The Student Room Group

Year 12 Maths Study Group (new spec!)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, currently studying Maths & Further Maths, exam board: Edexcel.
Currently failing both Maths and Further Maths. What are you lot studying right now in Further Maths? We just finished proof by mathematical induction.
Are you taking single or double maths?
Double
What exam board are you on?
New AQA
Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
Nope
What's your favourite topic so far?
No clue, we've been through like 10 already and it's hard to keep track of what I'm enjoying lol
What do you want to study at uni?
Maths
Original post by Doctor1234
Currently failing both Maths and Further Maths. What are you lot studying right now in Further Maths? We just finished proof by mathematical induction.

We're doing four things at once so I'm currently doing series, matrices, centre of mass and we've just finished discrete random variables. How do you know that you're failing? Are you just finding it tough?

we're supposed to be doing D1 atm but the teacher started teaching series because we all got bored lmao
Original post by ecila21
We're doing four things at once so I'm currently doing series, matrices, centre of mass and we've just finished discrete random variables. How do you know that you're failing? Are you just finding it tough?

Further Maths is quite difficult, especially since there's a lack of resources, for example I'm really confused on group theory.
Original post by _gcx
we're supposed to be doing D1 atm but the teacher started teaching series because we all got bored lmao

Yeah, series is quite straightforward, it should take you a few hours to get the hang of it.
Further Maths is quite difficult, especially since there's a lack of resources, for example I'm really confused on group theory.

I'd disagree, there's quite a lot of resources out there. Though it may not be designed for the new specifications, it's all definitely still applicable. If you're a fan of watching videos, KhanAcademy is pretty decent.

Yeah I agree with you. It's so annoying because the textbooks we've been given are from 2004 and we're not even doing the stuff in them. Hopefully more resources will come out soon but for now I guess we've got to make do with what we've got. We haven't done group theory yet - I'm guessing it's pretty confusing?
Original post by ecila21
Yeah I agree with you. It's so annoying because the textbooks we've been given are from 2004 and we're not even doing the stuff in them. Hopefully more resources will come out soon but for now I guess we've got to make do with what we've got. We haven't done group theory yet - I'm guessing it's pretty confusing?

Lol you have no idea, you have learn mathematical alphabets such as the meaning of an upside down A, reverse E, some dodgy looking Q, and you have to prove if something is a group or not. It's also not on books for the old spec which doesn't really help...
Original post by Lemur14
x

btw I feel Paul's Online Maths Notes is definitely worth a mention under resources. While it's aimed at American calculus (I/II/III/DE) courses, there is a decent amount of overlap with A-level maths.
Lol you have no idea, you have learn mathematical alphabets such as the meaning of an upside down A, reverse E, some dodgy looking Q, and you have to prove if something is a group or not. It's also not on books for the old spec which doesn't really help...

You get used to using such symbols eventually. (though I'd avoid excessive usage) If you look on the spec there's a list of notation, I'll dig it up for you. If you need any clarification on any notation do pop into f38 and ask.

edit: Edexcel has one which can be found from page 70 on their spec
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
I'd disagree, there's quite a lot of resources out there. Though it may not be designed for the new specifications, it's all definitely still applicable. If you're a fan of watching videos, KhanAcademy is pretty decent.

Most resources for the old spec can be used since there isn't too much change, but when it comes to the new topics such as group theory, it's hard to find good resources.
Most resources for the old spec can be used since there isn't too much change, but when it comes to the new topics such as group theory, it's hard to find good resources.

group theory was definitely on old spec OCR MEI, (FP3 iirc) so you could look into that perhaps.
Original post by _gcx
group theory was definitely on old spec OCR MEI, (FP3 iirc) so you could look into that perhaps.

Oh, it wasn't on the old spec for Edexcel so I assumed it wasn't for every other spec. My bad.
This is basically me minus the medicine part
Oh, it wasn't on the old spec for Edexcel so I assumed it wasn't for every other spec. My bad.

MEI is a pretty obscure exam board. :tongue: (or a different spec for OCR? Idk what the arrangement is with MEI) Their old FP3 was pretty hardcore compared to the other boards anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm taking further maths and maths? so.. double if thats what that means
Edexcel
No because my school won't let people enter for AS unless they're going to drop out
What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)?
I don't know yet..:K:
Probably proof by induction
I'm thinking about studying a branch of engineering
Dunno what double maths is But i am doing A level math and A level Further math
Edexcel
As exams yes
Im the only person in my year group doing further math, and my math teacher chose what modules, and im doing stats and decisions which im happy with
I enjoyed the inequality topic from pure math, standard deviation was intresting from stats but my favourite was complex numbers from further maths, i really enjoyed that topic
I would love to study computer science at university
Original post by Ismaeel Ali

Im the only person in my year group doing further math, and my math teacher chose what modules, and im doing stats and decisions which im happy with

Must be nice being the only one in your class! How are you finding that so far? :h:
Original post by _gcx
btw I feel Paul's Online Maths Notes is definitely worth a mention under resources. While it's aimed at American calculus (I/II/III/DE) courses, there is a decent amount of overlap with A-level maths.

Nice, I'll add it after dinner :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest