The Student Room Group

From sixth form dropout to BBB at AS - A Journey

Hi!

Welcome to my Grow Your Grades 2017 blog!

My story is a little different from some of the others I have seen - I'm an AS student, with a pretty dodgy educational track record. I achieved 7C's at GCSE, and decided to stay at my local sixth form as I thought it was the best option I had.

I enrolled on to a Level 2 BTEC - Public Services, as I thought it would be ok as a 1 year course to get me on to a-levels. Oh how I was wrong. Fast forward to 3 weeks before the end of the course, and I'm recovering from surgery at home, signed off and considering dropping out completely. So I did - spoiler alert, I didn't even achieve the BTEC.

So - after looking into my options a little more I decided to study a little further away, at a much bigger college. By some small miracle they accepted me, and I am currently 6 weeks into 3 AS Levels which I never thought I'd be able to take!

I'm studying:
AS Sociology (Predicted grade C)
AS Politics (Predicted grade C)
AS Religious Studies (Predicted grade... you guessed it, also a C!)

I've got my heart absolutely set on studying children's nursing at LJMU, and I'm doing everything I can to make sure I get there.

For me - I don't find it particularly easy all of the time. I have absolutely no idea how this year is going to go, but all I can do is aim as high as I can!

So, despite the fact it's nearly 2am on a Saturday night, this is hopefully the first of many posts as I attempt to pass the year.

Wish me luck!!
:tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reading through everyone's blogs has given me a strange burst of motivation - so I've stuck on a Spotify "daily mix" and I'm getting on with some work for sociology. Who's sleep? I don't know her.
:cute:

Spoiler

Original post by nevemarie17
Reading through everyone's blogs has given me a strange burst of motivation - so I've stuck on a Spotify "daily mix" and I'm getting on with some work for sociology. Who's sleep? I don't know her.
:cute:

Spoiler

I relate to that girl!!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by FloralHybrid
I relate to that girl!!! :smile:

The temptation to give up for the night and watch Netflix is oh so strong, but I'm enjoying pretending that I've absolutely got my life together! :tongue:
The temptation to give up for the night and watch Netflix is oh so strong, but I'm enjoying pretending that I've absolutely got my life together! :tongue:

I'm also resisting the urge to put Dexter or Breaking Bad on - We can do this! Fake it till you make it, least that's what I'm gonna tell myself as I write my psychology essay 😂
Reply 5
I'm also resisting the urge to put Dexter or Breaking Bad on - We can do this! Fake it till you make it, least that's what I'm gonna tell myself as I write my psychology essay 😂

I'm also soooo tempted to start Dexter... I haven't watched it yet but I've wanted to for ages :frown: Fake it till you make it for the win!

I've been motivating myself with Brooklyn99. Episodes are like 20 mins so every 500 words of an essay I've been watching an episode. Probably unsustainable, but whatever it takes, right? :smile:
I'm also soooo tempted to start Dexter... I haven't watched it yet but I've wanted to for ages :frown: Fake it till you make it for the win!

I've been motivating myself with Brooklyn99. Episodes are like 20 mins so every 500 words of an essay I've been watching an episode. Probably unsustainable, but whatever it takes, right? :smile:

I'd definitely recommend Dexter!! Brooklyn99 is on my list to watch too 😂 That's a good system - Dexter eps are about 45 minutes so maybe every thousand words or so watch an episode?

I went to sleep at 4am and just woke up - Whoops! Essays done though ☺️
Reply 7
I'd definitely recommend Dexter!! Brooklyn99 is on my list to watch too 😂 That's a good system - Dexter eps are about 45 minutes so maybe every thousand words or so watch an episode?

I went to sleep at 4am and just woke up - Whoops! Essays done though ☺️

Ahh that's a very good idea! I went to sleep at the same time and yep, woke up at 11! I'm glad you've been able to do the essay, I've been doing revision slides for sociology and now I think I'm going to go in search of something to eat! :h:
Ahh that's a very good idea! I went to sleep at the same time and yep, woke up at 11! I'm glad you've been able to do the essay, I've been doing revision slides for sociology and now I think I'm going to go in search of something to eat! :h:

Great idea. What subjects do you take btw? I do Eng Lit, History, Psych and Drama :smile:
Great idea. What subjects do you take btw? I do Eng Lit, History, Psych and Drama :smile:

YOU MENTIONED IT IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST NEVER MIND 😂

Ahhh I gotta pay attention more.

I'm doing Politics, RS, Sociology and current affairs! I wish I'd taken history :frown:
Do you know what you want to take after?
YOU MENTIONED IT IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST NEVER MIND 😂

Ahhh I gotta pay attention more.

Hahaha I didn't even remember what I wrote in that post... so I think I need to too :u::tongue:
I'm doing Politics, RS, Sociology and current affairs! I wish I'd taken history :frown:
Do you know what you want to take after?

I'm a Year 13, so I'd like to take Law - But I haven't applied this year - My only AS (Psychology) was a mere D grade, so my aim this year is also to put a lot more work in and apply during my gap year :smile:
Plans for the day:
- Go to the shop and buy snacks for revision (Idk... brownies sound good?)
- Finish drafting my essay notes for politics
- Actually do my politics homework due after half term
- Watch Dexter
- Get enough sleep to be able to do my 8hr shift tmrw without dying... unlikely?

All of this hard work trying to stay awake is getting kinda hard already :tongue:

Spoiler

I'm a Year 13, so I'd like to take Law - But I haven't applied this year - My only AS (Psychology) was a mere D grade, so my aim this year is also to put a lot more work in and apply during my gap year :smile:

Oh nooo! I quite fancied law for a long time, I wanted to be a criminal prosecution barrister! Have you got any gap year plans? :smile:
Oh nooo! I quite fancied law for a long time, I wanted to be a criminal prosecution barrister! Have you got any gap year plans? :smile:

Me too! I'd love to be a barrister :smile: - I'll be hopefully working full time to save up some money, plus learning to drive. Not as exciting as travelling, but it'll help when I hit Uni the following year!

I'll pop in and help motivate whenever needed :smile:
Me too! I'd love to be a barrister :smile: - I'll be hopefully working full time to save up some money, plus learning to drive. Not as exciting as travelling, but it'll help when I hit Uni the following year!

I'll pop in and help motivate whenever needed :smile:

Motivation will absolutely be needed! (right now I'm lacking the motivation to even get out of bed tbh)

I'm thinking of working full time as a HCA for a year after a-levels, but that would mean I wouldn't start uni until I'd just turned 20... but the experience would be good, and the money!

I also need to learn to drive, I always said I would as soon as I turned 17 but I've been 17 for like 4 months and still nothing :h:
Motivation will absolutely be needed! (right now I'm lacking the motivation to even get out of bed tbh)

I'm thinking of working full time as a HCA for a year after a-levels, but that would mean I wouldn't start uni until I'd just turned 20... but the experience would be good, and the money!

I also need to learn to drive, I always said I would as soon as I turned 17 but I've been 17 for like 4 months and still nothing :h:

Honestly me too, I'm sat with Netflix on contemplating not moving for another 2 hours :/ BUT WE CAN DO THIS 😂 Mainly because I want lunch..

It would be! Plenty of students are older than 18 at Uni, and at 20 they wouldn't be able to tell. You'd fit right in.

Me too! 17 in April just gone. I was gonna start lessons this year, but I'll focus on my A-Levels and do it during my year off. :smile:
Honestly me too, I'm sat with Netflix on contemplating not moving for another 2 hours :/ BUT WE CAN DO THIS 😂 Mainly because I want lunch..

It would be! Plenty of students are older than 18 at Uni, and at 20 they wouldn't be able to tell. You'd fit right in.

Me too! 17 in April just gone. I was gonna start lessons this year, but I'll focus on my A-Levels and do it during my year off. :smile:

I'm very much needing to go and get some lunch! However I've finally got comfy again and I would quite like to go back to sleep!

That sounds like a very good idea! :^_^:
soc 01.jpg

Ok, so I'm getting on with some sociology revision materials. For the unit on children and families there's a massive focus on perspectives on family. I've decided to decorate my notes with some little pictures (might just make them a bit better to look at?!) and I'm also doing supporting powerpoint slides.

Has anyone else made any revision materials for sociology? I Personally like to revise from revision cards, posters and slides - i've never been one that can remember masses of information straight from books!

You can find out about what type of learner you are and how best you can revise on http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending