The Student Room Group

MEng or MSc

I am currently in my 4th year of Chemical Engineering at Aston University just came back from my industrial placement year.

I am confused to stay on and complete the MEng or if I should look to do a MSc at another University? What do you recommend?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Sabrina09
I am currently in my 4th year at Aston University just came back from my industrial placement year.

I am confused to stay on and complete the MEng or if I should look to do a MSc at another University? What do you recommend?

Stay and complete your degree it is the cheapest and most straight-forward plan.
Just stay
It makes life easier for you
Up to you really. If you want a change of scenery (which can really mean a lot of things) and your module options aren't going to be compromised as a result then go for it. Otherwise you won't see any benefit from doing a separate MSc.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
Up to you really. If you want a change of scenery (which can really mean a lot of things) and your module options aren't going to be compromised as a result then go for it. Otherwise you won't see any benefit from doing a separate MSc.

Do you think doing an MSc at more prestigious university will be more beneficial towards me securing a good grad scheme? As I know Aston University is not the most highly ranked
Reply 5
Do you think doing an MSc at more prestigious university will be more beneficial towards me securing a good grad scheme? As I know Aston University is not the most highly ranked

Yo, what is Aston like??
Reply 6
Original post by Texxers
Yo, what is Aston like??

Aston is good for students who struggled in getting the high grades at A-levels. The modules are not too difficult and the courses are well structured. So overall I would say any student who is willing to work hard can achieve a 2:1 at Aston regardless of your previous grades. Another thing great about Aston is its links to Industry, they are great at helping you find a placement. However it is a very small Uni, so sometimes it feels a bit like high school and not as challenging. Really depends on what you are looking for...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Aston is good for students who struggled in getting the high grades at A-levels. The modules are not too difficult and the courses are well structured. So overall I would say any student who is willing to work hard can achieve a 2:1 at Aston regardless of your previous grades. Another thing great about Aston is its links to Industry, they are great at helping you find a placement. However it is a very small Uni, so sometimes it feels a bit like high school and not as challenging. Really depends on what you are looking for...

Yeah, it's one of my main options to study Chem Eng there. And what is the actual city like?
Reply 8
Original post by Texxers
Yeah, it's one of my main options to study Chem Eng there. And what is the actual city like?

Its right in the city centre of Birmigham so everything is within walking distance, which is great. It is good scene for a social life. Definitely recommended city!
Reply 9
Its right in the city centre of Birmigham so everything is within walking distance, which is great. It is good scene for a social life. Definitely recommended city!

Sounds so nice :biggrin:

Thanks!

Chemical Engineering is a vocational degree. As long as it's accredited by the IChemE then the uni doesn't really matter. Employers don't care much about where you do your degree anyway.

You have a year in industry already, arguably that is much more of a reason to hire you than an MSc at a better Uni. I don't think Aston is even that bad...

That said, you should have a fairly good idea of your employment prospects now, having gone through 2 years of uni plus a year in industry. And if you're still feeling they're not great, maybe it would be worth looking into other unis for a MSc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Just stay
Reply 13

It will make no difference.

Also there are funding differences between the MEng and a MSc. Are you a UK Home student? If so the postgrad loan for the MSc is a fixed £10,280 which has to go towards your tuition AND living costs. Staying at Aston to complete the MEng may be a financially better route.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
From a cost point of view I would stay
Since people are mentioning funding, it's worth saying that some universities offer fairly generous scholarships/bursaries for many of their Home master's students. In those cases you would be in a much better financial position had you done an MSc.
Reply 16
Original post by Helloworld_95
Since people are mentioning funding, it's worth saying that some universities offer fairly generous scholarships/bursaries for many of their Home master's students. In those cases you would be in a much better financial position had you done an MSc.

Good point. Although aren't they usually needs- or merit-based? But yes always worth checking availability of additional funding.

Quick Reply

Latest