The Student Room Group

Do you believe that the death penalty is an effective deterrent for crime?

Poll

Do you believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent for crime?

Yes or no?

Scroll to see replies

Nope nope, anyone doing a crime which has the risk of the death penalty wouldn't care in the first place.
Not really. A lot of people who do these horrible crimes don't think (or care about) the penalties. In the case of mass-shooters, they usually shoot themselves anyway.

My main problem with the death penalty is that the legal system isn't perfect and people get sentenced wrongly sometimes. It's bad enough being sent to prison for something you didn't do, but being accidentally executed is far worse in my opinion.
Original post by Golyhawhaw
Nope nope, anyone doing a crime which has the risk of the death penalty wouldn't care in the first place.

Isn't there then also the other side who would care for death penalty, however, since it's not in place they'd go ahead with their crime?
Original post by Placeboo123
Isn't there then also the other side who would care for death penalty, however, since it's not in place they'd go ahead with their crime?

You make a fair point but I personally can't see someone who say is a child-killer or serial killer caring about the consequences.
Original post by Golyhawhaw
You make a fair point but I personally can't see someone who say is a child-killer or serial killer caring about the consequences.

I'd disagree, I think that a lot of these 'people' simply become comfortable with the idea of prison and don't particularly see it as punishment but a way of life. Whereas if that life were to be under threat their actions would potentially be different.
Besides, why exactly would you like to spare a child-killer's life?
What does the evidence say?

Do countries with the death penalty have a significantly lower rate of crime?
even if does not deter criminals we should still have the death penalty... clearly prison does not deter criminals but we still have prison don't we ?
I'd disagree, I think that a lot of these 'people' simply become comfortable with the idea of prison and don't particularly see it as punishment but a way of life. Whereas if that life were to be under threat their actions would potentially be different.

And some people would prefer death to life imprisonment, so what's your point?
Original post by IamJacksContempt
And some people would prefer death to life imprisonment, so what's your point?

My point is that I don't feel any sympathy for remorseless criminals and would prefer my tax money to be allocated into education or the NHS as oppose to feeding and accommodating useless despicable individuals.
Original post by 999tigger
What does the evidence say?

Do countries with the death penalty have a significantly lower rate of crime?

Yes, China (which has the death penalty) has a significantly lower crime rate than the United States (no death penalty) does. I'll link my sources but I must say, you have made an excellent point.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/China/United-States/Crime
(edited 6 years ago)
Belief doesn't have much to do with it. From what I can tell, there is no evidence that the death penalty is a better deterrent than other penalties, and other sentences clearly also have better outcomes for the criminals. You can't rehabilitate someone after you've executed them.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w11982

https://books.google.co.uk/books?hl=en&lr=&id=cykerQg3wMEC&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=death+penalty+deterrence&ots=PG6QVPRlfn&sig=cq7entzVnmThuV6-AWsZ25Yzuf0#v=onepage&q&f=false

^ pages 152-155 are pertinent
Original post by the bear
even if does not deter criminals we should still have the death penalty... clearly prison does not deter criminals but we still have prison don't we ?

Any evidence you'd like to present to support your claim that prison sentences do not deter criminals?
Quite simply NO, Lifetime is prison is a much more daunting task than the kop out that is a lethal injection, death Penalty should be made available for small crimes as a deterrent to be more effective and jail should be for more serious crimes
My point is that I don't feel any sympathy for remorseless criminals and would prefer my tax money to be allocated into education or the NHS as oppose to feeding and accommodating useless despicable individuals.

The death penalty is incredibly expensive to administer - counterintuitively, it's actually more expensive than imprisoning criminals for life. Mainly this is because for the death penalty to have any shred of a semblance of humaneness, and to prevent the execution of innocent people, convicts must be allowed multiple appeals, which rack up enormous legal fees. It is possible to reduce the cost of the death penalty - China does it much more cheaply than the U.S., for example - but only at the cost of the lives of innocents.

Criminologists disagree with, a 2008 study found that just over 5% think it’s an effective deterrent. That’s down from 11% in 1996. Outside of you thinking ‘I wouldn’t kill someone if the penalty is death’ there’s nothing to suggest capital punishment deters crime

Which is a complete fallacy because the costs of death row inmates far, far, exceed those in category A prisons. Legal cases run for sometimes decades, 24/7 suicide watch, special isolated prison wings, the political fallout, media circus, potential martyrdom for jihadists etc. etc.

The death penalty is imposed disproportionately on people marginalised socially, politically and economically. Race, creed, the poor, uneducated, low intelligence, drug use, all appear as statistically significant in capital punishment sentencing.

May as well call it social and ethnic cleansing (which it will no doubt be portrayed) by those with a socio-political agenda.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
For me, it's definitely a no.

I personally believe it raises all sorts of ethical issues. So a case is brought in front of a judge and jury. They decide to sentence the accused to death. But what if they get it wrong? A recent study released in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" shows us that the number of wrongful deaths is incredibly high compared to the myth that people believe. Perhaps this isn't a strong enough argument to abolish the death penalty entirely, but put yourself in the shoes of someone sentenced to death's family member who suddenly finds out that the deceased is innocent. I don't think I can truly put into words how I imagine that would feel.

As aforementioned by multiple others in this thread, there is also little evidence to prove that it acts as a strong deterrent. My personal opinion is that if people have it in them to take another's life, then they're going to do that. There is nothing that can change the mind of someone set on murder; I don't believe for a second that they fear the consequences. Perhaps fear is the wrong word. Understand the consequences? Know that there will be consequences? A lot of criminals believe that they've covered their tracks so maybe they believe that they will not get into trouble.

One final note is one from my own morals, and thus I cannot back it up with statistics. For me, it is a case of humanity. If I was the one sentencing people to death, I don't think I could live with myself. Surely it comes full circle and then I am also a murderer? If the underlying foundations for the death penalty is to punish people who have taken lives they had no right to take, does the whole thing not seem somewhat ironic?

Anyway, that's my opinion.
yes we should be able to relieve our emotional insecurities by ending the lives of criminals, such is morally sound.
I think that it can be effective, but it'd need to be implemented for the most heinous crimes; often when the criminal shows no remorse or clearly shows signs of re offending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending