The Student Room Group

I'm Not Enjoying Sixth Form, Just Need To Tell Someone

I'll apologize in advanced - this is going to be a really glum post.
(For context, I study Maths, English Language, Computer Science and Theatre Studies, and I am in Year 12).
I made the decision to go to a Sixth Form that takes two hours of traveling to get to as it was the only one any where near me that I liked and that offered my subjects in combination with each other. I get up at 5:45 every morning so I can be on my first of two buses by 6:55. I did this because I was so set on taking two subjects I cared about and was passionate about together, even if they were completely different (Computing and Drama).
I loved the Sixth Form to start with. Only one other person from my old school went to the same one, so it was a fresh start. Instantly, I was in a friendship group of 8 or 9 people, something which I had never experienced during secondary school. I felt truly wanted for one of the first times ever. On top of this, I'd briefly met some people from the Sixth Form during a camp-type thing, who were very nice and introduced me to people in my classes so I wasn't alone. All in all, I loved this place and felt like I was settling in.
Then, it started going a bit wrong for me. The travel times meant I had to be in bed by 8:30 so I could get up on time. All of my frees were immediately filled up with work just because I didn't get home till 5, so didn't reasonably have a lot of time to do it all. Eventually I caved, and spent a few days at a Sixth Form closer to me. In short, I hated it. I missed my subject combination, and I missed my friends. It is possible I made a rash decision as I had just been in a car accident (so wasn't in a good frame of mind), but either way I felt out of place, and went back to my first choice after a few days.
Now it was my subjects that were getting to me. I had a teacher I completely didn't understand for A Level Maths. What's more, I found the work and homework nearly impossible. The highest I've got so far on our weekly homework is probably a C- quite a few others have been getting As and A*s. I try my best and work really hard at it- I've spent 5 hours at it before- but it still stressed me out to no end because I'd panic because it seemed like I was just too dumb to do the work. I'd attend the revision sessions and ask for help, but even then I'd only be 3 questions in. Realistically, I only picked Maths because I thought I wanted to do Computer Science at university. I went to ask if I could swap subjects a day or so before the deadline, but was talked out of swapping because apparently Maths is just a 'hard' subject and 'I'll get it eventually'. Instead, they allowed me to swap classes so that I had a different teacher; problem solved, I thought.
Even after, though, the work never got any easier for me. I told my form tutor about this and she recommended I swap, even though it was after the deadline. I told her about my plan to study Computer Science and how I'd need Maths, though she said that she thought it would be better to drop Maths for something I enjoy more. She arranged for me to go to two English Lit lessons instead of the Maths lessons, one of which I really enjoyed, but the other I found a bit confusing. At this point, I really wasn't sure whether I should just stick out my current options to the end of the year or swap. I am really passionate about English but I felt like I was giving up on my Computer Science plans, something which none of my family wanted me to give up. In the end, I ended up asking one of my parents to ring up and ask if I could have a meeting with someone, as due to a decrease in my mental health I didn't feel like I could make the decision alone.
They were told that it was too late for me to swap now as it was after the deadline, and that the school shouldn't have let me go to the English lessons. Apparently the Headteacher had also been notified, and they also said that I wouldn't be allowed to swap.
At first, I was relieved because I didn't have to make a decision anymore. Now, though, I can't help but wish that I had swapped.
Apparently Computer Science is quite an infamous course. On the open day, and for the first couple of weeks, my teacher had seemed enthusiastic about the course. Now, though, I am really regretting picking the subject. We have been given a textbook - which the teacher says is riddled with errors and will only get us to a grade C at best- and a playlist of videos as our only source of knowledge. I'm not kidding. I have 39 pieces of homework for Computer Science alone to do during this week off. This is because the teacher doesn't actually ever teach us anything. I know that sounds cliche, but in the past 7 weeks the teacher has only spoken at the front of the classroom once - and that was because I'd explained to him that I couldn't really learn and understand things from the textbook and videos. Since then, though, nothing has changed. I have work that I handed in 5 weeks ago that has still not been marked yet, and more work is being set. I am literally not being taught the content, which has consequently sapped all of the motivation and enthusiasm I had for the subject out of me, which then makes me regret picking Maths because I only picked it to support my Computing studies.
I feel so depressed and unmotivated because of this. I enjoy my other two subjects immensely, but Maths and Computing are always looming on my mind. I don't enjoy school anymore, even though I used to love it. The traveling and workload means I haven't seen my friends or left the house for a non-school reason in about 5 or 6 weeks. I just want a break, and am struggling to see how I can get myself out of this situation. The only happiness I feel in my life anymore comes from my family and my therapist, who are always there for me to talk to.
When I'm 18 and I've finished my A Levels, I hope to apply to study the English Lit A Level at my local college (though I don't know how I'll manage to afford the tuition fees as I'm not from a very well-off background) and maybe go on to do it at degree level because at the moment I can't stand doing Computing any longer than I have to.

Sorry for how messy and long this post is, I just felt like I needed to express how I was feeling. I know it sounds like I'm just picking fault with everything, but please believe me when I say I'm trying so, so hard to succeed; I really am, I just feel so lost right now, and like I've messed up my future.

If anyone could offer any advice- or even just any support- I'd be immensely grateful.

Thanks so much to anyone who read this far.
Original post by Anonymous
(For context, I study Maths, English Language, Computer Science and Theatre Studies, and I am in Year 12).
I made the decision to go to a Sixth Form that takes two hours of traveling to get to as it was the only one any where near me that I liked and that offered my subjects in combination with each other. I get up at 5:45 every morning so I can be on my first of two buses by 6:55. I did this because I was so set on taking two subjects I cared about and was passionate about together, even if they were completely different (Computing and Drama).
I loved the Sixth Form to start with. Only one other person from my old school went to the same one, so it was a fresh start. Instantly, I was in a friendship group of 8 or 9 people, something which I had never experienced during secondary school. I felt truly wanted for one of the first times ever. On top of this, I'd briefly met some people from the Sixth Form during a camp-type thing, who were very nice and introduced me to people in my classes so I wasn't alone. All in all, I loved this place and felt like I was settling in.
Then, it started going a bit wrong for me. The travel times meant I had to be in bed by 8:30 so I could get up on time. All of my frees were immediately filled up with work just because I didn't get home till 5, so didn't reasonably have a lot of time to do it all. Eventually I caved, and spent a few days at a Sixth Form closer to me. In short, I hated it. I missed my subject combination, and I missed my friends. It is possible I made a rash decision as I had just been in a car accident (so wasn't in a good frame of mind), but either way I felt out of place, and went back to my first choice after a few days.
Now it was my subjects that were getting to me. I had a teacher I completely didn't understand for A Level Maths. What's more, I found the work and homework nearly impossible. The highest I've got so far on our weekly homework is probably a C- quite a few others have been getting As and A*s. I try my best and work really hard at it- I've spent 5 hours at it before- but it still stressed me out to no end because I'd panic because it seemed like I was just too dumb to do the work. I'd attend the revision sessions and ask for help, but even then I'd only be 3 questions in. Realistically, I only picked Maths because I thought I wanted to do Computer Science at university. I went to ask if I could swap subjects a day or so before the deadline, but was talked out of swapping because apparently Maths is just a 'hard' subject and 'I'll get it eventually'. Instead, they allowed me to swap classes so that I had a different teacher; problem solved, I thought.
Even after, though, the work never got any easier for me. I told my form tutor about this and she recommended I swap, even though it was after the deadline. I told her about my plan to study Computer Science and how I'd need Maths, though she said that she thought it would be better to drop Maths for something I enjoy more. She arranged for me to go to two English Lit lessons instead of the Maths lessons, one of which I really enjoyed, but the other I found a bit confusing. At this point, I really wasn't sure whether I should just stick out my current options to the end of the year or swap. I am really passionate about English but I felt like I was giving up on my Computer Science plans, something which none of my family wanted me to give up. In the end, I ended up asking one of my parents to ring up and ask if I could have a meeting with someone, as due to a decrease in my mental health I didn't feel like I could make the decision alone.
They were told that it was too late for me to swap now as it was after the deadline, and that the school shouldn't have let me go to the English lessons. Apparently the Headteacher had also been notified, and they also said that I wouldn't be allowed to swap.
At first, I was relieved because I didn't have to make a decision anymore. Now, though, I can't help but wish that I had swapped.
Apparently Computer Science is quite an infamous course. On the open day, and for the first couple of weeks, my teacher had seemed enthusiastic about the course. Now, though, I am really regretting picking the subject. We have been given a textbook - which the teacher says is riddled with errors and will only get us to a grade C at best- and a playlist of videos as our only source of knowledge. I'm not kidding. I have 39 pieces of homework for Computer Science alone to do during this week off. This is because the teacher doesn't actually ever teach us anything. I know that sounds cliche, but in the past 7 weeks the teacher has only spoken at the front of the classroom once - and that was because I'd explained to him that I couldn't really learn and understand things from the textbook and videos. Since then, though, nothing has changed. I have work that I handed in 5 weeks ago that has still not been marked yet, and more work is being set. I am literally not being taught the content, which has consequently sapped all of the motivation and enthusiasm I had for the subject out of me, which then makes me regret picking Maths because I only picked it to support my Computing studies.
I feel so depressed and unmotivated because of this. I enjoy my other two subjects immensely, but Maths and Computing are always looming on my mind. I don't enjoy school anymore, even though I used to love it. The traveling and workload means I haven't seen my friends or left the house for a non-school reason in about 5 or 6 weeks. I just want a break, and am struggling to see how I can get myself out of this situation. The only happiness I feel in my life anymore comes from my family and my therapist, who are always there for me to talk to.
When I'm 18 and I've finished my A Levels, I hope to apply to study the English Lit A Level at my local college (though I don't know how I'll manage to afford the tuition fees as I'm not from a very well-off background) and maybe go on to do it at degree level because at the moment I can't stand doing Computing any longer than I have to.

Sorry for how messy and long this post is, I just felt like I needed to express how I was feeling. I know it sounds like I'm just picking fault with everything, but please believe me when I say I'm trying so, so hard to succeed; I really am, I just feel so lost right now, and like I've messed up my future.

If anyone could offer any advice- or even just any support- I'd be immensely grateful.

If you use paragraphs maybe myself or someone else will be a lot more likely to read the whole thing.

Don't know if this will be helpful in anyway, but I have to wake up at 5 AM, leave the house by 5:30AM, walk through 5 fields, walk across a busy main road, then get on a 90 minute bus to get to school. By the time I'm there, my clothes are usually soaked. Oh and to top it off, I have to wear a suit. So you could have it worse off.
(edited 6 years ago)

4hrs of commuting daily and you expected to keep sane? - u gotta move back to the other sixth form, its not good for u staying over there clearly. no friends, who cares? -you can make more. don't like the subject combination-not the end of the world since right now youre doubting CS
Reply 3
Hey, I'm in year 13 doing my A Levels. I am studying Computer Science, Maths and Physics. I only picked Maths and Physics so that they would support my Computer Science. I'm fine with Maths but Physics is a struggle for me. I want to go into Game Development so I keep telling myself that it's just one more year until I can stop doing the subjects I have to do and do the subject I'm interested in. I can absolutely see where you're coming from. What did you like about Computer Science to begin with? What made you want to pursue it as a career?
Reply 4
Original post by jakey_99
If you use paragraphs maybe myself or someone else will be a lot more likely to read the whole thing.

Don't know if this will be helpful in anyway, but I have to wake up at 5 AM, leave the house by 5:30AM, walk through 5 fields, walk across a busy main road, then get on a 90 minute bus to get to school. By the time I'm there, my clothes are usually soaked. Oh and to top it off, I have to wear a suit. So you could have it worse off.

Sorry, I thought I did, though looking back at it I only indented it.
Yeah, you do have it worse off than me. Your journey is much longer than mine.
Reply 5
Original post by NatKH
Hey, I'm in year 13 doing my A Levels. I am studying Computer Science, Maths and Physics. I only picked Maths and Physics so that they would support my Computer Science. I'm fine with Maths but Physics is a struggle for me. I want to go into Game Development so I keep telling myself that it's just one more year until I can stop doing the subjects I have to do and do the subject I'm interested in. I can absolutely see where you're coming from. What did you like about Computer Science to begin with? What made you want to pursue it as a career?

I enjoyed video games a lot, which introduced me to the idea of coding! I loved the thought of being able to make my own stuff, and I loved it Comp Sci at GCSE.
Reply 6
Original post by angrypoliceman
4hrs of commuting daily and you expected to keep sane? - u gotta move back to the other sixth form, its not good for u staying over there clearly. no friends, who cares? -you can make more. don't like the subject combination-not the end of the world since right now youre doubting CS

Thanks for your reply.
At the time, it seemed manageable- I was told the traveling would give me time to work on the bus (now I'm wiser and see it's almost impossible).
I don't think they'll let me move back again. They were on different exam boards and we're on the first half term break now.
Reply 7
man up
Reply 8
I enjoyed video games a lot, which introduced me to the idea of coding! I loved the thought of being able to make my own stuff, and I loved it Comp Sci at GCSE.

I enjoyed the coding as well and went to find a Sixth Form that taught Computer Science as an A Level because the school I did my GCSEs at didn't. Maybe Computer Science isn't the course you wanted to do and instead Software Engineering? Game Programming/Development? Something heavily based on code instead of theory. However, if you're dead set on English Lit then I would go pursue that career instead. I'm sure that the college will provide financial help.
Reply 9
Original post by NatKH
I enjoyed the coding as well and went to find a Sixth Form that taught Computer Science as an A Level because the school I did my GCSEs at didn't. Maybe Computer Science isn't the course you wanted to do and instead Software Engineering? Game Programming/Development? Something heavily based on code instead of theory. However, if you're dead set on English Lit then I would go pursue that career instead. I'm sure that the college will provide financial help.

Yeah Software Engineering was something I was looking at, though everywhere I've seen requires Maths. I guess I'm just finding it hard to enjoy Maths and Computing because of the Computing teacher thing. I'm thinking of maybe trying to suck it up and deal with it till Christmas break, and then drop one of them if things haven't gotten any better.

Thanks for such a helpful reply :smile:
Honest answer?

This is a horrendous situation to be in and honestly I do feel for you.
BUT
These are situations that to me don't seem too bad, I had many long commuting times and it made me a better person, unfortunately things don't go our way in life sometimes and theres really nothing you can do about it. At Uni, (if you decide to go) you are going to come across situations that are a lot like the one you are describing, un helpful tutors, boring lessons, un enthusiastic lectures and so on.

The thing is, this situation now, WILL and I guarantee you this, make you a stronger and more rounded person, so my advice would be, knuckle down, study hard, focus on yourself and get the hell out of there as quickly as you can in the end.

You'll look back on this in a few years as a good decision I promise you.
I didn't read the whole lot because like others not paragraphed.

But I got the gist of it. I wish you the best of luck
Honest answer?

This is a horrendous situation to be in and honestly I do feel for you.
BUT
These are situations that to me don't seem too bad, I had many long commuting times and it made me a better person, unfortunately things don't go our way in life sometimes and theres really nothing you can do about it. At Uni, (if you decide to go) you are going to come across situations that are a lot like the one you are describing, un helpful tutors, boring lessons, un enthusiastic lectures and so on.

The thing is, this situation now, WILL and I guarantee you this, make you a stronger and more rounded person, so my advice would be, knuckle down, study hard, focus on yourself and get the hell out of there as quickly as you can in the end.

You'll look back on this in a few years as a good decision I promise you.
I didn't read the whole lot because like others not paragraphed.

But I got the gist of it. I wish you the best of luck

Thanks! Yeah sorry about the paragraphing, I didn't realize I had to double enter to separate them.
Thank you so much for this post- it really made me feel better.
I posted this at a low point to be honest; after reading everyone's replies I'm feeling a bit more in control.
I'm going to put up with it until the end of the year, I think, and if it's not any better I'm going to make a decision then.
Thanks again for your kind response.
I suggest to if you can move back to your old sixth form however if you can't then I suggest by taking some time out for yourself to relieve your mind and listen to calm music for at least 30 minutes without thinking about stressful during the weekends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending