The Student Room Group

Lying about Education on CV

So to get straight to the point, I failed first year at Imperial but on track for a first-class at another Russell Group university in a different degree, currently in my 3rd year.

Would lying about what I got in first year at the university ever be found out? I don't really have any excuses if I was to remove Imperial from my CV and make it look as though I took a gap year out. Currently have it on my CV as that I studied there for a year with no other information.
Reply 1
I would just remove Imperial and say you took a gap year :/ you don't need to explain that
Lying on your CV is a big no-no. They may call up Imperial and ask about it and if they find out you lied, they will probably be put off from accepting you into whatever you're going for. Honesty is always right answer. Hope I helped! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Avaia
I would just remove Imperial and say you took a gap year :/ you don't need to explain that

I'm currently looking into some relatively competitive graduate schemes. If I'm scheduled for any interviews I'm sure they will ask about it and I'd have no idea about what to say
Reply 4
Original post by Tree Frog
Lying on your CV is a big no-no. They may call up Imperial and ask about it and if they find out you lied, they will probably be put off from accepting you into whatever you're going for. Honesty is always right answer. Hope I helped! :smile:

Would they really be that thorough? Would Imperial still have files on someone who left the university in first year?
Reply 5
Don't put it on your CV. Just say you had a gap year.
Just don't put it on
100% won't check. The most checking companies will do is to see your qualification certificates.
Original post by r3l3ntl3ss
Would they really be that thorough? Would Imperial still have files on someone who left the university in first year?

Even though I'm still in secondary school, I know lying on something like a CV is bad news. What if the thing you're applying for contacts other companies/places like themselves, which will block you off from careers and cause future career trouble in your life. I would play it safe and be honest. Good luck!
Reply 9
I'm currently looking into some relatively competitive graduate schemes. If I'm scheduled for any interviews I'm sure they will ask about it and I'd have no idea about what to say

Hmmmm, you could make up some stuff you did in your 'gap year', or you could be honest with them and tell them you failed first year, the fact that you went on to get a first, shows you are good enough, just be honest and let them know why you failed, but also tell them that you didnt let that stop you and you show determination in the fact that you went back to uni and came out on top :smile:

It's a fundamentally stupid thing to do because if the employer doesn't care about a false start at Uni, you are lying for no reason. If they do care, then if the lie ever gets found out, they can dismiss you on the spot, and then you've really screwed your career. Just deal with the truth of your life, you screwed your first start at university, it happens. The point is that you are now doing well at another RG uni.
So to get straight to the point, I failed first year at Imperial but on track for a first-class at another Russell Group university in a different degree, currently in my 3rd year.

Would lying about what I got in first year at the university ever be found out? I don't really have any excuses if I was to remove Imperial from my CV and make it look as though I took a gap year out. Currently have it on my CV as that I studied there for a year with no other information.

You can't lie. They'll find out. My dad told me about someone who claimed they had a computer science degree, but when the employer called up the university, it turned out the person graduated before that uni even offered computer science.

You can be selective with what you put on there, but if they ask what you did in that year, you'd have to spill the beans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending