The Student Room Group

My braces are making me go mad!!!!

Hi

I just got my braces 3 days ago I know that's a blink of an eye compared to loads of people. But I don't think I can hack this everything I eat feels like concrete. Constant pain all the time (despite painkillers). All I can think of is how I'm going to explain to my orthodontist why I want them off. I know people will say you will get used to it and think of the end result. But honestly, I think I may be taking a sledgehammer to smash a nut on this one. I do have quite an overbite but to fully correct it would take 3 years including jaw surgery. My teeth are quite straight and when I told people in my class I was getting braces no one thought I needed them. This all seems a bit hopeless. So I'm just thinking I'm gonna give myself a month with these on and if I feel the same way I will request to have them off. This time period will also breach into when I'm at uni (fingers crossed!) and it would have an impact what should be the best times of my life. I'm just asking am I justified in feeling this way?
Original post by quickmagma
Hi

I just got my braces 3 days ago I know that's a blink of an eye compared to loads of people. But I don't think I can hack this everything I eat feels like concrete. Constant pain all the time (despite painkillers). All I can think of is how I'm going to explain to my orthodontist why I want them off. I know people will say you will get used to it and think of the end result. But honestly, I think I may be taking a sledgehammer to smash a nut on this one. I do have quite an overbite but to fully correct it would take 3 years including jaw surgery. My teeth are quite straight and when I told people in my class I was getting braces no one thought I needed them. This all seems a bit hopeless. So I'm just thinking I'm gonna give myself a month with these on and if I feel the same way I will request to have them off. This time period will also breach into when I'm at uni (fingers crossed!) and it would have an impact what should be the best times of my life. I'm just asking am I justified in feeling this way?

They usually feel painful when you first get them but it doesn’t last too long because your teeth are just adjusting to them. It’ll be gone in a week or two. I had my braces for a year and a half and it was worth it :smile:
When I first had my braces put on it hurt for approximately 5 days (although I had my top and bottom braces put on seperately so it may not have hurt as much). It hurst for a couple of day after you've had them tightened as well but not as badly. Make sure you keep taking your painkillers, prefereably before the pain starts. Also, if they are rubbing use your brace wax. Food wise anything that is soft is excellent. Keep going, I promise you the pain will be gone in a couple of days! :smile: I'm currently in my 4th year at uni and have to go back home for my appointments, although it's not too bad as I only live 1hr away.
I felt exactly the same way, if I had it my own way I would have gone back to my orthodontist to tell her to take these deathtraps off my teeth but my mum wouldn't let me! I know you won't believe it now but it gets a lot better even if the pain is unbearable right now, I lived off soup and mashed potato and ice cream for the first week but now I'm eating basically everything. its totally justifiable feeling that way!! hope it gets better soon!
This makes me nervous, I am going to the Orthodontist next week for an appointment after being referred. My teeth are not that bad and my dentist said if I had braces it would be for more of an aesthetic thing rather than functional. The only bit of my teeth that I don't like is one wretched tooth that sticks out a bit. I am a little conscious of it and in photos I will not smile with my teeth and keep my lips sealed otherwise it sticks out a little. Is the pain really awful and how long is the minimum they are on for?
Reply 5
Original post by OwlOfFire
This makes me nervous, I am going to the Orthodontist next week for an appointment after being referred. My teeth are not that bad and my dentist said if I had braces it would be for more of an aesthetic thing rather than functional. The only bit of my teeth that I don't like is one wretched tooth that sticks out a bit. I am a little conscious of it and in photos I will not smile with my teeth and keep my lips sealed otherwise it sticks out a little. Is the pain really awful and how long is the minimum they are on for?

How painful they are depends on:
How sensitive your gums are, your pain tolerance and how much things need to move.
Honestly don't worry just get some bonjella, painkillers and get some of your favourite soups, smoothies etc in (if you like porridge get some oats as well) because at least for the first day you'll not want to eat anything hard.
Honestly though the cost of getting braces will probably be the most painful aspect of the process lol
Original post by Fujoshi
How painful they are depends on:
How sensitive your gums are, your pain tolerance and how much things need to move.
Honestly don't worry just get some bonjella, painkillers and get some of your favourite soups, smoothies etc in (if you like porridge get some oats as well) because at least for the first day you'll not want to eat anything hard.
Honestly though the cost of getting braces will probably be the most painful aspect of the process lol

Thanks, I am 17 so hopefully they will be on before my 18th Birthday. After that I don't know if I have to pay for my braces appointments if I had them fitted prior to being 18.
Original post by OwlOfFire
Thanks, I am 17 so hopefully they will be on before my 18th Birthday. After that I don't know if I have to pay for my braces appointments if I had them fitted prior to being 18.

If you're going via the NHS as long as your referal appointment is before your 18th birthday everything after that is free. I had my referal just before I was 18 and got my braces at 21 and mine were completely free! :smile:
Reply 8
Hi

Yur pain should subside after a week or two.

So, only eat soft food (e.g sandwitches) and soup if you dont want to worsen your pain.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Literally, just wait a little bit. The pain goes away very quickly and they sort of become part of your mouth :smile:
Thank you for all the replies I will admit the worst is gone after the first 3 days. But my opinion has not altered that much. My only thought is the diet I am on now I know its a lot healthier and now I snack less and drink way less sugary stuff. But I have to now be very conscious of my diet I never used to be and I did not know how much of a sweet tooth I had. I just think its a lot of work and restriction for my appearance which I have never been overly fussed by (not saying I don't take care of myself and have a healthy weight and do sport etc). But I will admit the worst is over. I'm doing well at the moment with my diet and all that stuff but I just worry that I will slip back into my old habits (drinking fizzy drinks and sugary foods and all that). Kind of protecting myself from myself if you will. I would rather just be carefree again. I know I sound like a bit of a sap and someone who gives up I am just thinking rationally as what I'm doing directly contradicts my lifestyle how long can I keep this up. Once again thank you for all your replies.
Hi

Just wait a while. After a week or two, the pain should stop. Soon you won't even realise you have them on... until a friend offers you a chewy sweet :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest