The Student Room Group

Please help :(

This mostly happens to everyone and I can understand why they do it but my parents are insisting me to becoming a Doctor or a Pharmacist or an Engineer or even a Dentist. My brother didn't do to well on his gcses so it makes sense they expect highly of me. The problem is I don't know what to be. I was thinking of doing architecture but I'm not that good in maths and maths seems to take over lots of subjects.

My sciences aren't that bad but since medicine is quite competitive I don't think I stand a chance on getting in a med-school.
Is there any unis that accept B's on biology and chemistry. I got an A on my English lit and language so I'm pretty confident with my English.
Original post by Averagepersonon
This mostly happens to everyone and I can understand why they do it but my parents are insisting me to becoming a Doctor or a Pharmacist or an Engineer or even a Dentist. My brother didn't do to well on his gcses so it makes sense they expect highly of me. The problem is I don't know what to be. I was thinking of doing architecture but I'm not that good in maths and maths seems to take over lots of subjects.

My sciences aren't that bad but since medicine is quite competitive I don't think I stand a chance on getting in a med-school.
Is there any unis that accept B's on biology and chemistry. I got an A on my English lit and language so I'm pretty confident with my English.

What are the grades that ya got for each subject?

I may be wrong but I don't think that you need to be amazing at maths to do architecture. You need to be good at art or graphics though.

Are you doing a levels?
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
I may be wrong but I don't think that you need to be amazing at maths to do architecture. You need to be good at art or graphics though.

Are you doing a levels?

Most schools will require maths actually for architecture and physics/chemistry along with a portfolio over taking an arts subject. The arts subject is mainly to achieve the portfolio. But I agree strong graphics and art skills are a must

OP, your parents want you in really competitive fields, if you don't have the passion for these careers it will be obvious in how you conduct yourself at interview and generally I think it would make you very unhappy. Maybe sit down with your parents and using the grades you have go through some courses together and see if you can find some common interests, architecture is a good start, explore some unis!
Original post by Milky_Way
Most schools will require maths actually for architecture and physics/chemistry along with a portfolio over taking an arts subject. The arts subject is mainly to achieve the portfolio. But I agree strong graphics and art skills are a must

OP, your parents want you in really competitive fields, if you don't have the passion for these careers it will be obvious in how you conduct yourself at interview and generally I think it would make you very unhappy. Maybe sit down with your parents and using the grades you have go through some courses together and see if you can find some common interests, architecture is a good start, explore some unis!

Can you name some please. I just looked at a few and they all say that they don't require any subjects and this includes Cambridge. They also said that art is more useful than DT
Can you name some please. I just looked at a few and they all say that they don't require any subjects and this includes Cambridge. They also said that art is more useful than DT

Manchester prefers a mix of art and science subjects but don't require an art a level 'Mixture of science/maths and humanities/arts subjects preferred'

Bath I know really want a maths or physics are require a strong grade in either as well as a strong background in the arts (visual arts or DT as well as a portfolio)

Are you doing a levels?

I'm going to start college soon and I'm in a dilemma on choosing what subjects I need for a certain career. At the moment I have no idea on what should I be
I'm going to start college soon and I'm in a dilemma on choosing what subjects I need for a certain career. At the moment I have no idea on what should I be

It's already half term how comes you haven't started school yet?

If you want to do architecture I'd recommend doing graphics, art and maths. You don't need maths as much but one of the other two would be quite useful for making a portfolio. From what I know you need to be good at drawing.
Original post by The Sikh Surgeon
What are the grades that ya got for each subject?

English=A
Maths=B (is intermediate bad? Cuz a college teacher went to our school and he said higher tier B is more accepted)
Physics C (I plan to re-sit)
Biology=C
Chemistry=B
R.E=A
Welsh=A*
Welsh bacc=Merit

I've been interested in law lately and maybe just maybe I might take the course
It's already half term how comes you haven't started school yet?

If you want to do architecture I'd recommend doing graphics, art and maths. You don't need maths as much but one of the other two would be quite useful for making a portfolio. From what I know you need to be good at drawing.

I live in Wales I haven't started half term yet and when I meant soon, well I guess I was exaggerating :3 what I meant is I'm in year 11 and I'm already doing my gcses and I'm just nervous that I only have about less than 8 months till college
(edited 6 years ago)
I live in Wales I haven't started half term yet and when I meant soon, well I guess I was exaggerating :3 what I meant is I'm in year 11 and I'm already doing my gcses and I'm just nervous that I only have about less than 8 months till college

Ah right that makes sense. Do some research into the subjects that I mentioned and see what you think. Could even look into something new such as economics or psychology if you like those areas.
Also are the grades listed above mock results?
Ah right that makes sense. Do some research into the subjects that I mentioned and see what you think. Could even look into something new such as economics or psychology if you like those areas.
Also are the grades listed above mock results?

No those are my real gcse results from yr 10. We started our GCSEs kinda early and we're gonna do some more this year aswell and in the summer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending