The Student Room Group

Madz Journey to A*A*A*A*A 2017/2018

Madz Study Blog

Hi guys. This is my blog where I will be keeping a record of my progress through AS all the way through to the final day of my A-levels as well as University visits and applications etc . I finally decided to create one blog because I wanted to keep a track of my progress and decided sharing it with the community here would be a good idea because I could get awesome advice from some of the nerdy people here :biggrin:

Grades
Let's start off with my GCSEs. I got a 9, 5A*, 3As and 2Bs along with a Distinction*

Spoiler

Moving on, I am currently doing 5 A-levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology (yes I know, I am an idiot but yolo :p: I had to take the risk). I did decide to take 3 A-levels but I wasn't sure which path I wanted to take going into University and taking these 5, I think I have all the options open. Also, apart from taking 5, I should hopefully be sitting Maths by the end of this year as our teacher is making us finish the entire Maths course by Easter so I will hopefully be doing 4 next year which should be easier.

I am hopefully expecting the following predicted grades by the end of this year.
Maths - A* (hopefully final grade as well)
Further Maths - (will start doing it next year)
Physics - A (working towards an A*)
Chemistry - A*
Biology - A*

Targets
I plan on applying for Medicine and I will be visiting universities during the next few months. My main aim is to study at Oxford and I know that my GCSEs aren't great but if I do get extremely high BMAT score, I will take the risk of applying there. Other than Oxford, I am looking at Exeter, UCL, Imperial, Barts and Kings. I want to stay in the south or near London hopefully hence why I am not applying to universities up north.

Assessments
I will keep a list of scores which I receive in my mocks and tests so I can look at the progress I am making and the topics I am struggling in.

Spoiler

Other than this, I hope to keep this blog updated everyday but it might not be possible due to the high volume of work so sometimes there might be 1 or 2 detailed posts per week.

If you want to stay in touch, make sure to let me know and I will tag you. Otherwise, have fun reading people :biggrin:

Tagged Members

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

good luck!!
what made you wanna do med?
Original post by mez_merising
what made you wanna do med?

Thanks and well, I have family members who are all into the field of medicine. My mum, sister and aunts are all doctors so I guess I was exposed to the field from a very young age. However, I don't think working in a hospital all day is my type of work either so I plan on joining the Navy as a medical officer later in life.
If you're keen on joining the army, you can get a 'free ride' through Uni + a dozen other perks by registering your interest with your local Army recruitment Agency.
Medicine Scheme ( http://www.army.mod.uk/join/38414.aspx#38414 ) You'll be obliged to work for 4 years with the army once you've graduated and got your GMC License.
Reply 5
Well done so far . Lets work together ro do well in our exams . Here is my post please check it out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5010456
Original post by Ishyboi_5169
If you're keen on joining the army, you can get a 'free ride' through Uni + a dozen other perks by registering your interest with your local Army recruitment Agency.
Medicine Scheme ( http://www.army.mod.uk/join/38414.aspx#38414 ) You'll be obliged to work for 4 years with the army once you've graduated and got your GMC License.

I have talked to the local Army careers centre and they did tell me about this and hopefully I will apply for it. Although, my dad who is a retired Major and served in the REME did tell me that there is a lot of competition and selection is highly competitive.
Reply 7
You won't know your BMAT mark when applying to Oxford because they only accept November BMAT. Your GCSEs are good, but for Oxford, you'd ideally need at least 9 A*s. You genuinely need to be hitting 7s in the BMAT to stand a chance, and that is very difficult lol. If you manage to get the grades your aiming for at AS/A level, you should really consider Cambridge instead. Oxford is a MASSIVE risk.
Original post by mosam00
You won't know your BMAT mark when applying to Oxford because they only accept November BMAT. Your GCSEs are good, but for Oxford, you'd ideally need at least 9 A*s. You genuinely need to be hitting 7s in the BMAT to stand a chance, and that is very difficult lol. If you manage to get the grades your aiming for at AS/A level, you should really consider Cambridge instead. Oxford is a MASSIVE risk.

Cambridge is one option too but I would really like to go to Oxford. I didn't know they only accepted November BMAT so I guess it is a massive risk. I still have 1 year to decide so I might rethink and evaluate other options really after visiting the different colleges.

Original post by K1NGZ
Well done so far . Lets work together ro do well in our exams . Here is my post please check it out https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5010456

Will do :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
5 A-levels? Wow! I'll end up with 5 by the time I leave college (Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science), but I did some early so at no point have I ever been studying more than 4 at once.

How's the workload? Also, since you're clearly good at maths, are you doing stuff like the Senior Maths Challenge or British Mathematics Olympiad?
Original post by TheMindGarage
5 A-levels? Wow! I'll end up with 5 by the time I leave college (Maths, FM, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science), but I did some early so at no point have I ever been studying more than 4 at once.

How's the workload? Also, since you're clearly good at maths, are you doing stuff like the Senior Maths Challenge or British Mathematics Olympiad?

I'm not really that good at Maths xD I can just solve questions. We are doing the Senior UKMT in November and I think if you get the gold you get to the British Olympiad. Not sure how it works but I am hoping for a gold. Sadly though, I seem to get a silver every year because I end up flopping on the harder 16-25 questions.
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
I'm not really that good at Maths xD I can just solve questions. We are doing the Senior UKMT in November and I think if you get the gold you get to the British Olympiad. Not sure how it works but I am hoping for a gold. Sadly though, I seem to get a silver every year because I end up flopping on the harder 16-25 questions.

The requirement for the Olympiad is top 1000 which is usually higher than the Gold requirement (I think it tends to be in the region of 105 out of 125). There is also the Senior Kangaroo which is easier to get into.

The SMC questions are quite different to A-level questions. Whereas many A-level questions can be solved by "plug-and-chug" (making plenty of use of the calculator's functions to check answers and be super-confident), the SMC questions usually revolve around spotting a certain trick (for example, expressing something as the difference of two squares). If you see the trick it takes 30 seconds; if you don't see it, it takes you 15 minutes.
Reply 12
Cambridge is one option too but I would really like to go to Oxford. I didn't know they only accepted November BMAT so I guess it is a massive risk. I still have 1 year to decide so I might rethink and evaluate other options really after visiting the different colleges.

Will do :smile:

At the open day they said the reason why they don't use September BMAT is because it's hard to compare with November right now, so they may still change their policy but I don't think they'll change this by next year. Out of interest, why do you prefer Oxford to Cambridge so much?
The requirement for the Olympiad is top 1000 which is usually higher than the Gold requirement (I think it tends to be in the region of 105 out of 125). There is also the Senior Kangaroo which is easier to get into.

The SMC questions are quite different to A-level questions. Whereas many A-level questions can be solved by "plug-and-chug" (making plenty of use of the calculator's functions to check answers and be super-confident), the SMC questions usually revolve around spotting a certain trick (for example, expressing something as the difference of two squares). If you see the trick it takes 30 seconds; if you don't see it, it takes you 15 minutes.

Yeah, our teacher did tell us about there being high requirements. He doesn't want us to get into Kangaroo though because he thinks it's a waste of time. Nevertheless, I intend to practice loads of past questions so I can get as much practice in before the exam as possible.

Original post by mosam00
At the open day they said the reason why they don't use September BMAT is because it's hard to compare with November right now, so they may still change their policy but I don't think they'll change this by next year. Out of interest, why do you prefer Oxford to Cambridge so much?

I think it's just the location and everyone fantasises about Oxford. I like the area of Oxford more than Cambridge. There are a lot more things to do over there I guess and since I live in Reading, it is quite close to my home and I would rather stay at home. Cambridge though is quite far from here and I could commute everyday. I also met with a few oxford and cambridge med students and I just liked how the oxonions were talking about life compared to cambridge.
(edited 6 years ago)
are you an arab by any chance as you took gcse arabic?
Yeah, our teacher did tell us about there being high requirements. He doesn't want us to get into Kangaroo though because he thinks it's a waste of time. Nevertheless, I intend to practice loads of past questions so I can get as much practice in before the exam as possible.

I've never taken Kangaroo so I'm not familiar with the questions, but restricting the answers to integers between 0 and 999 seems like a pretty limited way to assess ability. Good luck!
I've never taken Kangaroo so I'm not familiar with the questions, but restricting the answers to integers between 0 and 999 seems like a pretty limited way to assess ability. Good luck!

I guess... it's just different styles. Thank you :biggrin:

Original post by lion-tiger
are you an arab by any chance as you took gcse arabic?

I am Asian but I learnt Arabic at home.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17

I think it's just the location and everyone fantasises about Oxford. I like the area of Oxford more than Cambridge. There are a lot more things to do over there I guess and since I live in Reading, it is quite close to my home and I would rather stay at home. Cambridge though is quite far from here and I could commute everyday. I also met with a few oxford and cambridge med students and I just liked how the oxonions were talking about life compared to cambridge.

Eh fair enough lol, but I think there are a fair number of people who fantasise about Cambridge instead of Oxford as well lol. I like both, I won't lie, I slightly preferred Cambridge based off how it looks lol, I really liked the river going through the middle of the city, but in the end I just picked the one I have a slightly better chance at (Oxford).
Original post by mosam00
Eh fair enough lol, but I think there are a fair number of people who fantasise about Cambridge instead of Oxford as well lol. I like both, I won't lie, I slightly preferred Cambridge based off how it looks lol, I really liked the river going through the middle of the city, but in the end I just picked the one I have a slightly better chance at (Oxford).

Are you currently studying at Oxford or have you applied to Oxford?
Reply 19
Are you currently studying at Oxford or have you applied to Oxford?

I applied to Oxford this year, but idek if I'll get an interview cuz of the BMAT lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending