The Student Room Group

Integration by Substitution Hint

Hey,

Can anyone give me a hint on how to integrate

ex1e2x \int \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}} . So far I've only come up with the fact that exe^x and 1e2x\sqrt{1-e^{2x}} are the legs of a right angled triangle with hypotenuse of length 1...
Reply 1
Original post by FXLander
Hey,

Can anyone give me a hint on how to integrate

ex1e2x \int \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}} . So far I've only come up with the fact that exe^x and 1e2x\sqrt{1-e^{2x}} are the legs of a right angled triangle with hypotenuse of length 1...

Have you tried any substitutions?
i think a trig substitution for ex would work...
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek
Have you tried any substitutions?

I tried substituting tanθ=ex1e2x\tan \theta = \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}} since I drew the right triangle I was referring to, but I am not sure how to get rid of the dx when I do this...
Reply 4
I tried substituting tanθ=ex1e2x\tan \theta = \frac{e^x}{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}} since I drew the right triangle I was referring to, but I am not sure how to get rid of the dx when I do this...

You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Try the substitution that the bear gave you. With practice this will feel like an "obvious" substitution.

EDIT : i.e. I mean u=exu=e^x (this sub will lead to a standard/formula book integral)
(edited 6 years ago)

use a different trig function for e^x. consider trig identities.
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Try the substitution that the bear gave you. With practice this will feel like an "obvious" substitution.

EDIT : i.e. I mean u=exu=e^x

After doing the substitution I got du1u2 \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} which I then evaluated to 1e2xex\frac{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}}{e^x} , however I am not sure whether this is correct...
Reply 7
After doing the substitution I got du1u2 \int \frac{du}{\sqrt{1-u^2}} which I then evaluated to 1e2xex\frac{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}}{e^x} , however I am not sure whether this is correct...

For:

11u2du, \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{ \sqrt{1-u^{2}} } \, du,

look up a table of inverse trigonometric derrivatives.

Quick Reply

Latest