The Student Room Group

Can you apply for a language course with no language a levels?

If someone wanted to do Mandarin at Oxbridge would they have a chance of getting in without doing any a level languages or would it be pointless to apply as you would be rejected right away?
Read course entry requirements before asking. It's generally helpful
Oxbridge 98% sure you'll be rejected because they require a levels but check nevertheless, but there are universities out there that offer language courses for those with no language a level.
Reply 3
As many language courses encompass entire modules taught in a language or study abroad years, it is generally a requirement that you are able to demonstrate a formal knowledge of the language
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous1502
If someone wanted to do Mandarin at Oxbridge would they have a chance of getting in without doing any a level languages or would it be pointless to apply as you would be rejected right away?

Rather than being a medic?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5009380

I'm asking for a friend.One of my friends on tsr applied for languages and they don't do any language a levels.
I'm asking for a friend.One of my friends on tsr applied for languages and they don't do any language a levels.

They applied for asian and middle eastern studies in cambridge and I was wondering what the likelihood in cases like these is it to get an offer.
Original post by wobuaini
Read course entry requirements before asking. It's generally helpful

Not that specific.
Reply 8
They applied for asian and middle eastern studies in cambridge and I was wondering what the likelihood in cases like these is it to get an offer.

If they are on TSR why can't they ask?

Not that specific.

If they are on target to meet the *stated* entry requirements then they likely to get an interview. After that it's up to them.

For AMES it will depend on the college's policy.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/asian-and-middle-eastern-studies#entry-requirements
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
If they are on target to meet the *stated* entry requirements then they likely to get an interview. After that it's up to them.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/asian-and-middle-eastern-studies#entry-requirements

Im not opting out of medicine if that is what you are thinking :smile: Im definitely sticking to it after lots of doubt and changing my mind for a long time I finally decided this is it.I evaluated all my options and decided this is the option.
Original post by Doonesbury
If they are on TSR why can't they ask?

I was more asking for myself out of interest then for their sake, as I was interested in if it is very uncommon to not get an offer if you didn't do a language at a level or if it quite possible.It's not a case you hear of everyday.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Im not opting out of medicine if that is what you are thinking :smile: Im definitely sticking to it after lots of doubt and changing my mind for a long time I finally decided this is it.I evaluated all my options and decided this is the option.

See my edit.
Reply 12
I was more asking for myself out of interest then for their sake, as I was interested in if it is very uncommon to not get an offer if you didn't do a language at a level or if it quite possible.It's not a case you hear of everyday.

So, being nosey. :smile:

My reply still stands.
Reply 13
It depends on the course and the university. Some unis offer beginner courses in various languages (although I've only really seen these as part of a joint honours degree). I'm pretty sure that Oxbridge do require an A level in the language you intend to study, but they might perhaps be willing to make an exception if you could demonstrate fluency in that language.
AMES does not require any previous knowledge of the language you’re applying for. However, especially if you haven’t studied the language previously, you will need to convince the admissions people that you are very interested in the subject and will do well when studying at Cambridge, so that means reading about Chinese history/culture/society/etc. and anything else China related you can think of.

You can still apply if you haven’t done any languages at A-level, though it makes it harder for the admissions people to know if your language learning ability is good enough. Be prepared to tell them why you didn’t study any languages at A-level and why you will do well in AMES anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending