The Student Room Group

How are your GCSEs going so far?

Poll

How are your GCSEs going so far?

It's half term, finally! Or even halfway through or the end for some of you... Six weeks into the school year, how are your GCSEs going? Any subjects you're finding particularly easy or hard? Anyone wish they'd picked different ones yet?

Whether you're in year 10 or 11, share how you're doing and how you want to improve (or how you have improved if it would help other people) here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think I'm doing pretty well on some subjects. However, not so well on others and i currently regret taking them. But I'm not going to let that stop me from thriving and achieving high grades
Reply 2
Maths was a bit daunting, having to go back to it after many years away. I'm settling down now, so hopefully it will get easier. The first term is always the hardest in a new subject.
Original post by Badgirl55
I think I'm doing pretty well on some subjects. However, not so well on others and i currently regret taking them. But I'm not going to let that stop me from thriving and achieving high grades

This is such a good attitude to have :smile: hopefully in time you'll grow to like some of your others too! But sure you'll do well regardless- remember there's always people here on TSR around to help, whatever the subject.

Original post by Purdy7
Maths was a bit daunting, having to go back to it after many years away. I'm settling down now, so hopefully it will get easier. The first term is always the hardest in a new subject.

That I can imagine if you've not done it in a while! I'm finding the same at the minute, just started uni after a three year break since school and I didn't do either of my subjects for A level stupidly. Are you a mature student then? :smile:
Reply 4
Yes a mature student, which is easier in some ways but harder in others.
Original post by Purdy7
Yes a mature student, which is easier in some ways but harder in others.

That I can imagine! Have a look over in the Mature Students forum if you haven't already, there's loads of us in there of all ages :smile:
Year 11 here who is finding Maths near impossible. Everything else is going okay, just the amount of content that I need to revise is a bit daunting.
I'm targeted grade 7s and 8s in my subjects and I'm on track except chemistry my teacher's way of teaching does not work for me and I just can't understand it
Original post by Ellie1718
Year 11 here who is finding Maths near impossible. Everything else is going okay, just the amount of content that I need to revise is a bit daunting.

What is it about maths that you find difficult? I think what I'd have to suggest is going back to the absolute basics and making sure you understand them, then picking a topic a week (for example) and doing as many questions as you possibly can on it. There is absolutely loads to cover, a little bit at a time and you'll get there though. You always have TSR to help too when you're struggling with something specific :smile:

Original post by msidhu
I'm targeted grade 7s and 8s in my subjects and I'm on track except chemistry my teacher's way of teaching does not work for me and I just can't understand it

That's great! Yeah I was the same with chemistry, I taught myself in the end and came out with an a but why I then decided it was a good idea to take it for AS is beyond me :lol: you have time so hopefully it'll come together in the end :smile:
Original post by furryface12
That's great! Yeah I was the same with chemistry, I taught myself in the end and came out with an a but why I then decided it was a good idea to take it for AS is beyond me :lol: you have time so hopefully it'll come together in the end :smile:

Yeah I have decided to teach myself chemistry right from the basics hopefully I'll learn it in time for my GCSEs next year :smile: but in sure I won't take chemistry for AS 😂
I was suppose to do AS levels but haven't even touched the books yet. Thanks for the reminder.
I just naturally have always found maths difficult and have never been lucky teacher-wise. Especially, this year my teacher is awful and I'm just trying to teach myself. One of the main problems is that I have no confidence whatsoever and immediately begin to panic and can't think straight, this probably isn't helped by my teaching telling us that we are going to fail. Also, I found the word problems so difficult to understand, I don't even know what they are asking!
Original post by msidhu
Yeah I have decided to teach myself chemistry right from the basics hopefully I'll learn it in time for my GCSEs next year :smile: but in sure I won't take chemistry for AS 😂

You'll do it, you have time! And you have more sense than me there at least, don't blame you :lol:

Original post by esrever
I was suppose to do AS levels but haven't even touched the books yet. Thanks for the reminder.

Which ones do you want to do? :smile:

Original post by Ellie1718
I just naturally have always found maths difficult and have never been lucky teacher-wise. Especially, this year my teacher is awful and I'm just trying to teach myself. One of the main problems is that I have no confidence whatsoever and immediately begin to panic and can't think straight, this probably isn't helped by my teaching telling us that we are going to fail. Also, I found the word problems so difficult to understand, I don't even know what they are asking!

Ah :s-smilie: I can definitely understand that. Is there another maths teacher you could ask for help, or even a friend if they understand it more than you? Even better if you're good at a subject they're struggling with, you can help each other. There is loads of stuff online too- TSR, examsolutions and khanacademy on youtube, GCSE bitesize, mathswatch if your school subscribes to it, the CGP books are good too. But yeah, start with the very basics and stuff you understand and build on it slowly :smile: you can do it!

Edit: for the word problems, I used to turn them into numbers and make notes as o went through if that makes sense? So for example if a question starts with one person has six apples and two people have five, then I'd write 1x6 + 2x5 = 16 apples total, and then go on to the rest of the question. It does take a lot of practice though- again start with the easy ones and go from there. Make sure your process is clear too, so even if you don't get to the end of the question you should get some marks. Hope that makes some sort of sense!
(edited 6 years ago)
You'll do it, you have time! And you have more sense than me there at least, don't blame you :lol:

Ah :s-smilie: I can definitely understand that. Is there another maths teacher you could ask for help, or even a friend if they understand it more than you? Even better if you're good at a subject they're struggling with, you can help each other. There is loads of stuff online too- TSR, examsolutions and khanacademy on youtube, GCSE bitesize, mathswatch if your school subscribes to it, the CGP books are good too. But yeah, start with the very basics and stuff you understand and build on it slowly :smile: you can do it!

Edit: for the word problems, I used to turn them into numbers and make notes as o went through if that makes sense? So for example if a question starts with one person has six apples and two people have five, then I'd write 1x6 + 2x5 = 16 apples total, and then go on to the rest of the question. It does take a lot of practice though- again start with the easy ones and go from there. Make sure your process is clear too, so even if you don't get to the end of the question you should get some marks. Hope that makes some sort of sense!

Yes, that makes sense thank you!
Not that bad i suppose.It is just that i have no idea how to revise...All i literally do is sit and read a textbook.But for certain subjects like maths you can't do that so i have decided on sticking with practice questions for maths.But these textbooks are getting kind of boring so I need a change but mindmaps and those kind of stuff don't do the trick for me.

Right now i am preparing my speaking and listening but I don't even know what topic to choose?:^_^::^_^:
So all in all not very good
Original post by Made to Ace
Not that bad i suppose.It is just that i have no idea how to revise...All i literally do is sit and read a textbook.But for certain subjects like maths you can't do that so i have decided on sticking with practice questions for maths.But these textbooks are getting kind of boring so I need a change but mindmaps and those kind of stuff don't do the trick for me.

Right now i am preparing my speaking and listening but I don't even know what topic to choose?:^_^::^_^:

Is that a speaking and listening for English or a foreign language??
Mine are going quite well. In my mocks I got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's which I'm pretty happy with. I'm working a lot harder than I was in year 10 but I'm enjoying it and I'm really excited for starting sixth form next year. Only negative is English (both Language and Literature - my mock grade 6's) as it's just so abstract and difficult. I thrive in science and maths but English is pretty awful. I'm trying my best though :biggrin:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science

Last year I procrastinated so much that I had to do 7 entire IGCSEs in 2.5 months :frown:. I just can't help it though. It's so boring.
Reply 18
My GCSE'S are going alright, I enjoy French, Maths and Single Science (even though its boring at times.. I used to enjoy Science before but I moved down and my teacher is really bad.

The downside are Geography. Science and English, because I have no teacher for Geography, Science is abysmal, my teacher is unable to teach the class to a good degree and English my teacher just give us a text analyses it and we just answer questions and write paragraphs. For the end of term English assessment majority of the class got 8/20, highest was 13/20. That's extremely bad...
Original post by Made to Ace

I used to write notes a lot from the textbook and things like that, it's more interesting and you take it in better :smile: then you can go back and highlight, rewrite them etc if you want to later or make flashcards or something. Do you have ant guidance on what sort of thing your speaking needs to be about?

Original post by Nikey
Mine are going quite well. In my mocks I got 4 9's, 2 8's, 1 7 and 2 6's which I'm pretty happy with. I'm working a lot harder than I was in year 10 but I'm enjoying it and I'm really excited for starting sixth form next year. Only negative is English (both Language and Literature - my mock grade 6's) as it's just so abstract and difficult. I thrive in science and maths but English is pretty awful. I'm trying my best though :biggrin:

They're really impressive mock results! Talk to your teacher about what you need to focus on to improve your English but yeah, I always had the same problem though. Trying your best us great, keep it up! :smile:

Original post by esrever
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science

Last year I procrastinated so much that I had to do 7 entire IGCSEs in 2.5 months :frown:. I just can't help it though. It's so boring.

They're good subjects! Ah :/ it is better to spread them out a little bit if you can, if only for your own sanity. Try an hour a day or something and gradually work upwards, some structure might help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest