The Student Room Group

What jobs are there??

What jobs are actually available 'out there'??

Ive spent 16 years working in retail, and im sick to the back teeth of it. I work 32hrs at minimum wage to be spoken too and treated like dirt.
Trouble is, there doesn't seem to be anything out there.

Its all either more retail (same rubbish different place), call centers (but I get stressed speaking on phones), care work (yeah not happening) or stuff that needs tons of qualifications, of which I only have a couple of gcse's from 1999!
What else is there, or am I resigned to working part time, minimum wage for the rest of my life?!
Reply 1
Original post by Johnsheppard99

Ive spent 16 years working in retail, and im sick to the back teeth of it. I work 32hrs at minimum wage to be spoken too and treated like dirt.

Its all either more retail (same rubbish different place), call centers (but I get stressed speaking on phones), care work (yeah not happening) or stuff that needs tons of qualifications, of which I only have a couple of gcse's from 1999!
What else is there, or am I resigned to working part time, minimum wage for the rest of my life?!

Indeed Jobs have some good jobs being offered out all the time so you should check on there, or perhaps hand out your CV to several places and wait on a reply.

P.S. Call centres have very good pay :wink:

Join your local town centre job agencies, they literally have many warehouse operative, picker, packer jobs available that need many staff.

You can work at a call centre, the pay is decent and you can work your way up.

Perhaps try financial planning? Do a financial planning certificate, do voluntary work and then apply to financial planning jobs.

Also there are programming jobs such as development that don't require a degree or experience, just a couple of solid projects:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4761776

Also you could do IT certifications (N+, CCNA/A+, MCSA etc), get some voluntary experience, then shoot for those call centre, networking jobs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Jobs aren't going to come find you. Get googling. Visit agencies. Sign up on job sites. Get more education. Go self-employed.

You've said what you don't want to do, but what would you like to do?
Reply 4
Job centre online and indeed
Admin work, receptionist, PA? Look online, hand your CV out. You have to go searching for them.

I know a lot of people who used to work in hospitality and retail (including myself!) and we have transitioned into happy in office jobs because it's less demanding (well that's in my personal opinion and professional experience) and the pay is also slightly better. :smile:

I'd say visit your local recruitment agencies (as that's how I got my first office job) or if that doesn't wok you could always volunteer in an office based role in your spare time.
There is also warehouse work (some people prefer this as there is no customer interaction) or if you prefer face to face with customers, you could always work in a bar or a restaurant instead - the pay can be better too because it includes tips! :biggrin:

The world is your oyster as they say. :yes:
I don't have any qualifications or experience to do admin and receptionist jobs etc. Nowhere near me takes CV's..apparently 'everythings online'..

Already looked on indeed, the job center site wont let me access it as says all my details are wrong. All thats around ive already mentioned, more retail, care work or call centers!

As for what id like to do, I have no idea, but preferably something where I no longer have to deal with idiots, sorry customers, directly..
Im currently 'under investigation' now in work after I stood up to a customer last week who was belittling me and insulting me. They are lucky I only shouted at them..
I don't have any qualifications or experience to do admin and receptionist jobs etc. Nowhere near me takes CV's..apparently 'everythings online'..

Already looked on indeed, the job center site wont let me access it as says all my details are wrong. All thats around ive already mentioned, more retail, care work or call centers!

As for what id like to do, I have no idea, but preferably something where I no longer have to deal with idiots, sorry customers, directly..
Im currently 'under investigation' now in work after I stood up to a customer last week who was belittling me and insulting me. They are lucky I only shouted at them..

There are plenty of jobs in administration and I lot of people I work with don't (or didn't) have any qualifications even experience but despite that, they were still taken on. I didn't have any experience when I got my first office job, so it's well worth a try.

Instead of actually going into agencies, I'd say email them directly to see if they have any suitable jobs that are available in your area - that's what I did. Probable what you don't ask, you don't get situation really.

Seem as though you already work in retail and you don't like working face to face with customers, have you considered transferring into the stockroom?
Original post by BritishGirl

Seem as though you already work in retail and you don't like working face to face with customers, have you considered transferring into the stockroom?

Have literally only just been told about this reply in a notification!
We don't have a stockroom. They keep everything on what they call 'top stock'..any stock we have is kept on the top shelves of the units on the shop floor.
The tiny warehouse we do have, they only have one person working in it and stock is not kept in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending