The Student Room Group

Gcse 2018 maths

Hi, i bought a workbook for my edexcel 9-1 exams for 2018. The regular cgp book (not workbook) doesnt go into enough detail to get to grade 8/9. Im certain i have the correct revision books but im still struggling to answer the hard questions. Help would be appreciated, thanks
I assume you're talking about the edexcel grade 9 specific workbook?
If you have that one then yes you're probably fine in terms of resources(it's pretty much all I used) and I'm sure your school will provide many practice questions etc.

Don't worry about not being able to answer every question; in the workbook I could probably answer about 2-3/5 of every questions given because they were so difficult- they have to be in order to stretch even pupils targeting a grade 9. Often the questions are even ridiculous or convoluted but it's just a strategy to try and get you to practice weird and difficult questions with hard verbal reasoning etc. If you could answer all the questions already then what would be the point in even using it as practice to get better?

Most of getting better at answering difficult questions comes down to practice. Otherwise, just be logical and decipher the question. Think: what different topics have I learnt that can be applied to the question? Often you'll have to try different methods of working an answer out (like trial and error with methods, really) but this is natural and you will also become faster at selecting the right method with practice.

Most of all, you have to be confident in what you're doing. Work out every answer as if you're a mathematical genius, use every method as if you know it's the right one, attempt every question like you know exactly what you're doing and you have more chance of actually getting the right answer.

I got a grade 9 in maths
Reply 2
Original post by michael08
Hi, i bought a workbook for my edexcel 9-1 exams for 2018. The regular cgp book (not workbook) doesnt go into enough detail to get to grade 8/9. Im certain i have the correct revision books but im still struggling to answer the hard questions. Help would be appreciated, thanks

Funnily enough, I solely used the CGP edexcel maths guide and managed to answer nearly every question on that grade 9 textbook (barring one or two 🙈)
and I ended up with a grade 9 in the final exams.

Use the CGP book, and if you want, mathsgenie (for extra aid and topic-based papers).
Original post by michael08

if you're struggling with a particular question don't be afraid to pop over to our maths forum.
Hi
These available resources out there are not perfect for everyone. Not to worry if you can’t answer all of the questions in one book. Try looking for different explanations from different books or resources. What worked for me was watching online videos and have online tutor explained to me in clear and concise manner so I don’t have to spend 2 hours looking for particular question.
Reply 5
Have a look on You Tube for tutorials, BBC Bitesize, Crobett Maths online etc. Use different resources until you find one that works for you. I'm struggling with the maths books, some are so brief and the colour just gives me sensory overload.

The books are good for revision, but not necessarily for learning the subject.
Reply 6
Original post by niamh787
I assume you're talking about the edexcel grade 9 specific workbook?
If you have that one then yes you're probably fine in terms of resources(it's pretty much all I used) and I'm sure your school will provide many practice questions etc.

Don't worry about not being able to answer every question; in the workbook I could probably answer about 2-3/5 of every questions given because they were so difficult- they have to be in order to stretch even pupils targeting a grade 9. Often the questions are even ridiculous or convoluted but it's just a strategy to try and get you to practice weird and difficult questions with hard verbal reasoning etc. If you could answer all the questions already then what would be the point in even using it as practice to get better?

Most of getting better at answering difficult questions comes down to practice. Otherwise, just be logical and decipher the question. Think: what different topics have I learnt that can be applied to the question? Often you'll have to try different methods of working an answer out (like trial and error with methods, really) but this is natural and you will also become faster at selecting the right method with practice.

Most of all, you have to be confident in what you're doing. Work out every answer as if you're a mathematical genius, use every method as if you know it's the right one, attempt every question like you know exactly what you're doing and you have more chance of actually getting the right answer.

I got a grade 9 in maths

Thanks, that really helped niamh787 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest