The Student Room Group

Widening Participation: What does this entail

So my friend had been telling me to check if my postcode came under a deprived area according to the SIMD statistics and on the University of Glasgow website there is an easy search engine which says my postcode is in the top 40% (quintile 2.) What does this mean in terms of achieving offers at different universities? Will this theoretically boost my chances of getting an offer, and if so, lowering the conditions within them?
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
So my friend had been telling me to check if my postcode came under a deprived area according to the SIMD statistics and on the University of Glasgow website there is an easy search engine which says my postcode is in the top 40% (quintile 2.) What does this mean in terms of achieving offers at different universities? Will this theoretically boost my chances of getting an offer, and if so, lowering the conditions within them?

If your postcode is top 40% it would mean you're too privileged... I think youre confused

Anyway check bristol. they lower offer to AAB if you''re eligible. And other unis may do it too
Original post by itsfantanoooo
If your postcode is top 40% it would mean you're too privileged... I think youre confused

Anyway check bristol. they lower offer to AAB if you''re eligible. And other unis may do it too

Sorry I should've stated that my postcode is in the top 40% most deprived regions in Scotland/UK (not sure what one), honestly, I have no idea how it is as I thought my area was quite affluent. Not complaining, however. Universities like the Glasgow seem to have a system in place where those who are in this bracket are considered with a more thoughtful mindset of their background.
Sorry I should've stated that my postcode is in the top 40% most deprived regions in Scotland/UK (not sure what one), honestly, I have no idea how it is as I thought my area was quite affluent. Not complaining, however. Universities like the Glasgow seem to have a system in place where those who are in this bracket are considered with a more thoughtful mindset of their background.

Okay yeah so if you got a score of 2 then you're automatically eligible for bristol's contextual offer of AAB or lower (normally A*AA)

And yeah im guessing a bunch of other unis will lower your offer + unis will look at your background and view the fact that you come from a less affluent area positively and to your advantage
Original post by itsfantanoooo
Okay yeah so if you got a score of 2 then you're automatically eligible for bristol's contextual offer of AAB or lower (normally A*AA)

And yeah im guessing a bunch of other unis will lower your offer + unis will look at your background and view the fact that you come from a less affluent area positively and to your advantage

That's so weird, it's almost as if they got the less affluent side of my village mixed up with the more affluent side of the village... It feels almost unfair. I haven't applied to Bristol or any English university on that matter as it would be silly not to capitalise on free tuition fees here in Scotland. I did almost apply for Newcastle though!
That's so weird, it's almost as if they got the less affluent side of my village mixed up with the more affluent side of the village... It feels almost unfair. I haven't applied to Bristol or any English university on that matter as it would be silly not to capitalise on free tuition fees here in Scotland. I did almost apply for Newcastle though!

Yeah, I guess the system isn't perfect however I do think you're somewhat of an anomaly (im sure this is more accurate in more urban areas)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending