The Student Room Group

Thinking about medicine when I've already started law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by OkashiAddict
So what I'm thinking rn is I want to figure out if med is really for me but also not drop out and take that risk. I'm going to do some work experience and if I really do think it's for me, that's when it comes down to the big decision: re-do a levels or apply for a non science background course such as the one keele offer. It just comes down to what route is more realistic for my situation.

why not finish law degree and apply for GEM? My friend did law and then applied and got into GEM course.
Original post by Nottie
why not finish law degree and apply for GEM? My friend did law and then applied and got into GEM course.

because it's ridiculously expensive and i'd have wasted all that money on the llb coupled with the fact i have to take out a maintenance loan every year for accommodation
Reply 42
because it's ridiculously expensive and i'd have wasted all that money on the llb coupled with the fact i have to take out a maintenance loan every year for accommodation

yes, but:
1. you don't even know if you want to do medicine really
2. you seem reluctant to drop out and waste years trying to get into and then finishing medicine

You can get into medicine straight from your law degree so no need to take any 'lawyer' exams. My friend did that
Original post by Nottie
yes, but:
1. you don't even know if you want to do medicine really
2. you seem reluctant to drop out and waste years trying to get into and then finishing medicine

You can get into medicine straight from your law degree so no need to take any 'lawyer' exams. My friend did that

what was your friend's route?
Reply 44
what was your friend's route?

undergrad law then straight onto GEM

Your options (as far as I can see) are to:

(1) Complete one year LLB and then five years MBChB. In six years you will only have an MBChB to show at the end of this route.

(2) Finish the LLB and then join a GEM course. In seven years you will have graduated with a LLB and MBChB, which will be the equivalent of having completed an intercalated degree.

How does the NHS bursary work now? When I was a GEM student, the NHS bursary paid our tuition fees, mileage/parking expenses, and a bursary that did not have to be repaid. This was for years 2-4. My understanding was that students on 5-year courses didn't receive the bursary for as many years but I might be mistaken and/or this could have changed.

Either way, one year is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. Similarly, accommodation costs for another year of university are not significant in the context of your whole-career earning potential. See this as an investment in your career (which will pay dividends with more certainty than any bond) and not as money spent/wasted.
Original post by Volibear
GEM is funded by SFE and NHS bursary from years 2-4. You have to pay £3465 in your first year though. This is for every GEM course apart from Imperial's. Normal entry medicine isn't funded except for your final year.

It hasn't really changed then. On that basis it would be hard to recommend anything other than LLB + GEM unless the OP really just doesn't enjoy their current course. This also takes away the problem of not having quite the right A-levels.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MonteCristo
It hasn't really changed then. On that basis it would be hard to recommend anything other than LLB + GEM unless the OP really just doesn't enjoy their current course. This also takes away the problem of not having quite the right A-levels.

Actually over the past few days I've been thinking about GEM and like you said it is an investment well worth it. I didn't know anything about the bursary though, thanks for that info!

I really just want to get through this law degree, not enjoying it so far but hopefully that will change when I get used to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending