going to lead to better productivity in your studies.

That's really true. I've changed one of my options to Leeds as it seems really nice and I might change another to Exeter or Bath, and then I'll try to visit them to finalise my decision. That's what was making my decision so hard! The unis I find are great but their location, not so great. I guess I'm overthinking it a little bit, actually living there will be so much more different to what I think living there will be like. I hope I make the right decision in the end! It also depends on the type/amount of proper friends I make... If I manage to meet amazing people then even the tiniest place will be alright!
Reply 62
Original post by Doonesbury
No problem :smile:

What were your original choices? And new choices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had Portsmouth, Oxford (not hopeful but there's nothing to lose!), Sheffield, Sussex and Cardiff, and today I changed Cardiff to Leeds and I might change Portsmouth to Bath or Exeter. But I might keep it idk. I've already received offers from Portsmouth and Sheffield
Reply 63
Original post by Confuseeed
I had Portsmouth, Oxford (not hopeful but there's nothing to lose!), Sheffield, Sussex and Cardiff, and today I changed Cardiff to Leeds and I might change Portsmouth to Bath or Exeter. But I might keep it idk. I've already received offers from Portsmouth and Sheffield

Apologies if I missed it, but which course?
Everyone should choose Leeds because it's the best (for everythinggggggggg)
Reply 65
Original post by Doonesbury
Apologies if I missed it, but which course?

Economics 😊
Reply 66
Original post by iElvendork
Everyone should choose Leeds because it's the best (for everythinggggggggg)

I have put it down as one of my options so, yeah!
Original post by confuseeed
i have put it down as one of my options so, yeah!

woooooooooo!!!!
Reply 68
woooooooooo!!!!

I'm guessing you love your student experience there? 😂
I'm guessing you love your student experience there? 😂

So much!! Planning on doing my postgrad here so long as my supervisor gets the funding
That's really true. I've changed one of my options to Leeds as it seems really nice and I might change another to Exeter or Bath, and then I'll try to visit them to finalise my decision. That's what was making my decision so hard! The unis I find are great but their location, not so great. I guess I'm overthinking it a little bit, actually living there will be so much more different to what I think living there will be like. I hope I make the right decision in the end! It also depends on the type/amount of proper friends I make... If I manage to meet amazing people then even the tiniest place will be alright!

Yes that is so true!

Good luck with it all and I hope you can finally decide on a place you love in the end! :biggrin:
Reply 71
So much!! Planning on doing my postgrad here so long as my supervisor gets the funding

This is completely up to you, but do you mind sharing some of the stuff you love about Leeds? Any details about social life, the uni itself, the city and etc 😄
Reply 72
Original post by anonygirl102
Yes that is so true!

Good luck with it all and I hope you can finally decide on a place you love in the end! :biggrin:

Thank you! Thank you so much for your help!
This is completely up to you, but do you mind sharing some of the stuff you love about Leeds? Any details about social life, the uni itself, the city and etc 😄

I love how compact the city and campus, it's still big but getting anywhere only takes about a 20 minute walk. There is always something to do, whether it's with a society, or a club night, or comedy or gig, if you want to go out you'll find something to do.
Everything is a reasonable price, there's a pub called Library on the corner of campus and a latte is about £1.45 and its really good. 1st accom is pretty reasonable compared to other places I've seen, and housing for other years is about 65 to 90 a week depending on what you want
The uni gives you help if you ask for it, so careers related stuff, lecture help, placements, whatever
And soooo much shopping
Reply 74
I love how compact the city and campus, it's still big but getting anywhere only takes about a 20 minute walk. There is always something to do, whether it's with a society, or a club night, or comedy or gig, if you want to go out you'll find something to do.
Everything is a reasonable price, there's a pub called Library on the corner of campus and a latte is about £1.45 and its really good. 1st accom is pretty reasonable compared to other places I've seen, and housing for other years is about 65 to 90 a week depending on what you want
The uni gives you help if you ask for it, so careers related stuff, lecture help, placements, whatever
And soooo much shopping

Thank you! It sounds amazing ngl
Hey there! So I've just started me first year at Exeter doing Physics, and thought I might try and help you out a bit! First thing - everyone here is extremely friendly. I haven't met anyone yet that I didn't get along with. While most of the students here are white and from southern England, I've found everyone is extremely inclusive no matter what your race, religion or sexual orientation. There is only one gay bar and I haven't visited it, so can't give you an insight there. However, I'm Bi, and I haven't come across anyone who cares at all, they just treat you totally normally. I would expect any uni to be like this nowadays to be fair.

The city is quite small - I came from a little market town in Suffolk so from my perspective it's great, but coming from London it might feel a bit cozy. However, the really great thing is that the campus, and all the accommodation, is a 15 minute walk from the centre of town.
There is a big student bubble here as 1/4 people in Exeter are either students or work with the uni in some way, so you often run into people you recognise day to day. So far I haven't been bored at all - I've got so much stuff to do all the time!!

The social life here (in my opinion) is great. Maybe not on the same level as Leeds, however there is something to cater for all tastes. There are plenty of varied clubs to suit whatever mood you're in, whether that's dance music in Move, cheesy singalong hits in Fever, indie music in Cavern, live bands in Phoenix, or classic club music in Timepiece and Unit 1. Again, the good thing about the uni and the city being so close together is you can walk to anywhere in the city - you don't need to worry about public transport, and you aren't limited to staying in the campus club like some other unis are because of how far away the city is (like UEA). Also I've never seen any bad or sleezy behaviour in any of these clubs - they're all extremely safe and just fun places to be.

Nights out vary in price wildly to be honest - there are a series of cheap bars and pubs that are popular with the students, and more that are expensive and best avoided. Clubs typically cost £4/£5 to get into, however it is usually free if you arrive before a certain time. Something odd about Exeter is that we start nights out earlier than other places, it's fairly normal to be in a club by 11, and out by 2.

On the non drinking side of the social scene there are a TON of societies you can get involved in, and you'll definitely find something you like. Of course we are also very close to the beach, so surfing is a pretty popular choice. There is also a fantastic sports park on campus and every kind of sport society imaginable if you're into that.

I also need to fire back at the guy talking about Exeter earlier, because the Old Firehouse is fantastic! It's essentially a pizza place (apparently the inspiration behind the Leaky Cauldron in Harry Potter), and serves some bloody great pizza and drinks at decent prices. A pizza costs £10 quid, but can easily feed 2 people because they are massive. It is always busy but well worth it, expect to spend £7-8 quid there on average.

Rent is fairly pricey - probably around £5000-£6000 for self catered, and £7000 upwards for catered. All of that information can be found on the unis accommodation website. There's no big supermarket in walking distance to the accommodation TBH, so to save money your best bet is to do a big shop online and get it delivered, and then top up with small amounts from coop or Sainsbury's when needed.

You also mentioned applying to accommodation in December? Again all the information is on their website, but if you're going for uni halls (which are mostly nice), then so long as you apply by some point in July all applications are processed equally (it isn't first come first served), and you're guaranteed an accommodation offer. So don't worry about that yet.

I found it very easy to make friends here. As with every uni your flat mates can be hit or miss - some flats become best friends, others like mine are friendly but I wouldn't go on a night out with them. I did come to uni with a friend from my school though, so that certainly helped during freshers. However I've made most of my friends on my course itself and the socials that come with it , and because people are so friendly here you can literally tag along for a night out with people you meet in wetherspoons!

Overall I'd say this - Exeter is a truly beautiful campus. There's a really nice relaxed atmosphere here, and everyone is extremely friendly. The uni has many systems in place to help students if you need it, and all the academic staff are happy to help you at any time. The whole place has a community spirit unlike anywhere I've been before. The nightlife is decent and varied, so it's likely you'll find something up your street. Coming from a big city like London it will take quite a bit of getting used to, however I have a feeling you might like the closer, community feel of Exeter.

(Also if you like Harry Potter there's a whole bunch of stuff in the city and in the campus which inspired locations in the books, so that's pretty cool!)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest