The Student Room Group

a level combinations???

so I'm completely torn between art and design, geography, english literature, government and politics and german... I honestly have no clue what to pick?? Art, geography, german and english lit are my favourite subjects at GCSE and I have a genuine interest in politics, I already do history GCSE but I'm not even considering that for a level so therefore I thought politics would be good

Some guidance and advice from current politics/german/art students would be appreciated. I'm almost certain on english lit and geography. Furthermore, do these subjects go well together?? In the future I'm mainly considering law, PR or journalism
Original post by esajohnston
so I'm completely torn between art and design, geography, english literature, government and politics and german... I honestly have no clue what to pick?? Art, geography, german and english lit are my favourite subjects at GCSE and I have a genuine interest in politics, I already do history GCSE but I'm not even considering that for a level so therefore I thought politics would be good

Some guidance and advice from current politics/german/art students would be appreciated. I'm almost certain on english lit and geography. Furthermore, do these subjects go well together?? In the future I'm mainly considering law, PR or journalism

picking a foreign language is always a good choice imo, by the time you leave college you'll be able to speak it at a conversational level which is pretty cool-especially since its one of ur fav subjects
Reply 2
Original post by angrypoliceman
picking a foreign language is always a good choice imo, by the time you leave college you'll be able to speak it at a conversational level which is pretty cool-especially since its one of ur fav subjects

yeah, I think thats a really good point, even if i drop it at AS then i'll still have the conversational level of speaking
yeah, I think thats a really good point, even if i drop it at AS then i'll still have the conversational level of speaking

Yup. I'm doing French right now and my teacher said if you work really hard during Year 12 you should be relatively conversational by the end of AS.

Law doesn't require any specific A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by thegalaxy
Yup. I'm doing French right now and my teacher said if you work really hard during Year 12 you should be relatively conversational by the end of AS.

Law doesn't require any specific A levels.

Yeah, if i were to take german then that'd be my aim. Did you find the workload for french to be a lot? and did you find the exams to need a lot of preparation?

Also, if I were to go down the law path, i'd almost certainly do a conversion course
Yeah, if i were to take german then that'd be my aim. Did you find the workload for french to be a lot? and did you find the exams to need a lot of preparation?

Also, if I were to go down the law path, i'd almost certainly do a conversion course

I've only just started Year 12 so haven't covered that much yet. The work load is high yeah, with loads of vocab and tense structures needed to be learned. My speaking has got a lot better this half term since we've had to do more spontaneous stuff rather than learning a monologue like we did at GCSE. I'm not really looking forward to the essays on the book/film, but my school doesn't enter for AS so I have almost 2 years to get ready for that.

Do foreign language to AS
Reply 7
Original post by thegalaxy
I've only just started Year 12 so haven't covered that much yet. The work load is high yeah, with loads of vocab and tense structures needed to be learned. My speaking has got a lot better this half term since we've had to do more spontaneous stuff rather than learning a monologue like we did at GCSE. I'm not really looking forward to the essays on the book/film, but my school doesn't enter for AS so I have almost 2 years to get ready for that.

that sounds intense but if you really love the subject then its rewarding! Thanks a lot, i think now i just need to decide between politics and art i guess
Reply 8
Original post by Reece.W.J
Do foreign language to AS

yeah i think thats a good plan, now its just between art and politics
yeah i think thats a good plan, now its just between art and politics

I’d say Politics because you have a ‘genuine interest’ so could do better than other subjects. It’s also more academic than art which would be required if you go down the law route :smile:
I’d say Politics because you have a ‘genuine interest’ so could do better than other subjects. It’s also more academic than art which would be required if you go down the law route :smile:

that is very true, however, i already do art and it's a subject i genuinely enjoy despite all the work. tbh i take history gcse and i find it interesting but i definitely don't enjoy it as much as geography, so i'm scared that politics will be too similar to history in a sense
that is very true, however, i already do art and it's a subject i genuinely enjoy despite all the work. tbh i take history gcse and i find it interesting but i definitely don't enjoy it as much as geography, so i'm scared that politics will be too similar to history in a sense

I’m in year 12 and currently considering law. I do chemistry economics and geography. Most people would recommend history and English lit but there is no need, just at least 2 essay subjects. So you could do a language, history / geography, and politics. Quite varied language is good because you can always become a translator. Only do language if you’re really good tbh
I’m in year 12 and currently considering law. I do chemistry economics and geography. Most people would recommend history and English lit but there is no need, just at least 2 essay subjects. So you could do a language, history / geography, and politics. Quite varied language is good because you can always become a translator. Only do language if you’re really good tbh

my teacher is pretty encouraging for me to take german. I'd like to take english lit as it's a subject i'm doing really well in at the moment and i really enjoy it.

I swear economics is pretty relevant to law. But how are you finding geography? Do you find it links with your other subjects??
my teacher is pretty encouraging for me to take german. I'd like to take english lit as it's a subject i'm doing really well in at the moment and i really enjoy it.

I swear economics is pretty relevant to law. But how are you finding geography? Do you find it links with your other subjects??

I think it goes well with geography but can be great standalone
I think it goes well with geography but can be great standalone

thanks for your replies!! I've always loved and done well in geography so I think that would be a good option

Quick Reply

Latest