The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hm. I believe in Thisbe current world and generations we live in, coming from a white person myself, I believe that white people get further in this society than any other race especially black people and Muslims.
Original post by jaybastone
Too bad all those black people wasted their time being slaves instead of becoming successful, aye. Poor planning, really.

Key questions for you:

1) Were blacks the only slaves in history?

2) Were all blacks taken as slaves?

3) Were blacks successful prior to slavery?

4) Out of those not taken as slaves, how many are successful now?

When you finishing answering those questionss, then review and decide if you think their ancestors have been successful, hence bequeathing them 'privilege'.
Original post by cherryred90s
In an interview for the programme, Mr Fuller, who has two undergraduate degrees and two postgraduate degrees, said he personally felt the need to be overqualified in order to be promoted. He added: "BME officers will often have to work twice as hard to be recognised, to compete with their peers and that is a big concern."
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/64737/Police-chief-speaks-out-on-racism/amp

Is this anecdoctal and selected opinion supposed to be evidence that BME are equally as qualified as the whites in higher rank?
Tbf I find it sort of tiresome when people talk publicly about 'all their hard work paying off'.

Just quietly enjoy where you are. You don't need to tell the world how virtuous you are.
Clearly the person in the screenshot is being stupid, however white privilege to me is

IS PUTTING THE SAME AMOUNT OF HARD WORK AS A POC, BUT BECOMING MORE SUCCESSFUL AS YOUR'E NOT DISCRIMINATED BASED ON SKIN COLOUR.

WHITE PRIVILEGE IS NOT BEING PUNISHED FOR A CRIME YOU'VE COMMITTED AS THE JUDGE BELIEVES YOU HAVE A FUTURE AHEAD OF YOU AND HE/SHE DOESNT WANT TO RUIN IT,
https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/stanford-rape-case-judge/487415/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/oxford-student-spared-jail-extraordinary-talent/

BUT WHEN A POC COMMITS THE SAME CRIME, THEY WILL BE LOCKED UP FOR YEARS AS IT'S "EXPECTED OF THEM" EVEN IN CASES WHERE THERE ISNT SOLID EVIDENCE!

the latter is more prevalent in America but still very relevant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RoyalBeams
Is this anecdoctal and selected opinion supposed to be evidence that BME are equally as qualified as the whites in higher rank?

No, you said that minorities talk about white privilege because they are jealous. What does a successful chief constable have to be jealous about? and given the prior evidence of racism within the police, why is it so unbelievable to think that it could still be an ongoing issue?

No, I haven’t seen sufficient evidence to prove that BME are equally as qualified as whites in higher rank, but what I do know is that the majority of them are in lower positions, the majority of them feel that their careers have been hindered by race and the majority of them have experienced racism at work.
Have you seen evidence to prove that the whites in higher ranked positions are in fact better qualified and therefore more deserving?
(edited 6 years ago)
No, you said that minorities talk about white privilege because they are jealous. What does a successful chief constable have to be jealous about?

The success of the Commissioner of Police?

and given the prior evidence of racism within the police, why is it so unbelievable to think that it could still be an ongoing issue?

There is prior evidence of racism in football, but yet black players make up about 35% of players despite being only 5% of the population.

These are people being paid millions every year I am sure many white boys would want too.

I really prefer people to complain based on present evidence they have, especially when such is easily obtainable, not based on past evidence of related issues.

No, I haven’t seen sufficient evidence to prove that BME are equally as qualified as whites in higher rank, but what I do know is that the majority of them are in lower positions and the majority of them feel that their careers have been hindered by race.
Have you seen evidence to prove that the whites in higher ranked positions are in fact better qualified and therefore more deserving?

The burden of proof is on the complainer, not the listener.

From what you claim you know, you don't have enough evidence to justifiable claim institutional racism is why BME's are not numerous at the upper ranks.

The subjective victimhood opinions of people who would find it easier to claim victim than acknowledge their limitations, people who have been told by SJWs that their lower success is because they are victims and people who tend to see themselves as victims at virtually any failure they obtain, is insufficient evidence in my opinion.
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Clearly the person in the screenshot is being stupid, however white privilege to me is

IS PUTTING THE SAME AMOUNT OF HARD WORK AS A POC, BUT BECOMING MORE SUCCESSFUL AS YOUR'E NOT DISCRIMINATED BASED ON SKIN COLOUR.

WHITE PRIVILEGE IS NOT BEING PUNISHED FOR A CRIME YOU'VE COMMITTED AS THE JUDGE BELIEVES YOU HAVE A FUTURE AHEAD OF YOU AND HE/SHE DOESNT WANT TO RUIN IT,
https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/stanford-rape-case-judge/487415/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/oxford-student-spared-jail-extraordinary-talent/

BUT WHEN A POC COMMITS THE SAME CRIME, THEY WILL BE LOCKED UP FOR YEARS AS IT'S "EXPECTED OF THEM" EVEN IN CASES WHERE THERE ISNT SOLID EVIDENCE!

the latter is more prevalent in America but still very relevant.

Those are not white privilege cases. Those are discrimination mostly based on stereotype!

Complain about that and stop trying to put the blame on alll white people.

The term "White Privilege" is racist!
(edited 6 years ago)
Those are not white privilege cases. Those are discrimination mostly based on stereotype!

Complain about that and stop trying to put the blame on alll white people.

The term "White Privilege" is racist!

the fact that white people aren't discriminated based on stereotypes in those situations is WHITE PRIVILEGE.
the fact that white people aren't discriminated based on stereotypes in those situations is WHITE PRIVILEGE.

That is an attack on all white people. That is racism!
That is an attack on all white people. That is racism!

lol I hope this is satire!
The success of the Commissioner of Police?

There is prior evidence of racism in football, but yet black players make up about 35% of players despite being only 5% of the population.

These are people being paid millions every year I am sure many white boys would want too.

I really prefer people to complain based on present evidence they have, especially when such is easily obtainable, not based on past evidence of related issues.

The burden of proof is on the complainer, not the listener.

From what you claim you know, you don't have enough evidence to justifiable claim institutional racism is why BME's are not numerous at the upper ranks.

The subjective victimhood opinions of people who would find it easier to claim victim than acknowledge their limitations, people who have been told by SJWs that their lower success is because they are victims and people who tend to see themselves as victims at virtually any failure they obtain, is insufficient evidence in my opinion.

Yes, a police chief constable.

You’ve concluded that they’re lower ranked because of their limitations, you refuse to accept any other possibility, as I expected.
I’m not complaining, I’m just saying that I definitely believe in racial privilege. I’m not surprised that you and many others don’t see it. You probably all have one thing in common and that’s usually how it goes. There’s no point continuing this conversation.
lol I hope this is satire!

Not satire. Telling you the facts.

Secondly, a gypsy too could be treated differently. Is that discrimination based on negative stereotypes or also "white privilege"?
White privilege is something that white people rarely want to admit to. Look at all the hate that BME kids get for affirmative action when historically white people are the reason affirmative action was initially instated (gender inequality).
Yes, a police chief constable.

You’ve concluded that they’re lower ranked because of their limitations, you refuse to accept any other possibility, as I expected.
I’m not complaining, I’m just saying that I definitely believe in racial privilege. I’m not surprised that you and many others don’t see it. You probably all have one thing in common and that’s usually how it goes. There’s no point continuing this conversation.

Most Chief Constables would still dream of being Commissioner of Police in London. That is the most senior police officer in the UK and the highest paid.

I have not concluded anything. I am just debugging your conclusion as the information used to reach them is not adequate.
Most Chief Constables would still dream of being Commissioner of Police in London. That is the most senior police officer in the UK and the highest paid.

I have not concluded anything. I am just debugging your conclusion as the information used to reach them is not adequate.

Okay
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
White privilege is something that white people rarely want to admit to. Look at all the hate that BME kids get for affirmative action when historically white people are the reason affirmative action was initially instated (gender inequality).

Another racist post based on victimhood and generalisations.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
White privilege is something that white people rarely want to admit to.

White privilege is often invisible to the people who have it
White privilege is often invisible to the people who have it

You're right, and I can of understand why so many of them are reluctant to admit to their privilege
'All those whomst gain power are afraid to lose it.'
Another racist post based on victimhood and generalisations.

I'm white.

Latest