The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE A&F vs. Econ

Hi,

I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Biology at A-level and am predicted A*A*AA. I am applying for Economics at my unis, and was going to do the same for LSE but obviously it is an insanely competitive course to get an offer for.

I do also really like the Accounting and Finance course but my personal statement is mainly Economics related, although I do have Accounting work experience.
Should I bother applying for A&F or would they not consider me bc of the personal statement being Econ related?

Thanks
Econ > A&F
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by OnceUponAThyme
Econ > A&F

Yeah but are my chances of getting an offer A&F>Econ
Original post by anonasian
Yeah but are my chances of getting an offer A&F>Econ

What are your GCSE grades and Maths/FM average UMS?
Reply 4
What are your GCSE grades and Maths/FM average UMS?

GCSEs 8A*4As which are okay
What I’m worried about is maths UMS, they’re not that bad about 85-90, but compare to other applicants not high because I make stupid mistakes
I got an A this year and resitting one module next year
GCSEs 8A*4As which are okay
What I’m worried about is maths UMS, they’re not that bad about 85-90, but compare to other applicants not high because I make stupid mistakes
I got an A this year and resitting one module next year

Your UMS is not that high but tbh you are still probably better off applying Econ. LSE care a lot about the personal statement and if you apply for A&F with an Econ personal statement then it is unlikely that you will get in even if you have the grades. And even if you do get into A&F, there will always be that "what if I applied for Econ?" feeling and tbh for jobs, A&F is not as respected as Econ (although the difference is marginal).
Reply 6
Your UMS is not that high but tbh you are still probably better off applying Econ. LSE care a lot about the personal statement and if you apply for A&F with an Econ personal statement then it is unlikely that you will get in even if you have the grades. And even if you do get into A&F, there will always be that "what if I applied for Econ?" feeling and tbh for jobs, A&F is not as respected as Econ (although the difference is marginal).

Yeah ik hopefully I can pull it up for FM, idk how much emphasis they put on UMS but I do know about personal statement, so yeah it makes more sense
Thanks for your help!
Reply 7

Where are you applying?

Where are you applying?
Where are you applying?

Where are you applying?

Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick
Reply 9
Cambridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick

Nice unis, what are you applying to Imperial for? Also what are your predicted, UMS and grades?
Nice unis, what are you applying to Imperial for? Also what are your predicted, UMS and grades?

Maths everywhere and Maths w/ Econ at LSE
4A* pred + A* EPQ
99% UMS for M,FM AS
11A* GCSE
Reply 11
Maths everywhere and Maths w/ Econ at LSE
4A* pred + A* EPQ
99% UMS for M,FM AS
11A* GCSE

Damn those are amazing stats
Reply 12