The Student Room Group

NSAA Help with physics and maths questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChallengeLover
Even worse. I hope you breeze through it- you take it pre-interview? Whenever it is, I wish you luck

The exam is on 2nd November in the morning. Thursday after half term. Hopefully I will. I just need to think quickly, not waste time and answer all the easier questions first to get the highest mark.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
The exam is on 2nd November in the morning. Thursday after half term. Hopefully I will. I just need to think quickly, not waste time and answer all the easier questions first to get the highest mark.

You'll be fine...

My school's mock week is the first week after half term - I feel awful for the people that have to do pre-interview assessments!
Original post by ChallengeLover
You'll be fine...

hopefully

Original post by ImprobableCacti
My school's mock week is the first week after half term - I feel awful for the people that have to do pre-interview assessments!

Tbh I'd rather do an early test then have to worry about it on the same day as my interview. Weird that your school does mocks so early.
Tbh I'd rather do an early test then have to worry about it on the same day as my interview. Weird that your school does mocks so early.

That's a good point actually...

And really? I thought all schools had like 3 mock weeks throughout the year?
That's a good point actually...

And really? I thought all schools had like 3 mock weeks throughout the year?

Mine has one big mock fortnight which is for year 11s in December, year 13s in January and, for the first time, year 12s in July.
Throughout the year we do loads of tests but only the mock fortnights are in the hall.
Mine has one big mock fortnight which is for year 11s in December, year 13s in January and, for the first time, year 12s in July.
Throughout the year we do loads of tests but only the mock fortnights are in the hall.

Oh wow, we have mocks in the hall for years 9-13 (staggered weeks) in Oct/Nov, Jan/Feb and March/April 😅 I guess my schools pretty hardcore xD
Oh wow, we have mocks in the hall for years 9-13 (staggered weeks) in Oct/Nov, Jan/Feb and March/April 😅 I guess my schools pretty hardcore xD

Now that I think about it year 9s and 10s get mocks in the hall I just forgot lol. Year 9s only have maths, English and science in the hall and year 10s get the all. Both are in the summer after A level and GCSE exams but I think that the year 10 ones finish two weeks before the end of term.
hey people

thought I'd join the conversation

@AspiringUnderdog for 79 I got the answer to be A

I am going to also do the other two and get back to you
Original post by Anonymouspsych
hey people

thought I'd join the conversation

@AspiringUnderdog for 79 I got the answer to be A

I am going to also do the other two and get back to you

Yup that's correct. How did you get it?
Also could you try 85 please.
Yup that's correct. How did you get it?

ok for 77 I got C

So for the circle tangent one it's just a bit of trig and Pythagoras

TSR.jpg
ok for 77 I got C

So for the circle tangent one it's just a bit of trig and Pythagoras

TSR.jpg

Ah that makes sense. I think that I was a bit lazy with this one tbh. Explain 77 though I get a weird fraction that I struggle to change.
Ah that makes sense. I think that I was a bit lazy with this one tbh. Explain 77 though I get a weird fraction that I struggle to change.

85 I got D

I got 88 to be D but I don't even get the question how can two horizontal forces be right angles to each other??? surely they are parallel
85 I got D

I got 88 to be D but I don't even get the question how can two horizontal forces be right angles to each other??? surely they are parallel

85 is correct but 88 is A. Can't help you there otherwise I would've figured it out myself lol.

Could you explain 77 and 85 please.

77 required some algebraic manipulation:

Nth Term = ar^(n-1)

a=8 (given in qs)

Fifth term is 2 -----> 8r^(5-1) = 2 ----> Solving gives r = 1/root2 (must be positive as sixth term is positive)

So sum to infinity = a/1-r = 8/1-(1/root2) = 8(2+root2) after rationalising denominator and factorising
77 required some algebraic manipulation:

Nth Term = ar^(n-1)

a=8 (given in qs)

Fifth term is 2 -----> 8r^(5-1) = 2 ----> Solving gives r = 1/root2 (must be positive as sixth term is positive)

So sum to infinity = a/1-r = 8/1-(1/root2) = 8(2+root2) after rationalising denominator and factorising

wow I just realised that I got this wrong because when rationalising I made 8 x1/sqrt2 8sqrt2 when it should be 4sqrt2. Thanks though!
wow I just realised that I got this wrong because when rationalising I made 8 x1/sqrt2 8sqrt2 when it should be 4sqrt2. Thanks though!

I figured out 88 but it's so ****ing stupidly worded!!! basically the 12N and 9N force act at right angles to each other to provide a resultant force that is the force that acts horizontal so resultant force = sqr root(12^2 +9^2) = 15N

Max frictional force = uR = 0.25 * 2g = 0.25 *20 = 5

F=ma ------> 15-5 = 2a a=10/2= 5ms^-2

So poorly worded imo...
I figured out 88 but it's so ****ing stupidly worded!!! basically the 12N and 9N force act at right angles to each other to provide a resultant force that is the force that acts horizontal so resultant force = sqr root(12^2 +9^2) = 15N

Max frictional force = uR = 0.25 * 2g = 0.25 *20 = 5

F=ma ------> 15-5 = 2a a=10/2= 5ms^-2

So poorly worded imo...

Well at least I might be able to guess that if it comes up in the exam now. Respect to you for figuring that out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending