The Student Room Group

Do I need security for my MacBook ?

Hi ,
I just bought a MacBook air and was wondering do I need to buy extra security for it i.e Norton as for all the laptops (windows) I’ve had I used norton security so I was wondering if Apple are the same
Original post by mem123
Hi ,
I just bought a MacBook air and was wondering do I need to buy extra security for it i.e Norton as for all the laptops (windows) I’ve had I used norton security so I was wondering if Apple are the same

Ha ha Norton... Are you kidding me?

Just no. Don't use Norton.
It's crap. Trust me.
It slows down your computer and only gets like 40% of the viruses... And its expensive.
Get Kaspersky or something or windows
Original post by mem123
Hi ,

It would be most advisable that you get something which will protect you from viruses and malware, as Macs are just as susceptible to get them, these days, as Windows is.

Norton is heavy for hardware. Kaspersky seems to be IMO the best out atm.
Reply 3
Just grab Malwarebytes and you'll be good.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/
Original post by Bill Nye
Ha ha Norton... Are you kidding me?

Just no. Don't use Norton.
It's crap. Trust me.
It slows down your computer and only gets like 40% of the viruses... And its expensive.
Get Kaspersky or something or windows

Don’t get Windows.
Original post by Rival Dealer
Don’t get Windows.

Meant to say 'for' not 'or' xD
Original post by egdum
Just grab Malwarebytes and you'll be good.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Malwarebytes isn't a antivirus. You need something more than that. You can use an antivirus AND Malwarebytes .
Reply 7
Original post by Bill Nye
Malwarebytes isn't a antivirus. You need something more than that. You can use an antivirus AND Malwarebytes .

Speak to anyone who has done any sort of security research for both systems, and they'll tell you only to grab Malwarebytes for both.
Reply 8
I've got a Mac without anti virus, have done for years and I've always been fine without anyway viruses or anything. That might be because I always update my Mac though

:erm:

OP, you don’t need an antivirus for MacOS.
Original post by beau02
I've got a Mac without anti virus, have done for years and I've always been fine without anyway viruses or anything. That might be because I always update my Mac though

:erm:

It's mostly due to the fact: that there are more viruses programmed for Windows than there are Mac. There are still viruses for Mac.

Original post by Rival Dealer
OP, you don’t need an antivirus for MacOS.

You do need an antivirus for MacOS. Mac's can still get viruses.
You don’t need an antivirus for Mac
Thanks for the responses guys i realised i could just transfer my norton security from my old laptop onto my new mac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending