The Student Room Group

Maths Teacher without Uni.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in Y13 and considering what to do next year etc. I've struggled with enthusiasm for things to do as a possible job in the future, but recently I have thought about being a Secondary Maths teacher.
The problem is that I'm not totally convinced on going to Uni. I'm not sure I'd fit in as I'm introverted and don't drink (not really any reason I just don't.) I'm thinking of getting an apprenticeship instead, probably in Accounting/Finance etc. as it has a bit of Maths in it but I just can't see myself doing that as a career for my whole life.

So, what can I do? Will I be able to be a Maths Teacher without a degree (teaching 6th Form too?)
If I can, what apprenticeship is likely to be the best for me? I'm predicted AAA (Maths, Further Maths & German) and got A* in Maths and Statistics GCSE if that matters
Thanks!
You have to have a degree to teach. You could consider doing one through the Open University if you don't think uni is for you?
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
You have to have a degree to teach. You could consider doing one through the Open University if you don't think uni is for you?

I know you need a degree, but say I was to do a Degree Apprenticeship in Finance/ Accounting. Then could I?
Original post by nc212
I know you need a degree, but say I was to do a Degree Apprenticeship in Finance/ Accounting. Then could I?

If you got a BSc/MSc then I don't see why not, in theory. However, a degree in actual maths would be better. You may struggle more with a degree in finance/accounting (particularly with teaching A Level)
Original post by nc212
I'm currently in Y13 and considering what to do next year etc. I've struggled with enthusiasm for things to do as a possible job in the future, but recently I have thought about being a Secondary Maths teacher.
The problem is that I'm not totally convinced on going to Uni. I'm not sure I'd fit in as I'm introverted and don't drink (not really any reason I just don't.)

You don't need to be a drinker, or an extrovert, to go to university. With your grades, I would expect that you'll be surrounded by a mix of people, but skewed more towards the geek / introvert end, especially for maths. You can stay locked in your room if that's what you want. It's a non-issue.

If you enjoy maths, do a degree in it.
Reply 5
If you got a BSc/MSc then I don't see why not, in theory. However, a degree in actual maths would be better. You may struggle more with a degree in finance/accounting (particularly with teaching A Level)

Ok mate thanks for help!
Reply 6
I'm an introvert and don't drink, and I went to university, you'll find people like you there. Or not. Do what you want, but to be a teacher you need to have a degree.
Reply 7
Original post by RogerOxon
You don't need to be a drinker, or an extrovert, to go to university. With your grades, I would expect that you'll be surrounded by a mix of people, but skewed more towards the geek / introvert end, especially for maths. You can stay locked in your room if that's what you want. It's a non-issue.

If you enjoy maths, do a degree in it.

I've heard that before mate but I'd hate to just be stuck in my room. I'm not sure I'd class myself as ''geeky'' and I like sports etc. but 100% shy. I can't see myself going to freshers events/societies etc. so I feel like I'd have to just to get lucky with roommates but worried I won't
Original post by nc212
Hi everyone,

The problem is that I'm not totally convinced on going to Uni. I'm not sure I'd fit in as I'm introverted and don't drink (not really any reason I just don't.) I'm thinking of getting an apprenticeship instead, probably in Accounting/Finance etc. as it has a bit of Maths in it but I just can't see myself doing that as a career for my whole life.

So, what can I do? Will I be able to be a Maths Teacher without a degree (teaching 6th Form too?)
If I can, what apprenticeship is likely to be the best for me? I'm predicted AAA (Maths, Further Maths & German) and got A* in Maths and Statistics GCSE if that matters
Thanks!

I think you can become a teacher but depending on the school unless they need you too will mostly timetable you to lower school. In my school up to year 11 is all teachers with a range of degrees that are still maths based such as accounting but only those with maths degree teach a level
Original post by nc212
I've heard that before mate but I'd hate to just be stuck in my room. I'm not sure I'd class myself as ''geeky'' and I like sports etc. but 100% shy. I can't see myself going to freshers events/societies etc. so I feel like I'd have to just to get lucky with roommates but worried I won't

It's normal to be worried about university - it's a big step. Worthwhile things often require some bravery. Freshers' event aren't compulsory.

There are lots of people in universities. You'll find ones that you get on with.
Original post by nc212
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

There are plans a foot for apprentiship teaching pathways...

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/teaching-apprenticeship-will-be-ready-within-two-years/

Original post by Pathway
I'm an introvert and don't drink, and I went to university, you'll find people like you there. Or not. Do what you want, but to be a teacher you need to have a degree.
If you are not convinced by uni, don't go to uni.... yet! Get out into the big wide world and get some experiences under your belt. Going down the apprentice route sounds like a good plan. You have the rest of your life to go to uni and become a teacher. Whatever you do, don't decide to be a teacher on a whim. Arm yourself with some experiences of working in a school before you take the plunge. Teaching is a tough job and not for the faint hearted. If your introvertedness sees you prefer to hide behind a monitor full of spreadsheets etc, perhaps teaching might not be for you as each lesson is effectively an am dram performance.

Good luck in whatever path you choose.

PS - whichever path you choose - you can always choose something else if it doesn't work out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending