The Student Room Group

P60 not accepted?

Why would my dad's P60 not be accepted?

My story begins I can't remember when, but I applied before the deadline for making sure i'd get my finance "on time" back in May or whenever that was...

But first a little backstory; last year I had to apply with a current year income assessment because the tax year previously in question was a blip in the chart where my widowed, pensioner father was paid back for a lot of underpayments in previous years in his pension... So I would have got a lot less, because they thought we had a lot more, but that was all sorted, 3 forms and a cover letter later and all was good, but back to this May.

Now, we sent off my dad's P60, (as was accepted last year completely fine) and we are told by Student Finance, by letter, that I will be given the lowest amount.

So we called them, the only answer being- sorry we can't accept your P60... No reason why. I've done as much Googling as I can and can't find a single case of a P60 being "unacceptable"... In any case we asked what they needed... They said we needed to send off for a letter from the department of work and pensions, confirming last years income.

Ok. We can do that, I thought. A BR735 form in particular would be perfect if we could get one they said.

So we call the department of work and pensions. They've never even heard of the BR735 form.

So the person on the phone gets their manager, who has heard of the form but is confused why we'd ever need one as they're defunct. In any case we ask for the letter with the same information and are told it will arrive within 10 days.

10 days pass.
Maybe 10 working days?
10 working* days pass...
On the 11th working day we get the letter, which, we now find has all the information for the coming year... Which, as useful as it should be, isn't useful at all... So we call up again.

This time 10 working days would have been a miracle, apparently getting last years information means that they have to go back into the records and despite that being- clicking on a different file, or at most going to a different filing cabinet, it apparently would now take 28 days. At this point we re-called Student finance to make sure that we were asking for the right thing- still, the P60 wasn't accepted and still, we needed a BR735 or a letter to the same effect.

By the end of week 5 we decided to call again as we hoped that 28 days wasn't counted in working days.

Time to take a deep breath.
They hadn't sent it yet.

The person we were talking to now was a very apologetic young man who didn't understand why it would have never been sent and would send it as soon as he could.
Much to his credit the letter arrived by the end of the week. However, the first page of the letter (of which I'm sure is just a pre-written file but still) was a very passive aggressive address to us about taking care not to lose the information on our P60 as it was wasting both their time and money in the form of printing.

THEIR TIME? THEIR PAPER?

Tell that to the person that wasted their own time, wasting paper on a letter that we didn't even ask for, let alone the amount of our time they wasted in the month long wait in which nothing happened.

But all was ok.
Deep breath.
We had the letter.

So we photocopied it and packed it up with a cover letter that was sent about 3 weeks ago at the time of writing this... We called up a week in as there had been no sign of any recognition that anything was happening and were told they will send a letter on the 3rd... Of next month... Which is once again another 10 working days from today, coincidentally.
Whether that's when I shall recieve the letter or whether that is when it will depart from them, I still don't know; but we were told that they had everything they needed now.

I still am apprehensive as to whether I'll get the full amount I'm entitled to any time soon but theres always hope. In any case I'm living at home this year and therefore don't have to rigidly pay any form or rent specifically... But if I was renting a house as many of my friends are I'd probably be out on the street by now, so that's a little concerning.

But with all that said, things finally seem to be heading towards the right direction. So I'll just return to my first question, as I still don't have an answer-
Original post by Brookey1201

My story begins I can't remember when, but I applied before the deadline for making sure i'd get my finance "on time" back in May or whenever that was...

But first a little backstory; last year I had to apply with a current year income assessment because the tax year previously in question was a blip in the chart where my widowed, pensioner father was paid back for a lot of underpayments in previous years in his pension... So I would have got a lot less, because they thought we had a lot more, but that was all sorted, 3 forms and a cover letter later and all was good, but back to this May.

Now, we sent off my dad's P60, (as was accepted last year completely fine) and we are told by Student Finance, by letter, that I will be given the lowest amount.

So we called them, the only answer being- sorry we can't accept your P60... No reason why. I've done as much Googling as I can and can't find a single case of a P60 being "unacceptable"... In any case we asked what they needed... They said we needed to send off for a letter from the department of work and pensions, confirming last years income.

Ok. We can do that, I thought. A BR735 form in particular would be perfect if we could get one they said.

So we call the department of work and pensions. They've never even heard of the BR735 form.

So the person on the phone gets their manager, who has heard of the form but is confused why we'd ever need one as they're defunct. In any case we ask for the letter with the same information and are told it will arrive within 10 days.

10 days pass.
Maybe 10 working days?
10 working* days pass...
On the 11th working day we get the letter, which, we now find has all the information for the coming year... Which, as useful as it should be, isn't useful at all... So we call up again.

This time 10 working days would have been a miracle, apparently getting last years information means that they have to go back into the records and despite that being- clicking on a different file, or at most going to a different filing cabinet, it apparently would now take 28 days. At this point we re-called Student finance to make sure that we were asking for the right thing- still, the P60 wasn't accepted and still, we needed a BR735 or a letter to the same effect.

By the end of week 5 we decided to call again as we hoped that 28 days wasn't counted in working days.

Time to take a deep breath.
They hadn't sent it yet.

The person we were talking to now was a very apologetic young man who didn't understand why it would have never been sent and would send it as soon as he could.
Much to his credit the letter arrived by the end of the week. However, the first page of the letter (of which I'm sure is just a pre-written file but still) was a very passive aggressive address to us about taking care not to lose the information on our P60 as it was wasting both their time and money in the form of printing.

THEIR TIME? THEIR PAPER?

Tell that to the person that wasted their own time, wasting paper on a letter that we didn't even ask for, let alone the amount of our time they wasted in the month long wait in which nothing happened.

But all was ok.
Deep breath.
We had the letter.

So we photocopied it and packed it up with a cover letter that was sent about 3 weeks ago at the time of writing this... We called up a week in as there had been no sign of any recognition that anything was happening and were told they will send a letter on the 3rd... Of next month... Which is once again another 10 working days from today, coincidentally.
Whether that's when I shall recieve the letter or whether that is when it will depart from them, I still don't know; but we were told that they had everything they needed now.

I still am apprehensive as to whether I'll get the full amount I'm entitled to any time soon but theres always hope. In any case I'm living at home this year and therefore don't have to rigidly pay any form or rent specifically... But if I was renting a house as many of my friends are I'd probably be out on the street by now, so that's a little concerning.

But with all that said, things finally seem to be heading towards the right direction. So I'll just return to my first question, as I still don't have an answer-

Hi Brookey1201,

If your father was asked to provide a BR735, then he must have received either a state retirement pension or some kind of benefit and this would be why we would not accept the P60, as this income would either not show on the P60 or the tax code on the P60 would confirm another source of income.
I hope that this answers your question ?

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi Brookey1201,

If your father was asked to provide a BR735, then he must have received either a state retirement pension or some kind of benefit and this would be why we would not accept the P60, as this income would either not show on the P60 or the tax code on the P60 would confirm another source of income.
I hope that this answers your question ?

Thanks

Louise

Hi, yes he has a state pension... But he also had a state pension last year, and the P60 was fine then? The letter we got from the department of work and pensions simply confirms everything on the P60?
Original post by Brookey1201
Hi, yes he has a state pension... But he also had a state pension last year, and the P60 was fine then? The letter we got from the department of work and pensions simply confirms everything on the P60?

Hi Brookey1201,

I appreciate this but Student Finance require confirmation of income from all sources.
Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply