The Student Room Group

What was your first car? Driving Experience?

So I've been taking quite a lot of lessons recently and have become more confident in driving (manual) and now thinking about which car to buy.

What where your driving experiences like and what was your first car?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by soIiIoquy
So I've been taking quite a lot of lessons recently and have become more confident in driving (manual) and now thinking about which car to buy.

Hey there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa VXR :lol: (a lot of power for a first car).

Most young drivers go for the Corsa 1.2 or Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost / Fiesta 1.2, as they've got a low insurance group.
(edited 6 years ago)
I had a 56 reg 1.2 VW Polo. It was very easy to drive and felt really light.
Reply 3
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Hey there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

My first car was a Vauxhall Corsa VXR :lol: (a lot of power for a first car).

Most young drivers go for the Corsa 1.2 or Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost / Fiesta 1.2, as they've got a low insurance group.

Hey, thanks for moving it to the correct forum :smile:

Yeah, a lot of peoples first cars are Corsa's ,

I'm not actually fond of them tbh, how was your driving experience with your first car?
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin Hodge
I had a 56 reg 1.2 VW Polo. It was very easy to drive and felt really light.

Ahh right, how did you find driving at the start?
Hey, thanks for moving it to the correct forum :smile:

Yeah, a lot of peoples first cars are Corsa's ,

I'm not actually fond of them tbh, how was your driving experience with your first car?

No worries! :h:

It was very scary at first (the car feels bigger than it is :laugh: )... But as I got used to it, I love driving the car! And it really does pack-a-punch as well :colone:

It just wasn't that good for fuel economy :frown:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
No worries! :h:

It was very scary at first... But as I got used to it, I loved driving the car! And it really did pack-a-punch as well :colone:

It just wasn't that good for fuel economy :frown:

Yeah, I was terrified at first and when I actually started driving I couldn't actually believe it :colone:

First driving lesson went up to 3rd gear, good times.
Yeah, I was terrified at first and when I actually started driving I couldn't actually believe it :colone:

It feels weird driving without someone supervising you at first doesn't it :lol:
Reply 9
Original post by will'o'wisp2
First driving lesson went up to 3rd gear, good times.

Really?

I'm still struggling with gears, the highest I've been on so far is 4th haha
Reply 10
It feels weird driving without someone supervising you at first doesn't it :lol:

Definitely!
Ahh right, how did you find driving at the start?

It was a strange experience cause I was without an instructor and I had to get used to the car so I was very cautious and vary (my instructor had a Vauxhall Corsa). I did get used to it really quickly though.
Reply 12
It was a strange experience cause I was without an instructor and I had to get used to the car so I was very cautious and vary (my instructor had a Vauxhall Corsa). I did get used to it really quickly though.

Ahh right, aw damn my instructor is so strict so I'm always paranoid, thinking I'm doing something wrong..

Spoiler

Ahh right, aw damn my instructor is so strict so I'm always paranoid, thinking I'm doing something wrong..

Spoiler

The clutch control can be annoying. It's one of the most difficult things to learn and perfect so it takes a lot of practice. My instructor often got me to use my handbrake at traffic lights. I didn't learn how to use clutch control properly until I passed my test.
Really?

I'm still struggling with gears, the highest I've been on so far is 4th haha

Lul never been to 4th haven't gotten a car or driven since i passed my test. But you'll get used to it, you just need time.
Reply 15
Original post by will'o'wisp2
Lul never been to 4th haven't gotten a car or driven since i passed my test. But you'll get used to it, you just need time.

Yeah, you're right :smile:

The clutch control can be annoying. It's one of the most difficult things to learn and perfect so it takes a lot of practice. My instructor often got me to use my handbrake at traffic lights. I didn't learn how to use clutch control properly until I passed my test.

I hate clutch control hahaha, I struggle so much with it tbh. My instructor is the complete opposite to yours, I rarely use handbrake.

I had such a terrible driving experience. I was learning for 2 years and my instructor put me in for tests which I wasn't ready for. I passed over a month ago and just brought my first car which is a Citroen C1 and the clutch is really high, I am finding it hard to drive

Sophia
Reply 17
Original post by sophia-tranterx
I had such a terrible driving experience. I was learning for 2 years and my instructor put me in for tests which I wasn't ready for. I passed over a month ago and just brought my first car which is a Citroen C1 and the clutch is really high, I am finding it hard to drive

Sophia

Really? Damn, I'm a quick learner but I rush and make silly mistakes.

What did you find the most difficult in your driving experience?
Really? Damn, I'm a quick learner but I rush and make silly mistakes.

What did you find the most difficult in your driving experience?

I am too, I am such a quick learner but rushing was my biggest downfall and is still to this day. I do too even if that is like forgetting to indicate or something.

I just found my whole learning experience really bad, like my first instructor taught me to drive wrong ( don't ask me how but he did ) so I moved instructors and my second instructor had to teach me how to drive all again. With my first instructor it was most things, but once I had moved to my new one I didn't really find anything difficult. However, driving by myself now is so scary at first
Reply 19
Original post by sophia-tranterx
I am too, I am such a quick learner but rushing was my biggest downfall and is still to this day. I do too even if that is like forgetting to indicate or something.

I just found my whole learning experience really bad, like my first instructor taught me to drive wrong ( don't ask me how but he did ) so I moved instructors and my second instructor had to teach me how to drive all again. With my first instructor it was most things, but once I had moved to my new one I didn't really find anything difficult. However, driving by myself now is so scary at first

Yeah, rushing is something I do in everything ahaha

Awh damn, it's probably because you had to switch instructors, my instructor is really strict, I guess that's why I make so many mistakes. :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending