The Student Room Group

Newly passed, getting used to my car & its biting point

I passed my test over a month ago now and I brought my car a couple of day after. I have a Citroen C1 and I was so happy with it, until I starting driving it and noticed the biting point is so high. I am not used to it at all, and it is taking me a while to get used to it. I have got better since driving it. I used to stall whenever I was taking off, even if I was on a straight road. But now I don't really stall that much only a little bit, but I am having so much trouble with feeling comfortable in my car due to feeling like I am going to stall. Even still when I take off the car feels as though it is going to stall. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am at the point now where I am just like do I stick with it and try to get used to it, or just sell it and get a new one??
Original post by sophia-tranterx
I passed my test over a month ago now and I brought my car a couple of day after. I have a Citroen C1 and I was so happy with it, until I starting driving it and noticed the biting point is so high. I am not used to it at all, and it is taking me a while to get used to it. I have got better since driving it. I used to stall whenever I was taking off, even if I was on a straight road. But now I don't really stall that much only a little bit, but I am having so much trouble with feeling comfortable in my car due to feeling like I am going to stall. Even still when I take off the car feels as though it is going to stall. Does anyone have any advice on this? I am at the point now where I am just like do I stick with it and try to get used to it, or just sell it and get a new one??

Hi there!

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there :smile:

Do you use your heel when moving the clutch? Try improving your heal position or something
If it's not hydraulic then the clutch may be worn too
Original post by itsfantanoooo
Do you use your heel when moving the clutch? Try improving your heal position or something
If it's not hydraulic then the clutch may be worn too

How do I improve my heel position? I have driven my mums and sisters car and I am perfectly fine.
How do I improve my heel position? I have driven my mums and sisters car and I am perfectly fine.

Use your heel as a pivot and let your foot move up and down as if it's attached to a ball (the heel being your ball). Don't be stiff with your foot, let it be loose and natural
Original post by itsfantanoooo
Use your heel as a pivot and let your foot move up and down as if it's attached to a ball (the heel being your ball). Don't be stiff with your foot, let it be loose and natural

I think I am pretty good with that, I think it could be just getting used to the clutch being too high. Sometimes I struggle to feel for the biting point because it is really high
Reply 6
I think I am pretty good with that, I think it could be just getting used to the clutch being too high. Sometimes I struggle to feel for the biting point because it is really high

So just rev the **** out of the car - you'll make a bit of noise, but you'll never stall.
Original post by IWMTom
So just rev the **** out of the car - you'll make a bit of noise, but you'll never stall.

I have started doing that, it just makes my engine smell real bad haha
It'll just take getting used to. I had the same problem when I drove my dad's car after passing my test. The biting point was so high compared to my instructor's car. I once stalled 8 times in a row.
biting point too high? my dad had this problem in his car, he got a new clutch and that fixed (but i should warn you - new clutch is very sensitive and lifting the clutch above the biting point a pound coin's height can make it stall)

Quick Reply