The Student Room Group

Finance Analyst AMA

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

what are your plans for the future; are you going to try and progress within the bank?

what do you enjoy about your job?

any advice for a student applying to uni this year?

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MoSaqib
Depends. Product control can suit you if you like working on your own- you do have to work with colleagues but there's a lot of independent work involved and you're not interacting with external clients. Accounting at a big4 firm will require vastly more social skills.

Social skills....my one true enemy. Anyway, I will look into Product control, sounds like it's right up my alley. Thank you very much for your time. I wish you the very best in your career!
Original post by MoSaqib
I'm currently working at an investment bank in London in the finance division in product control. Graduated from Bristol uni (studied accounting and finance). Feel free to ask any questions, feel like giving back a bit to a very useful forum. I remember the times when I used to go on here for careers advice lol.

Are you looking to break into FO?
Hi I study engineering... however I don't want to become an engineer... I am in year 2 ... any tips on how I can get into finance... similar job to yourself.
Reply 44
Original post by gman999
Its a back office role... it would have been more impressive if it was IBD...

Sorry to disappoint you lol, are you in ibd yourself?
Reply 45
Original post by Wienerwald
Hi there,

what are your plans for the future; are you going to try and progress within the bank?

what do you enjoy about your job?

any advice for a student applying to uni this year?

Thanks

Yes I'm planning to progress within the bank, I've answered this and the second question in more detail in my reply to gr8wizard10's post.
Make sure you get your personal statement up to scratch. If you're applying to oxbridge obviously make sure you prepare for interviews and entrance exams.
Reply 46
Original post by JDieMstr
Social skills....my one true enemy. Anyway, I will look into Product control, sounds like it's right up my alley. Thank you very much for your time. I wish you the very best in your career!

Thanks

Original post by Humz007
Are you looking to break into FO?

No, looking to break into risk management

Original post by khanpatel321
Hi I study engineering... however I don't want to become an engineer... I am in year 2 ... any tips on how I can get into finance... similar job to yourself.

Apply for internships if you still have time. You should ideally have started preparing earlier but you've still got a chance. Make sure you do your research and figure out what division of the bank appeals to you. The application process is tough so make sure you prepare for interviews.
Original post by gman999
Its a back office role... it would have been more impressive if it was IBD...

Would you say this to his face? Just plain rude
Original post by MoSaqib
Sorry to disappoint you lol, are you in ibd yourself?

Im 3rd yr mech eng at ucl i applied for ibd yh for summer internships.

Ive heard stories where front office ppl treat middle n back office ppl badly.. is that true?
I want to become an Investment Banker too and I’m in Y10
My questions are

1. What subjects should I do for A-Levels (I’m doing business & Geography for gcse)
2. What Uni is the best for Investment banking?
3. Is there any positions in Investment banking where you work a bit less than those really long hours and how many days do you get off in a week / how many holidays do get
4. What cities overseas are the best for Investment banking (In US / Canada)
Do you think it would be a good idea to do a masters in UCL, KCL, LSE, Warwick after completing a bachelor's in Manchester, Birmingham etc instead of getting a graduate job upon completing the bachelor's?
Reply 51
Original post by gman999

Ive heard stories where front office ppl treat middle n back office ppl badly.. is that true?

No, that sort of behaviour will get the employee a warning from Human Resources and if repeated it will get them fired. That sort of stuff just doesn't happen anymore. Post-crisis the banks have started to take steps to change the alpha culture of banking.
Original post by boystudy
My questions are

1. What subjects should I do for A-Levels (I’m doing business & Geography for gcse)
3. Is there any positions in Investment banking where you work a bit less than those really long hours and how many days do you get off in a week / how many holidays do get

If you don’t want to work crazily long hours then maybe IB isn’t for you lol.
Reply 53
Original post by bkr32
Do you think it would be a good idea to do a masters in UCL, KCL, LSE, Warwick after completing a bachelor's in Manchester, Birmingham etc instead of getting a graduate job upon completing the bachelor's?

If you can get a job after your bachelors there's no point doing a masters, unless the job you got isn't the job you want.
Original post by MoSaqib
If you can get a job after your bachelors there's no point doing a masters, unless the job you got isn't the job you want.

Would completing the masters at one of those universities boost my chances of getting a job at a top firm?
Reply 55
My questions are

In year 10 most people have no idea what banking is and I'm not sure if you do either.
1) Do maths at A Level to widen your options when it comes to university choices. Choose whatever A Levels you want for the rest.
2) Oxford and Cambridge since they're the best for every career, not just banking.
3) Yes there are. I get 2 days off a week and 4 weeks holiday
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MoSaqib
In year 10 most people have no idea what banking is and I'm not sure if you do either.
1) Do maths at A Level to widen your options when it comes to university choices. Choose whatever A Levels you want for the rest.
2) Oxford and Cambridge since they're the best for every career, not just banking.
3) Yes there are. I get 2 days off a week and 4 weeks holiday

How long do you work for in hours per day?
Reply 57
How long do you work for in hours per day?

I've already mentioned that I work from 8 to 6
So 10 hours a day
Reply 58
Original post by bkr32
Would completing the masters at one of those universities boost my chances of getting a job at a top firm?

Maybe, maybe not. It's a big risk
Original post by gman999

without suppor functions, no bank can run. fo relies on support to even get approval for business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending