The Student Room Group

A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Badgirl55
Yeah they may prefer it but it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't consider other Alevels in making a final decision on the course. My cousin took Sociology, RS and History for A Levels and she is currently at University studying a Law Degree

I'm simply relaying what admissions tutors for the top universities have said. At the end of the day your application is in the hands of an admissions tutor, and if they "prefer" a candidate who has taken mathematics instead of another subject, then they'll be more willing to offer them a place.
Original post by Fonzworth
That’s a shame. Do you think they’ll see much difference with Physics instead of Maths? I do History, Geography & Maths :P

They specifically are interested in candidates who take mathematics due to the reasoning and logical element involved in the subject. Your subjects are quite ideal for a Law degree, so you should be fine provided you get the grades and have a good personal statement.
Original post by Clutch A
They specifically are interested in candidates who take mathematics due to the reasoning and logical element involved in the subject. Your subjects are quite ideal for a Law degree, so you should be fine provided you get the grades and have a good personal statement.

Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, would you say that Physics has a great element of reasoning and logic?
Thanks for the advice. Out of curiosity, would you say that Physics has a great element of reasoning and logic?

I would say that it has a considerable amount, however mathematics is quite literally the definition of logic & reasoning.

Spoiler

For Law, traditional subjects are more valued I would say personally pick subjects out of:

Facilitating:
Maths
History
English Lit
Languages
Sciences
Geography (Probably the least useful)

Very good when chosen along with 2 facilitating
Politics
RS
Economics
Original post by GovernmentEarner
For Law, traditional subjects are more valued I would say personally pick subjects out of:

Facilitating:
Maths
History
English Lit
Languages
Sciences
Geography (Probably the least useful)

Very good when chosen along with 2 facilitating
Politics
RS
Economics

How is Geography the least useful?
Original post by Clutch A
I would say that it has a considerable amount, however mathematics is quite literally the definition of logic & reasoning.

Spoiler

I think people need to appreciate more how important Maths is. I know a lot of people already do but at my college not a lot of people do Maths. There’s a lot of times where I wish I did Maths/Science subjects instead
How is Geography the least useful?

No real depth of analysis needed, analysing pretty basic data and its just bland mix of the easy parts of history and the easy parts of science. Most Law students at top unis have History as their humanities subject, not Geography. FYI least useful doesn't mean it's not useful, just less than the others.
Original post by GovernmentEarner
No real depth of analysis needed, analysing pretty basic data and its just bland mix of the easy parts of history and the easy parts of science. Most Law students at top unis have History as their humanities subject, not Geography. FYI least useful doesn't mean it's not useful, just less than the others.

What about History & Geography?
What about History & Geography?

Maths is not required. I have no idea where this nonsense has come from, but it's neither required nor preferred. History and Geography are both perfectly suitable. No admissions tutor has said Maths is preferred to other subejcts for Law - although many reassure candidates that it is acceptable, in particular students with full STEM profiles are equally able to apply as those with all essay based subjects.

Any other academic subject, i.e. anything that isn't Business Studies, IT/CS, art/design based, or Drama (and sometimes Music - this is a bit variable, and some universities to prefer candidates don't have it while others welcome it), or an applied or vocational course (such as Accounting, Applied Science, etc, etc), is acceptable.

Economics or G&P may be of interest to you, as they both link to your other two subjects, and are fine for Law.

People taking Maths because they want to shoehorn in a STEM subject and think it's "preferred" to other subjects for Law only serves to ease the burden on the other applicants for when they inevitably fail it horribly.

Unless Maths is an area of particular strength for you, there is no benefit. It is however useful if you're not wholly certain about your choice and want to keep e.g. Economics open as a possibility. Equally Maths, Geography, and a science subject may be suitable for some Earth Sciences courses, or Human Sciences (at Oxford/UCL).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest