The Student Room Group

EU would ‘probably prefer Corbyn’ as PM

https://www.channel4.com/news/radek-sikorski-eu-would-probably-prefer-corbyn-as-pm

AS time passes PM Corbyn is becoming more and more thinkable
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
I'd prefer Obi-Wan over the Sith Lord anyday xD
Because much to the demise of right wingers Corbyn actually has a personality that says "firm but fair" and will protect domestic interests while understanding that we can't get everything we want when we're up against the EU.

Brexiters and conservatives remind me of a big baby. They think they can get what they like out of this deal and it can all go perfect otherwise it's all the fault of the negotiator.
I would prefer a Green president of France or Jean-Luc Melachon, but the French chose Emmanuel Macron. The EU can prefer Jeremy Corbyn but he is not going to be Prime Minister.
Reply 4
yeh they want him as PM because hes a dangerous marxist who wants to fling the borders open and turn the UK into the next sweden. the EU is full of liberal pansies and cucks
AS time passes PM Corbyn is becoming more and more thinkable :beard:
Reply 6

Oh yeah!

Ever wondered why?

He would bow to there demands http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/828454/Jeremy-Corbyn-brexit-divorce-bill-european-union-budget-Brussels-Michael-Barnier

That's despite Jeremy Corbyn laying into the EU as a backbencher
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/828585/Brexit-news-Jeremy-Corbyn-anti-European-Union-1996-Michel-Barnier-Labour-Party

He becomes labour leader as a shock candidate then sells out to the EU, I have no respect for him and until he's replaced my votes going to UKIP as i really dislike some of the pompous tories
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by barnetlad
I would prefer a Green president of France or Jean-Luc Melachon, but the French chose Emmanuel Macron. The EU can prefer Jeremy Corbyn but he is not going to be Prime Minister.

I would prefer Le'Pen but the french lost their spine...
Reply 8
The thing is Corbyn has always been Anti-EU and that perfectly explains why his Remain campaign was bad, simply because he wanted to throw the vote.
Reply 9
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
https://www.channel4.com/news/radek-sikorski-eu-would-probably-prefer-corbyn-as-pm

Just to confirm.. your suprised that a EU who wants us to stay in the ECJ, customs union and contribute would prefer a guy to negotiate with who wants a softer (therefore closer and more expensive Brexit over time) Brexit.

Your shock is akin to the guy at election time here who said there would be no rail strikes over conductors under a Corbyn government.. well yeah, because his stated policy was to largely capitulate.

Hell i'll go out on a limb and say that they'd prefer to negotiate with Vince Cable.. because his stated policy is to just go for EFTA and largely capitulate.

The measure of success is not how quickly negotiations proceed but what the final deal looks like. If May can remove us from the common commercial tariff, customs union, fisheries policy, agricultural policy, ECJ and have us no longer making net contributions by 2025 then i will hail her a success.
Original post by Rakas21
Just to confirm.. your suprised that a EU who wants us to stay in the ECJ, customs union and contribute would prefer a guy to negotiate with who wants a softer (therefore closer and more expensive Brexit over time) Brexit.

Your shock is akin to the guy at election time here who said there would be no rail strikes over conductors under a Corbyn government.. well yeah, because his stated policy was to largely capitulate.

Hell i'll go out on a limb and say that they'd prefer to negotiate with Vince Cable.. because his stated policy is to just go for EFTA and largely capitulate.

The measure of success is not how quickly negotiations proceed but what the final deal looks like. If May can remove us from the common commercial tariff, customs union, fisheries policy, agricultural policy, ECJ and have us no longer making net contributions by 2025 then i will hail her a success.

It's more that its a sign that neoliberal power blocks now see a labour bennite as being nearer to their interests than the Conservative party. That's some real Tony Blair **** right there.

At the Labour Party conference business leaders turned up this time and the general consensus is that they are willing to put up with a lot if single market access can be secured. If you are a conservative and your reaction to this is to just dismiss it as EU treachery you are really playing with fire.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's more that its a sign that neoliberal power blocks now see a labour bennite as being nearer to their interests than the Conservative party. That's some real Tony Blair **** right there.

At the Labour Party conference business leaders turned up this time and the general consensus is that they are willing to put up with a lot if single market access can be secured. If you are a conservative and your reaction to this is to just dismiss it as EU treachery you are really playing with fire.

Of course. The likes of Trump and Brexit have exposed the Anglosphere vs EU differences in mentality. Labour accept the referendum but they have a much more European mentality.
Original post by FL Watch
Oh yeah!

Ever wondered why?

He would bow to there demands http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/828454/Jeremy-Corbyn-brexit-divorce-bill-european-union-budget-Brussels-Michael-Barnier

That's despite Jeremy Corbyn laying into the EU as a backbencher
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/828585/Brexit-news-Jeremy-Corbyn-anti-European-Union-1996-Michel-Barnier-Labour-Party

He becomes labour leader as a shock candidate then sells out to the EU, I have no respect for him and until he's replaced my votes going to UKIP as i really dislike some of the pompous tories

Linking the express as a reliable source is like me linking to the canary or AAV
Original post by Rakas21
Of course. The likes of Trump and Brexit have exposed the Anglosphere vs EU differences in mentality. Labour accept the referendum but they have a much more European mentality.

That is a understatement. The amount of moaning people do on the Labour fourm on facebook is off the scale. I admit I voted leave based on immigration and they literally wanted to hang me. Got called a far right wing collaborator and everything.

Miss me Rakas?
Doesn't matter what EU ***** prefer. UK said no to him, that's how it'll stay :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M4cc4n4
The thing is Corbyn has always been Anti-EU and that perfectly explains why his Remain campaign was bad, simply because he wanted to throw the vote.

I doubt that it was just him - Labour as a party couldn't make up its collective mind during the referendum, it was split into factions and there was much less evidence at that time that Corbyn could do well in elections, so his internal position was weaker. It is true that he's by nature an 'anti', not least because of his Bennite cult position in the 70s and 80s (Tony Benn was a lifelong opponent of the EU, which he and his supporters saw as a corporate con trick) - he seems to have missed the Thatcher era altogether, when the Right became the EU-bashers and the Left tended more towards seeing Europe as a way to override Tory attacks on worker rights, etc.

Corbyn now is starting to drift to the latter position and I'm still convinced that once they have it in statute that Parliament must vote on any final agreement (it's looking increasingly likely this will get passed) then Labour will eventually veto anything that doesn't look like retaining Single Market access or even, just possibly, might demand a rerun of the referendum or a fresh vote in the House on the In/Out question.
Original post by Rakas21

There's always been the tension between the US/UK and EU and between the 'Anglo-Saxon' model and the European Collective. The only real achievement of Trump is to make it look even dafter to try to align with the US only. The UK traditionally since the war steered a middle way between the two. It's just not practical to imagine the US will take up the export gap if the EU impose tariffs, which is likely. Even if our exports to the US doubled, that would be nowhere near enough. The US continues to behave in protectionist and aggressive ways towards us in practise.

Unsurprising that they want a leader who doesn't like the country he is leader of, and would want to give in to any EU demands even more than May is doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending