The Student Room Group

A levels from abroad

Hi . I'm 16 and I would like to take the A levels , but I'm studying (and living) in Romania. I find the Romanian Baccalureate to be disadvantageous for me (I'm not that good at Romanian)... However , I don't have any idea if it is possible for me to do so and ...well... I don't know what to do.
if somebody would be kind enough to explain to me how A levels work and how do I sign up for
them from abroad I would appreciate it.
Reply 1
You will probably have to move to uk???
Reply 2
So far I know that you can take them here since we have a British Council office in Romania
Reply 3
Original post by SirPelikan2
Hi . I'm 16 and I would like to take the A levels , but I'm studying (and living) in Romania. I find the Romanian Baccalureate to be disadvantageous for me (I'm not that good at Romanian)... However , I don't have any idea if it is possible for me to do so and ...well... I don't know what to do.
if somebody would be kind enough to explain to me how A levels work and how do I sign up for
them from abroad I would appreciate it.

In A levels you typically choose 3 (or 4) subjects that are appropiate to what you might want to do at uni This differs quite a lot to the Romanian Bacc since in A level, there are no compulsory subjects.

The A level course takes 2 years where right at the end you take A2 exams. Alternatively there are also AS courses which only last for a year but it is not recommended to take these since unis ask you to take at least 3 (A2) A level courses.

In Romania there are international schools where they offer A level courses, but I am not too sure whether you are willing in going to a different school

These are typical A level combiantions:

For medicine you would usually take :Chemistry, Biology and Maths (some medicine faculties don't mind if you didn't take maths).

For physics at uni you would take: Physics, Maths and Further Maths (although many do take a fourth A level in conjunction with maths and FM).

For law you would take: Any essay based subject.

For Chemistry at uni a common combination is: Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

I would recommend that you browse UCAS and see the typical subjects unis would expect you to take for subjects that you may want to take at uni.

What subjects are you thinking of doing at uni.
Reply 4
I'm thinking mainly about Engineering
Reply 5
However , I have seen people who had chosen to take an A level (they were from state high schools) , but I have lost contact with them
Reply 6
Original post by SirPelikan2
I'm thinking mainly about Engineering

Maths and Physics A-levels plus one other for Engineering. I note you also posted in the Oxbridge forum - in which case Further Mathematics would be a good 3rd A-level.
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Maths and Physics A-levels plus one other for Engineering. I note you also posted in the Oxbridge forum - in which case Further Mathematics would be a good 3rd A-level.

Original post by Doonesbury

Thank you for the information, but so far I'm quite uncertain if A levels would be possible during my year (the baccalaureate is alright , but I may be disadvantaged regarding Romanian)
I also have a question. I find myself in quite the same situation just that instead of Engineering I think about Computer Science.
When do you have to sit the A-Levels? How much do they cost? And where can I find further documentation?

Quick Reply

Latest