The Student Room Group

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
Yes, there's a reason why in some schools only a third of kids get 5 A*-C in GCSEs. Some people need to be motivated physically because they're sadly too thick to be motivated mentally. I've worked hard so I never had to be smacked but it's clear that there's a lack of motivation for many people and there's a severe lack of discipline or respect for teachers in state comprehensive schools. BRING BACK THE CANE AND MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN

Teachers who march in and demand respect (while, by their terms, showing none to the kids) are invariably those who the kids will never respect. You want their respect? Earn it, like you would everyone else's.

Kids are human beings too. Who knew?
Original post by anarchism101
Teachers who march in and demand respect (while, by their terms, showing none to the kids) are invariably those who the kids will never respect. You want their respect? Earn it, like you would everyone else's.

Kids are human beings too. Who knew?

Earn their respect? They've earned their respect having done their university education and teacher training. These people are working hard at a low wage trying to give kids a future. That in itself should earn them respect.
Original post by Trapz99
Earn their respect? They've earned their respect having done their university education and teacher training. These people are working hard at a low wage trying to give kids a future. That in itself should earn them respect.

And what does any of that mean to kids who've not been to university or employment yet? How can they "respect" based on something they can't relate to?

Worth pointing out as well that kids are usually in senior school before they're getting taught by people who did that particular subject at university, and even then sometimes not.
Original post by Trapz99
BRING BACK THE CANE AND MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN

lol no
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
lol no

YES, we will RESTORE THE MIGHTY EMPIRE to its former glory, rule Brittania
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
Okay so how to do you suggest parents force discipline in their kids? One smack doesn't do any harm if it's for the right reason. From what you are saying, it tells me that if a kid is misbehaving, you would let him misbehave rather than force some sense into him/her. This generation never fails to disappoint :colonhash:

Be a good example. Provide a structure to follow and punish them for failing to adhere to it. "This generation"? You don't even know which generation I'm a part of (not that it makes any difference). Oh, and yes I am a millenial, just before you feel the need to peruse my posts to verify your assumption.

Original post by Trapz99
Yes, there's a reason why in some schools only a third of kids get 5 A*-C in GCSEs. Some people need to be motivated physically because they're sadly too thick to be motivated mentally. I've worked hard so I never had to be smacked but it's clear that there's a lack of motivation for many people and there's a severe lack of discipline or respect for teachers in state comprehensive schools. BRING BACK THE CANE AND MAKE BRITAIN GREAT AGAIN

You absolute disgrace of a person. Smacking kids with a ruler in schools was utterly barbaric and whateve the current grade success rates are, it has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of abuse from a grown adult to a defenseless child, you monster. Wanna talk about kids being too thick? Please go look in a mirror. Anyone who thinks bringing back ruler smacking clearly doesn't understand its actual effects.

If you bring back the cane, you take Britain back.

Original post by Trapz99

But the moment you lay your adult hands on a child, or a ruler, any respect you may have deserved goes straight out the window. In my view, any respect you may have deserved as human being goes straight out the window.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
Be a good example. Provide a structure to follow and punish them for failing to adhere to it. "This generation"? You don't even know which generation I'm a part of (not that it makes any difference). Oh, and yes I am a millenial, just before you feel the need to peruse my posts to verify your assumption.

You absolute disgrace of a person. Smacking kids with a ruler in schools was utterly barbaric and whateve the current grade success rates are, it has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of abuse from a grown adult to a defenseless child, you monster. Wanna talk about kids being too thick? Please go look in a mirror. Anyone who thinks bringing back ruler smacking clearly doesn't understand its actual effects.

But the moment you lay your adult hands on a child, or a ruler, any respect you may have deserved goes straight out the window. In my view, any respect you may have deserved as human being goes straight out the window.

#triggered
Original post by Trapz99
#triggered

Sure, make fun of the reaction reasonable people have to the opinions of barbarians instead of trying to actually address them. I'm not some tumblr banshee that screams "patriarchy" at every opportunity, I'm merely a decent human being who is able to recognise a vile entity when I see one.
If you are ok with no laws protecting smacked children then you are ok with someone other than you smacking your child. You people really don't get it.
Brilliant news :biggrin: Any parent who thinks physically abusing their child is a correct way to teach a child needs to be stopped.

So discipline = physical and potential emotional abuse? If the only way you can think of to discipline a child is to smack their face/rear, then you don't understand what discipline is. Children need to be punished often, but that punishment needs to be relevant to their wrongdoing and something that allows for them to learn.

What's better: A child who no longer screams because they understand it's disturbing to others (and perhaps futile), or a child who no longer screams because they are scared of their parent's palm?

Its doubtful that they wouldn't do it because of that especially if they are a young child because children are very selfish and selfcentered something most people don't like to accept thats why they cry/scream so much they pretty much only care about what they want which is your attention. I think there is a strong argument that many adults are not that different except they understand that treating others badly leads to consequences for themselves which smacking reinforces.

Furthermore, there is the case where children are doing something extremely dangerous like messing with the oven/gas and young children often don't have the mental capacity to understand the dangers of an oven/gas and thus smacking is a good idea because the child could have potentially hurt themselves badly if they burnt themselves so they learn to associate these dangerous things with pain.

Also, there are those kids that people like to pretend don't exist that won't behave unless you hit them. These kids are testing your authority and testing whether you will let them do what you want and they think well if you can't hit them then there is nothing you can do to them. We all know these sorts of dreadly badly behaved kids from our school days, who knew because the teacher couldn't hit them they could do what they wanted without any real consequences.

Don't hit these sorts of kids and they will make your life mayhem as they will have control but if you hit them then you will have control and they will have to do as they are told.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dalek1099
Its doubtful that they wouldn't do it because of that especially if they are a young child because children are very selfish and selfcentered something most people don't like to accept thats why they cry/scream so much they pretty much only care about what they want which is your attention. I think there is a strong argument that many adults are not that different except they understand that treating others badly leads to consequences for themselves which smacking reinforces.

Furthermore, there is the case where children are doing something extremely dangerous like messing with the oven/gas and young children often don't have the mental capacity to understand the dangers of an oven/gas and thus smacking is a good idea because the child could have potentially hurt themselves badly if they burnt themselves so they learn to associate these dangerous things with pain.

Also, there are those kids that people like to pretend don't exist that won't behave unless you hit them. These kids are testing your authority and testing whether you will let them do what you want and they think well if you can't hit them then there is nothing you can do to them. We all know these sorts of dreadly badly behaved kids from our school days, who knew because the teacher couldn't hit them they could do what they wanted without any real consequences.

Don't hit these sorts of kids and they will make your life mayhem as they will have control but if you hit them then you will have control and they will have to do as they are told.

Then appeal to their selfishness, make them stop screaming by reminding them of what they stand to lose. A child who continuously disrespects authority does so because they weren't taught to respect authority, not because they weren't beaten to respect authority.

Oh wow, great control you have there using being an adult hitting a defenseless child. Great job.
Reply 151
Original post by IamJacksContempt
No I'm sure the Scottish Government just decided to implement this on a whim without any prior research :rolleyes:

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that the Scottish Government completely rejected evidence-based policy.
There are plenty of people and groups who do not consider the outcome on the child in any case, but consider it a question of the rights of the child.

How you evidence the effect on the child is also a value judgement. You can, for example, examine how it performs against other forms of punishment by looking at how it instils compliance, or how it internalises the purpose of the punishment, or how it effects a child in later life, Cultural differences persist in how children are physically disciplined.

I think in the UK there's a general acceptance that hitting a child with some sort of instrument is excessive, but that is not the case in the rest of the world. How it is done is also going to be significant: is it used in tandem with an explanation to the child of how their behaviour is wrong, or a substitute?
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...

Parents and/or guardians have a duty of care to children. If hitting the child is for disciplinary reasons, then in my opinion this fulfillment of the parental/guardian duty. If you don't discipline a child they won't learn right from wrong. Smacking is generally a very lenient form of punishment and while I believe it should be a last resort, it also shouldn't constitute as an offence.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...

Why is it ok for a woman to slap a man but when a man slaps a woman back, not even first, just back he gets arrested?

And it has happened multiple times before. Parents' decision how they want to raise their child and that's none of your business. If you have a problem with it then get your own child and raise them differently. But your nose out of other people's lives and business when it has nothing to do with you frankly.

I'd like to remind you that we live in a world where people still chop off other people's heads for being the wrong religion.

I think you need just a teeny-tiny bit of perspective.
Original post by Rigmarole
Parents and/or guardians have a duty of care to children. If hitting the child is for disciplinary reasons, then in my opinion this fulfillment of the parental/guardian duty. If you don't discipline a child they won't learn right from wrong.

If you hit them you're teaching them the difference between right and wrong, just the difference between getting hit and not getting hit.
Original post by gapyearlads
Why is it ok for a woman to slap a man but when a man slaps a woman back, not even first, just back he gets arrested?

Where does the law say that, exactly?

And it has happened multiple times before. Parents' decision how they want to raise their child and that's none of your business. If you have a problem with it then get your own child and raise them differently. But your nose out of other people's lives and business when it has nothing to do with you frankly.

By that logic, there's no such thing as child abuse, anything a parent decides to do to a child is fair game.
Original post by Rinsed
I'd like to remind you that we live in a world where people still chop off other people's heads for being the wrong religion.

I think you need just a teeny-tiny bit of perspective.

I don't need any perspective. Just because there are far worse beings in the world doesn't mean the lesser of the evils isn't evil. Smacking a child doesn't compare to beheading, but it is still horrendous nonetheless.
Reply 158
Original post by IamJacksContempt
What's it like still being a virgin?

You tell me. snowflake.
The difficulty with this is if it becomes a 'you can't touch me' rule in practice, or if it becomes used as an argument in custody cases (even if the smacking took place before the law is passed). For me as long as it is banned with an instrument, around the head or near genitalia, I think this is reasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending