The Student Room Group

GYG 2017-18 Reach for the A*s...or 9s or...whatever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mez_merising
completely agree, the workload for y10 is soooo much compare to y9!!
we don't have sets in our school, but we're all pushed to aim for 8/9s

well it makes sense considering your school is a grammar school - my school is just a high performing catholic state school and we have mixed sets for a lot of things, but their aim is just that everyone gets 5 good passes just like the league tables measure
Original post by anyapoundall02
well it makes sense considering your school is a grammar school - my school is just a high performing catholic state school and we have mixed sets for a lot of things, but their aim is just that everyone gets 5 good passes just like the league tables measure

ah ok!
This is pretty cool :biggrin:

I'm in year 11 and a fellow medicine hopeful. I also have a GYG thread if you want to follow :wink:

Good luck for the rest of your journey, you're going to do awesomely (if that's a word xD)
Original post by Nikey
This is pretty cool :biggrin:

I'm in year 11 and a fellow medicine hopeful. I also have a GYG thread if you want to follow :wink:

Good luck for the rest of your journey, you're going to do awesomely (if that's a word xD)

thanks!! and i'll be sure to check yours out x
Fri 20th Oct

About to leave the house, had some angel cake for breakfast.

Today:
Bio meh
Chem I'm getting my test back oh God
History meh
RE (not a gcse but a gov. requirement) acc so irrelevant like no hw or tests but we do classwork?? just give us a free period
Maths ughhh

But then half term!!! I'm doing 3 days work experience at a nursery so it's gonna be cool
Also just got a new phoneee (well it's my dad's old one but still)

B i O L o G y
we did the osmosis practical, my hands still smell of potato

C H e M i S T R y
we went through our tests and i got 33/37!!! a grade 9!!! oh my, i mean its only 89% but still!!! super super happy

H i S T o R y
we did some work on the league of nations

R e L i G I o U s odf e D u C a T I o N
doesn't really count as a subject to me so yeah, i basically just went on my phone

M a T H s
we did some circle stuff, sectors segments etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Congrats on your chem test! :biggrin:
Original post by A.N123
Congrats on your chem test! :biggrin:

thank you!!
RE (not a gcse but a gov. requirement)

The "Big Four" exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC-Eduqas) all offer RE as a GCSE (as "Religious Studies" A or B). Is it possible that you were demoted from the GCSE to the non-GCSE group after poor RE mock-exam results last summer, that the school does not teach RE GCSE... or are you simply stuck in a Michaela-style environment where you have no right to know what set you are in?
Original post by Carbon Dioxide
The "Big Four" exam boards (AQA, Edexcel, OCR, WJEC-Eduqas) all offer RE as a GCSE (as "Religious Studies" A or B). Is it possible that you were demoted from the GCSE to the non-GCSE group after poor RE mock-exam results last summer, that the school does not teach RE GCSE... or are you simply stuck in a Michaela-style environment where you have no right to know what set you are in?

we have the option to choose RS as a gcse, but i took the exam privately outside of school in y9 and got an A*. Therefore, i thought it would be pointless to have another RS gcse so i didn't take it. Everyone at my school has to do core RE but there are no exams or homework for it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sat 21st Oct

Didn’t really do much so just posting revision notes. Will do a revision timetable soon x

physics notes:
(edited 6 years ago)
chemistry notes:

A311F555-F1C7-4977-AD1A-FDD980913EFB.jpg.jpeg
Revision timetableeeee 4E38AA25-6017-49A4-94A1-36ABDFCBFEAC.jpg.jpeg
Revision timetableeeee 4E38AA25-6017-49A4-94A1-36ABDFCBFEAC.jpg.jpeg

You have very nice handwriting btw! Also where did you get the planner from??!! I NEED IT!!!!:biggrin:
chemistry notes:

A311F555-F1C7-4977-AD1A-FDD980913EFB.jpg.jpeg

Your chem notes look great!

Your GYG thread looks great so far!
I'll definitely be following this thread, as I'm also in year 10 and wanna do medicine at similar unis to you (UCL or Imperial).
Original post by A.N123
You have very nice handwriting btw! Also where did you get the planner from??!! I NEED IT!!!!:biggrin:

aww thanks x
I got it from Sainsbury's, it was on sale for £1.50 so i snatched it
Original post by BChemGee
Your chem notes look great!

Your GYG thread looks great so far!
I'll definitely be following this thread, as I'm also in year 10 and wanna do medicine at similar unis to you (UCL or Imperial).

thank you!!
what inspired you to wanna do med?
aww thanks x
I got it from Sainsbury's, it was on sale for £1.50 so i snatched it

Thanks x
Sun 22nd Oct

Again, not really doing much except helping my sister with 11+ prep

Here are some history notes for y'all

77B2FD45-F54A-4C43-AB7D-AA986A6F0D06.jpg.jpeg
(edited 6 years ago)
My Art Sketchbook:

Currently the bane of my life - here are some pieces, and I'm not really good so like yeah.....um here you go!!

32DA6AC1-774E-427A-A1CC-F0AAD934C2B0.jpg.jpeg
grade - 7
to improve, well i just need to get better at drawing basically
our topic is 'fold, wrap and tear'
absolutely amazing isnt it(!)
(edited 6 years ago)
A8203788-D614-4ADB-919E-BCBF69533ABC.jpg.jpeg
grade - 8
idk why bc my prev. piece looks much better
to improve, need to add more colour,
ugh i hate this one
(edited 6 years ago)