The Student Room Group

What is the right thing to do?

I am currently a mental health inpatient, but (hopefully) soonish I will get realized. My dilemma is should I go back home or not?
Part of me doesn't what to go back home because my dad sexually abused me however part of me wants to go back home as I don't want to upset my mum. My mum doesn't belive what happened to me so it would be very upsetting to her.
If I go back home I think that it will make it a lot more likely that I will get resectioned as I will have to live with someone I am scared of.
What should I do?
Original post by glassanimal
I am currently a mental health inpatient, but (hopefully) soonish I will get realized. My dilemma is should I go back home or not?
Part of me doesn't what to go back home because my dad sexually abused me however part of me wants to go back home as I don't want to upset my mum. My mum doesn't belive what happened to me so it would be very upsetting to her.
If I go back home I think that it will make it a lot more likely that I will get resectioned as I will have to live with someone I am scared of.
What should I do?

Don't go, I understand that your mother may be upset but she can always visit you where you are, don't put yourself back into a dangerous situation, you come first
Is there anyone else who can take you in? Family or friends until you get on your feet? It will be difficult for you to readjust and I personally think you going back home is a bad idea. There will be constant reminders of your experiences there. Can the hospital not help you to restart your life so that you can begin to get over your experiences at home? X
Don't go home. If possible, stay with friends or family. If you really want to see your mother, make arrangements to meet up (without your dad).
Personally, I wouldn't go back in that case. Is there help available for you to restart life elsewhere? Your mother can come to visit and you can call each other regularly.
What should I do?

I don't think you should go home, so long as you have somewhere safe (or safer) to go. It is very likely that you will still be able to ring or see your Mum regularly.Hope it works out ok for you, sending best wishes
Original post by Spider&TheFly
I don't think you should go home, so long as you have somewhere safe (or safer) to go. It is very likely that you will still be able to ring or see your Mum regularly.Hope it works out ok for you, sending best wishes

Thanks. My social worker says he can find a placement for me
Thanks. My social worker says he can find a placement for me

That's great! Sounds like you would be a lot better off that way. I understand you feeling bad about your Mum but you need to be safe and able to maximise your chances of returning to good mental health.

Quick Reply

Latest