The Student Room Group

third a level for medicine?

i would like to do medicine at uni, so for a level i have to do biology and chemistry, which is good because i enjoy them! however i’m not sure what 3rd subject to do, either psychology or german? they’re both interesting but i’m not sure which one to choose,helpp?
Maths would be much more useful but out of the subjects you have said I recommend phychology
Doesn't really matter, just go for the one you'd prefer or be better at.
Reply 3
Out of those 2, psychology would be the more useful :smile:
Original post by r34h4n
i would like to do medicine at uni, so for a level i have to do biology and chemistry, which is good because i enjoy them! however i’m not sure what 3rd subject to do, either psychology or german? they’re both interesting but i’m not sure which one to choose,helpp?

No it kind of needs to be maths
Reply 5
Do whatever one you enjoy most and are good at. Don’t do it because you think it would be good for medicine in the future, you are taught it anyway. University’s like to see a well rounded person!

Lots of my friends did 2 sciences and a language, I did bio, chem and history, which is also common.

Majority will have maths to AS though as well. Honestly, maths A level isn’t essential. As long as you can add, minus, divide, percentage and multiply you’ll be grand lol. I had a c at AS maths and I’ve had no issues in medicine so far with it :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by ahorey
Do whatever one you enjoy most and are good at. Don’t do it because you think it would be good for medicine in the future, you are taught it anyway. University’s like to see a well rounded person!

Lots of my friends did 2 sciences and a language, I did bio, chem and history, which is also common.

Majority will have maths to AS though as well. Honestly, maths A level isn’t essential. As long as you can add, minus, divide, percentage and multiply you’ll be grand lol. I had a c at AS maths and I’ve had no issues in medicine so far with it :tongue:

thank you, where are you studying medicine now?
Reply 7
Original post by r34h4n
thank you, where are you studying medicine now?

QUB in belfast, I'm a 4th year. :smile:
Original post by r34h4n

Hi there!

Some medical schools make requirements for the third A-Level, however many don't specify which subject they prefer - so it depends where you apply!

You can see a breakdown of which medical schools require which A-Levels on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

Some medical schools make requirements for the third A-Level, however many don't specify which subject they prefer - so it depends where you apply!

You can see a breakdown of which medical schools require which A-Levels on our What A-Levels do I need to be a doctor? page.

Hope this helps!
The Medic Portal

I just looked at the link and it was really really helpful. I’m currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Music and Maths and they qualify for most unis which is great!
Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by upbeat4
I just looked at the link and it was really really helpful. I’m currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Music and Maths and they qualify for most unis which is great!
Thank you so much! :smile:

So glad you found it useful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending