The Student Room Group

Classics at Oxford 2018 entry

Hello! I have not found many useful forums on here about applying for Classics! I thought we could discuss on this thread! Not just people applying to Oxford but anyone! We could answer the following questions-

1) Specific course- Classics I (Oxford), Classics (everywhere else)
2) A Levels- History, Greek and Latin (Already completed EPQ during year 12 and will receive result in summer)
3) Predicted Grades- A*(Latin) AA
4) College choices (Oxford)- St Johns (still deciding though)
5) Other university choices- UCL, Edinburgh, Durham, Warwick
6) Any other comments- Is anyone else stressing out about the fact that they have not done enough reading and they still have so much to do!?

Scroll to see replies

Hi!
In answer to your bullet points:
1) I was thinking either the CAAH course or Ancient/Modern History :smile:
2) Modern History, Classics and Film (I know, film is an odd one)
3) AAA (but most likely not lol)
4) Lady Margret Hall maybe? Or Lincoln!
5) Edinburgh, Kings College, Glasgow
6) I've done very little on their reading list :// But I'm catching up slowly! I'm more stressing about my AS results which I know will be awful :frown:
Reply 2
Hi hi hi, great idea! I'm always looking to find more Classicists!

1) Classics I at Oxford, Classics everywhere else
2) Ancient Greek, Latin, Maths (done half the Maths course and will get marks this summer)
3) AAA (possibly an A* in the Latin though...still deciding...) :redface:
4) Possibly St Johns or Oriel I think
5) Durham, Exeter, KCL and I need one more....
6) Yeah reading is an issue... also preparing for the CAT test (I will fail the Greek bit :s-smilie:) and low-key stressing about written work, I haven't written an essay in school during Year 12 lol

@_daisylynch @classics99 Did either of you guys visit the open days?
Reply 3
Original post by fuzz13

2) Ancient Greek, Latin, Maths (done half the Maths course and will get marks this summer)
6) Yeah reading is an issue... also preparing for the CAT test (I will fail the Greek bit :s-smilie:) and low-key stressing about written work, I haven't written an essay in school during Year 12 lol

Yes I am not sure about sending in written work as most my essays I have written have been for History. I went to the Open Day and really liked the look of St Johns, Queens and St Peters but I am stillll deciding on college! Glad to see other classicists on here, I was beginning to worry I would find none
Original post by fuzz13

I did! I went to the Classic s open day at oxford, I think that was in March?? It was amazing! All the tutors were so helpful it really felt like the place I wanted to go :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by _daisylynch
I did! I went to the Classic s open day at oxford, I think that was in March?? It was amazing! All the tutors were so helpful it really felt like the place I wanted to go :smile:

I went to that one as well! The course is amazing and I love the city of Oxford as well!
Reply 6
@_daisylynch @classics99

I couldn't go to that one back in March but I had a wander round the colleges the other week during those open days! Which colleges are you guys looking at?
Original post by fuzz13
@_daisylynch @classics99

I couldn't go to that one back in March but I had a wander round the colleges the other week during those open days! Which colleges are you guys looking at?

Lincoln and Lady Margret Hall :smile: you?
Reply 8
Lincoln and Lady Margret Hall :smile: you?

St John's & Oriel I think! :smile: I noticed you were looking at KCL as well! I really like the fact that you could go abroad for a bit which you couldn't do at Oxford. Is that the same for your course?
Hi all!

I'm not a classics applicant but there's a page I made on Facebook for all Oxford applicants and there's a group of us who then made a messenger group chat to get to know each other if you wish to join here's a link:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/129353567699332?ref=bookmarks
Reply 10
Hi guys, I'm a current second-year Classicist at New College, Oxford & I vlog weekly at Oxford on my YouTube channel if you're interested. There's also an interviews experience, tips & advice video!
Reply 11
Original post by vi0laa
Hi guys, I'm a current second-year Classicist at New College, Oxford & I vlog weekly at Oxford on my YouTube channel if you're interested. There's also an interviews experience, tips & advice video!

Oh my goodness are you Viola Helen? I have been following your channel for a while and have found your videos really useful!
Reply 12
1) Classics II
2) English Lit, Classical Civilisation, Philosophy and Politics
3) A*A*A*A
4) Balliol
5) Durham; St. Andrews; Exeter; Bristol
6) Preparing for the LAT is stressing me out
Reply 13
Original post by JHS11
1) Classics II
2) English Lit, Classical Civilisation, Philosophy and Politics
3) A*A*A*A
4) Balliol
5) Durham; St. Andrews; Exeter; Bristol
6) Preparing for the LAT is stressing me out

1 CAAH
2 English Lit , Philosophy and History
3 AAA
4 Corpus Christi
5 KCL, Warwick, Nottingham and Uni of Kent
6 Trying to figure out what to read for a possible interview ( if I should be so lucky) ...any ideas or what are you guys reading in prep for a possible interview? I am sending written work in history and philosophy..
1) CAAH
2) Class Civ, History, Maths
3) AAA
4) Corpus Christi
5) Warwick, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester
6) No idea what I'm meant to send for written work. Is an exam paper okay? Legitimately don't know.
Hey guys!
1) Classics 1B
2) Latin, French and Biology
3) A*A*A
4) Corpus Christi
5) Durham, Warwick, UCL and Newcastle
6) Freaking out about the CAT haha!! How much prep has everyone done?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BobDylansGuitar
1) CAAH
2) Class Civ, History, Maths
3) AAA
4) Corpus Christi
5) Warwick, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester
6) No idea what I'm meant to send for written work. Is an exam paper okay? Legitimately don't know.

I’m applying to Corpus too! What made you choose it?
Original post by Classics1012
I’m applying to Corpus too! What made you choose it?

I really liked the size and the gardens. That coupled with the library, and the fact the college was established for classics,are me like it more than the other colleges I visited on the open day (St John's, Oriel, Christ Church, Brasenose and Balliol).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by NathanBoot
I really liked the size and the gardens. That coupled with the library, and the fact the college was established for classics,are me like it more than the other colleges I visited on the open day (St John's, Oriel, Christ Church, Brasenose and Balliol).

Yeah I completely agree! The size was a major plus for me. I loved Jesus but didn’t feel that same (v cliche!) sense of being ‘at home’ like I did at corpus
Hi!
In answer to your bullet points:
1) I was thinking either the CAAH course or Ancient/Modern History :smile:
2) Modern History, Classics and Film (I know, film is an odd one)
3) AAA (but most likely not lol)
4) Lady Margret Hall maybe? Or Lincoln!
5) Edinburgh, Kings College, Glasgow
6) I've done very little on their reading list :// But I'm catching up slowly! I'm more stressing about my AS results which I know will be awful :frown:

What reading list are you referring to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending