The Student Room Group

any a level regrets/advice?

so i’m considering taking physics, maths, psychology, english lit, biology, chemistry, (not all of them obviously)

anyone have any regrets about taking them or any advice regarding workload/spec content/difficulty of exams etc.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thinking I could handle 4 especially with the new spec
Understanding its difficulty but not doing anything about that
Not asking teachers for help when I need it seriously do this as much as you can or suffer
English lit is very difficult I find it. You have to read a lot of book and also annotate a lot of poetry which the teachers don’t help you as much as more as GCSE. I feel it’s a struggle writing essays and have had a D and E in my essays whereas I was getting Bs in my essays in GCSEs
Reply 3
Original post by Chloe4091
English lit is very difficult I find it. You have to read a lot of book and also annotate a lot of poetry which the teachers don’t help you as much as more as GCSE. I feel it’s a struggle writing essays and have had a D and E in my essays whereas I was getting Bs in my essays in GCSEs

:frown: thats a shame, i’m alright with essay writing but poetry annotations aren’t my strong point
Reply 4
Original post by Maaaths
Thinking I could handle 4 especially with the new spec
Understanding its difficulty but not doing anything about that
Not asking teachers for help when I need it seriously do this as much as you can or suffer

just out of interest, which a levels do you take?
Reply 5
Original post by anakarinas
just out of interest, which a levels do you take?

I was originally doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics but I was forced to drop Further Maths since I couldn't keep up with the workload. If you're organised though I think you can keep up but you need to be incredibly organised as well as prepared to stop relaxing and procrastinating a lot, and I couldn't do any of that. Now I'm doing Maths Economics and Philosophy and am planning to do an EPQ.
Start early=Pass. Start late=Fail. Simple?
Reply 7
Original post by Maaaths
I was originally doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics but I was forced to drop Further Maths since I couldn't keep up with the workload. If you're organised though I think you can keep up but you need to be incredibly organised as well as prepared to stop relaxing and procrastinating a lot, and I couldn't do any of that. Now I'm doing Maths Economics and Philosophy and am planning to do an EPQ.

we have to pick a minimum of four but we can drop to three at my school’s sixth form :/// i just have no clue what to choose
Reply 8
we have to pick a minimum of four but we can drop to three at my school’s sixth form :/// i just have no clue what to choose

The most IMPORTANT thing is to pick what you enjoy and find interesting because otherwise, revision will be hell. What do you want to do in future?
Reply 9
Original post by Maaaths
The most IMPORTANT thing is to pick what you enjoy and find interesting because otherwise, revision will be hell. What do you want to do in future?

honestly got no clue whatsoever which doesn’t help my cause at all, and i KNOW this sounds really nihilistic but i genuinely don’t know what i enjoy anymore. if it’s a case of what i’m good at, my options aren’t really narrowed down so no specific careers have stood out to me so far
I dropped English Lit at the start of year 12 and its the best decision I made, mainly because I didn't need it for my job but ALSO because of the hundreds of essays that have to be written to high standards and with complex english. Bio is awesome but theres a lot to learn so I advise revising everday for that. Psychology is so interesting! And Chem is alright so far however it gets harder in year 13. Hope this helps x
I found English Lit A-level terrible, so I dropped it so now I'm continuing year 13 with history, biology and spanish. It's a weird mix but I love all my subjects, biology is such an amazing thing to study and for me, it just gets better and better. There is a lot of content but it's all very enjoyable and a lot of it links together which I find is really useful when it comes to remembering and revising. I can't really comment on the rest of your options! just do what you like the most, it'll make lessons and revision much easier. good luck!!!
Original post by Zoe Lea
I dropped English Lit at the start of year 12 and its the best decision I made, mainly because I didn't need it for my job but ALSO because of the hundreds of essays that have to be written to high standards and with complex english. Bio is awesome but theres a lot to learn so I advise revising everday for that. Psychology is so interesting! And Chem is alright so far however it gets harder in year 13. Hope this helps x

thank you so so much!!! i heard that psychology can get tedious, is there a lot of statistics, data etc ? also, if you don’t mind me asking, is biology worthwhile with the vast amount of content everyone says there is? because it’s one of those on/off subjects for me like some days i love it and other times, i hate it so i’m not sure if it’ll be the right course
i've made a couple of bad decisions in my life, psychology a-level being one of them. it's an interesting subject, interesting lessons, but there's just a lot to revise, which definitely impacts the amount of time you have to revise other subjects. if you're extremely disciplined and you're willing to put in the work, i would say it is a guaranteed A grade, minimum, not gonna lie. but it's just very, very long
Original post by dalalaachoui
I found English Lit A-level terrible, so I dropped it so now I'm continuing year 13 with history, biology and spanish. It's a weird mix but I love all my subjects, biology is such an amazing thing to study and for me, it just gets better and better. There is a lot of content but it's all very enjoyable and a lot of it links together which I find is really useful when it comes to remembering and revising. I can't really comment on the rest of your options! just do what you like the most, it'll make lessons and revision much easier. good luck!!!

this has been really helpful thank you so much!!! i’m still on the fence about biology because it’s not exactly my favourite but im doing well in it and it can be really enjoyable at times. is a level bio anything like gcse bio in terms of content/general interest
thank you so so much!!! i heard that psychology can get tedious, is there a lot of statistics, data etc ? also, if you don’t mind me asking, is biology worthwhile with the vast amount of content everyone says there is? because it’s one of those on/off subjects for me like some days i love it and other times, i hate it so i’m not sure if it’ll be the right course

Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention (it might be different for other exam boards) there is a whole topic for the Maths side to psychology. Now wait! I know what your thinking but it honestly isn't that bad, its a bit boring but only compared to the other topics you do. Most importantly it is simple maths e.g. mean, mode, median; that kind of stuff.

Bio? I really think it depends for each person, I LOVE revising for Bio however my friend (who dropped Bio last week) hated it.
Also, we haven't discussed the most important question.. Do you need it for your future career/ degree?
You need certain subjects for certain degrees so make sure you look at some uni courses and their entry requirements.
Original post by ashaxo99
i've made a couple of bad decisions in my life, psychology a-level being one of them. it's an interesting subject, interesting lessons, but there's just a lot to revise, which definitely impacts the amount of time you have to revise other subjects. if you're extremely disciplined and you're willing to put in the work, i would say it is a guaranteed A grade, minimum, not gonna lie. but it's just very, very long

i’m guessing that learning the case studies was the toughest part? :frown:(( but i might just take it as an AS
this has been really helpful thank you so much!!! i’m still on the fence about biology because it’s not exactly my favourite but im doing well in it and it can be really enjoyable at times. is a level bio anything like gcse bio in terms of content/general interest

could you see yourself doing something else other than biology? when I was picking my choices, I thought about whether I could see myself doing any of the other options- I couldn't see myself not studying what I'm doing right now- definitely think of it that way! also, will A-level biology benefit you in what you want to study at university? if you want to do something science based then bio and chem are definitely necessary but if you're looking into studying the Arts and Humanities then is it really worth you doing bio at A-level? think of both short term and long term. If you somewhat like biology and find that in your GCSE lessons, you yearn to find out more about a certain topic (for me it was the renal system...I wanted to know more bout it structurally and functionally) then i would definitely take Biology because for me, it's literally the most interesting and relevant thing you could do. hope this helped :smile:
so i’m considering taking physics, maths, psychology, english lit, biology, chemistry, (not all of them obviously)

anyone have any regrets about taking them or any advice regarding workload/spec content/difficulty of exams etc.

Take 3. I swear to you, it puts you at no kind of advantage if you take. Take 3 and ace them.

My biggest piece of advice, is make some form of written revision after each unit. So, after a chapter of history, or after a unit in psychology. Do not leave it till later, it piles up stupidly fast. Good luck.
Original post by Zoe Lea
Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention (it might be different for other exam boards) there is a whole topic for the Maths side to psychology. Now wait! I know what your thinking but it honestly isn't that bad, its a bit boring but only compared to the other topics you do. Most importantly it is simple maths e.g. mean, mode, median; that kind of stuff.

Bio? I really think it depends for each person, I LOVE revising for Bio however my friend (who dropped Bio last week) hated it.
Also, we haven't discussed the most important question.. Do you need it for your future career/ degree?
You need certain subjects for certain degrees so make sure you look at some uni courses and their entry requirements.

BIGGEST sigh of relief there, i’m fine with maths i just didn’t want it to be an overload of more sciencey mathsy stuff on top of my other options lmao

Also- i have absolutely no clue what i wanna do in the future it genuinely fazes me how people make big decisions/know what they wanna do like it would be so much easier if i could make up my mind but i’m absolutely clueless about the future

Quick Reply

Latest