The Student Room Group

Simple Harmonic Motion

This is supposed to be a physics question, But maybe the Mathematicians could help out.

The height of the water on a beach can be approximated as simple harmonic motion with a period of 12hours. If the mean water height is 3.5m, the amplitude of the tide is 1.6m, and `high water' occurs at 7am one day, what would you predict the height of the water to be at 11am?

I used the equation, x=Acos(w)tx=Acos(w)t But couldnt get the Answer
w is angular frequency

Scroll to see replies

Your equation should include a constant offset for the (given) mean water height. If that doesn’t fix it please post your working.
Reply 2
Can u post ur working out? Its the easiest way to see where u made a mistake so we can work to fix it.
Reply 3
Is t not supposed to be inside the bracket next to w?
Reply 4
Original post by Shaanv
Can u post ur working out? Its the easiest way to see where u made a mistake so we can work to fix it.

Sorry for late reply, i hadnt seen a notification so i thought no one replied to the post.

my working:

Amplitude =1.6
Time Period=12hours*3600(to convert to seconds)
time elapsed=4 hours

x=Acos(2pi/T)t
x=1.6cos(2pi/(12*3600)* (4*3600)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by H3n
Is t not supposed to be inside the bracket next to w?

I dont think so, but ill try that
Reply 6
Original post by old_engineer
Your equation should include a constant offset for the (given) mean water height. If that doesn’t fix it please post your working.

im not sure what you mean by constant offset
Original post by joyoustele
I dont think so, but ill try that

It is supposed to be inside the bracket :smile:

Edit: This definitely belongs in Physics, not Maths! I’ve moved it across.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Omg lol OCR A question? I did that one yesterday 😂😂😂
Reply 9
Original post by Protostar
It is supposed to be inside the bracket :smile:

Edit: This definitely belongs in Physics, not Maths! I’ve moved it across.

I tried it, it didnt work

Your calculator is in radians right? I haven’t actually tried the question myself but surely it must work...
Reply 11

U can keep everything in hours as thats what all the relevant measurements are going to be in. The equilibrium position is at 3.5m.

So if u imagine a graph of Acos(wt) in this situation it would not suffice as the equilibrium point is 0 not 3.5, so ur equation should be along the lines of Acos(wt) + 3.5
Original post by Protostar
Your calculator is in radians right? I haven’t actually tried the question myself but surely it must work...

It is in radians. Have you seen my working? is that correct?
Original post by Shaanv
U can keep everything in hours as thats what all the relevant measurements are going to be in. The equilibrium position is at 3.5m.

So if u imagine a graph of Acos(wt) in this situation it would not suffice as the equilibrium point is 0 not 3.5, so ur equation should be along the lines of Acos(wt) + 3.5

Oh wow, It worked Thanks so much.
It is in radians. Have you seen my working? is that correct?

I think that you need to take the 3.5m into account - this is effectively the equilibrium position and so the amplitude will be 1.6m above the 3.5m. So you’d have to add this on somewhere?
Reply 15
Sorry for late reply, i hadnt seen a notification so i thought no one replied to the post.

my working:

Amplitude =1.6
Time Period=12hours*3600(to convert to seconds)
time elapsed=4 hours

x=Acos(2pi/T)t
x=1.6cos(2pi/(12*3600)* (4*3600)

I know this sounds dumb but wondering how you got t=4 (i can see it is from 11-7) but dont know why it isnt just 11?
Original post by Kyrpt
I know this sounds dumb but wondering how you got t=4 (i can see it is from 11-7) but dont know why it isnt just 11?

BTW im no expert, but the simple harmonic motion graph is displacement (Y axis) against time (x axis). Because I started when the tide had maximum amplitude at 7am (cos graph) t=0 at 7 am. And therefore at 11am, t has to = 4hours
Reply 17
BTW im no expert, but the simple harmonic motion graph is displacement (Y axis) against time (x axis). Because I started when the tide had maximum amplitude at 7am (cos graph) t=0 at 7 am. And therefore at 11am, t has to = 4hours

ahhh thankyou
Reply 18
Does anyone have the answer because I think I have tried every answer possible and I can't get it.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by 152355
Does anyone have the answer because I think I have tried every answer possible and I can't get it.
Thank you :smile:

dont know if you still want it but its 2.7

Latest