The Student Room Group

Is my driving instructor bad news?

I had my first lesson today and I was nervous. I am worried a bit about my driving instructor he seemed like a nice guy, but I didn't feel at ease. As a bit of background he is the cheapest instructor in my area at £44 for 2 hours and had no waiting list. We arrived to the location and the very first thing he asked me to do as I got into the driving seat was pay. I was shocked and a bit taken back as I thought I would pay at the end. He then asked me if I was paying for a block straight out at £200. I was very shocked as I hadn't even started to drive, I told him I would pay for the one lesson now. We began driving at it went alright. I did actually get to drive and we went around the block several times doing left turns. He helped me out with the controls and nudged me with the steering wheel etc. He then asked me what my goal was and I stupidly said to pass by June. Now I was thinking about my A level exams and want to pass by then. I am worried he might now string my lessons out and try not to get me to pass quickly and make the most cash off me as possible. Do you think that is the case?

My family are concerned the instructor is the cheapest with no waiting list and they said "it didn't look good" and "alarm bells rang in their head". The instructor is only part time which I only found out today and he is independent. My family want me to go with a company which is more expensive and with a longer waiting list.

What should I do? Do you think my instructor will try and rip me off?? I am sooo anxious now and feel sick! Please help!
I say go with the safer option and go with a company because he does sound a bit dodgy. Even though you should never judge a book by a cover I'd rather be safe than sorry Hun x
Reply 2
Original post by Badgirl55
I say go with the safer option and go with a company because he does sound a bit dodgy. Even though you should never judge a book by a cover I'd rather be safe than sorry Hun x

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it. :smile:
I don't know any instructors that ask you to pay before the lesson. Always been after.
And if the instructor is independant, avoid blocks at all costs unless others have verified his reliability.
Reply 4
In your opinion do you think he sounds a bit dodgy? I am not sure really I know one person who passed with him. I am just a little worried he may only think about the money and see me as an easy opportunity to earn a lot of money. If I were to pay a block the cost would drop to £40 for 2 hours as I would pay £200 for 5 lessons. Should I tell him that I will pay at the end? He did ask me and say "do you want to pay me now?", I didn't want to say no or anything so I just paid the £44 for that lesson. Perhaps he was worried as we hadn't discussed price first and he didn't want to teach me without me agreeing to pay him the fee first?
Reply 5
Personally I'd try to avoid worrying about cost per lesson. You will spend more with a bad instructor who charges less then a good one that charges more. Across 40 lessons the difference is £200 (paying £20 vs£25) i.e 8 lessons more, it is probable you could get made to have 8 more lessons then you need from some one struggling to find students.

He may be a good or bad instructor I'd give it a few more lessons and look at the points mentioned here https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/should-i-change-driving-instructors/.html

I've been at both ends of the spectrum strung along with a terrible instructor who put me off driving for 3 yrs and on the other hand nearly stopped lessons with an amazing instructor simply because of that first terrible experience which simply made me overly cautious. I'm so thankful I struck gold with the second instructor she's simply outstanding. It's hard to know what to do but try and make sure you're comfortable with what ever you decide before acting on it that's one thing I made sure that second time around and it paid off.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by T_B_N.
Personally I'd try to avoid worrying about cost per lesson. You will spend more with a bad instructor who charges less then a good one that charges more. Across 40 lessons the difference is £200 (paying £20 vs£25) i.e 8 lessons more, it is probable you could get made to have 8 more lessons then you need from some one struggling to find students.

He may be a good or bad instructor I'd give it a few more lessons and look at the points mentioned here https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/should-i-change-driving-instructors/.html

I've been at both ends of the spectrum strung along with a terrible instructor who put me off driving for 3 yrs and on the other hand nearly stopped lessons with an amazing instructor simply because of that first terrible experience which simply made me overly cautious. I'm so thankful I struck gold with the second instructor she's simply outstanding. It's hard to know what to do but try and make sure you're comfortable with what ever you decide before acting on it that's one thing I made sure that second time around and it paid off.

I don't really know if he was a "bad" instructor, for my first lesson I did do a lot of driving, I just felt he saw pound signs so to speak. He also isn't able to commit fully as he is only part time which I was a little gutted about. His car was really good and easy to drive. I just found his instructions were a little unclear which may have just been me, I get confused sometimes with all the terminology "cover the break", "feather the clutch" etc. He also would put his hands up to the driver behind me to say thanks, but it just made me feel a bit useless when he did it. How was your driving instructor bad and at what point did you know?
Reply 7
Original post by OwlOfFire
I don't really know if he was a "bad" instructor, for my first lesson I did do a lot of driving, I just felt he saw pound signs so to speak. He also isn't able to commit fully as he is only part time which I was a little gutted about. His car was really good and easy to drive. I just found his instructions were a little unclear which may have just been me, I get confused sometimes with all the terminology "cover the break", "feather the clutch" etc. He also would put his hands up to the driver behind me to say thanks, but it just made me feel a bit useless when he did it. How was your driving instructor bad and at what point did you know?

I had to move back to university had an instructor in my home town who was OK. The instructor who I got at university was the bad one.

There was a lot of things such as using his phone during lessons, going to the toilet during lessons, not filling in my progress book once in 10 lessons, cutting lessons short, sharing his iffy political views regularly etc.

I probably knew after about 5 or so hours but the reason why I didn't change sooner was I felt I'd spent x amount of money with him and only thought that changing instructor would waste more money I don't honestly think I learnt anything new with him. I hadn't really brought up my lessons with anyone so I hadn't really thought too much of it.

My final lesson with him was one where he spent 1/2 the lesson in quick fit and still got me to pay for the lessons even though it was the person before me that caused the damage and I drove for less then half of it.

I don't think the problems you mention are that bad. But I guess you have to think which things matter to you most. I'd personally give it another lesson if there is anything you don't like bring it up and have a 5th 1hr lesson if it doesn't change, change instructor.

Quick Reply

Latest